Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Above the Island

During an overnight stop on our last trip, the wife noticed the lighting 'structure' above the island was crooked. This is the framework above the island that holds the two suspended lights. It was drooping on the right (passenger) side. Climbing up, I found the two screws on the passenger side had sheared. With several more days of travel before home, I decided to remove the entire structure before it fell on the island and destroyed everything. I cut, and taped, the lighting wiring and removed the two screws on the driver side. I stored the structure until home.
    At home, I looked at cause and repair.
    I found there were two "frames" used to attach this structure to the ceiling. A rectangular frame is attached to the ceiling, and then a similar, but slightly larger frame in the lighting structure is screwed into this ceiling frame to hold it in place.
    To my surprise, I found the ceiling frame was not rectangular , while the lighting structure frame was. This resulted in up to a 1 inch gap between the frames. Not surprising the screws sheared.,
    I provided this info to GD Customer Service, but as of yet, have not heard back.
    Anybody else have this problem?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allensworth View Post
    During an overnight stop on our last trip, the wife noticed the lighting 'structure' above the island was crooked. This is the framework above the island that holds the two suspended lights. It was drooping on the right (passenger) side. Climbing up, I found the two screws on the passenger side had sheared. With several more days of travel before home, I decided to remove the entire structure before it fell on the island and destroyed everything. I cut, and taped, the lighting wiring and removed the two screws on the driver side. I stored the structure until home. At home, I looked at cause and repair. I found there were two "frames" used to attach this structure to the ceiling. A rectangular frame is attached to the ceiling, and then a similar, but slightly larger frame in the lighting structure is screwed into this ceiling frame to hold it in place.
    To my surprise, I found the ceiling frame was not rectangular , while the lighting structure frame was. This resulted in up to a 1 inch gap between the frames. Not surprising the screws sheared., I provided this info to GD Customer Service, but as of yet, have not heard back. Anybody else have this problem?
    I haven't seen any other reports of this.

Ours has looked slightly-wonky from the beginning but it remains up while lots of other things have fallen down.

Your post will have me looking more carefully at it. Thanks for typing it up.

P.S. I see you're fairly new here. It's a good idea to create a "signature" containing information such as your name and the year and model of your GD trailer. The signature automatically appears at the bottom of every post; see mine below. You create a signature by clicking on Forum Actions in the dark blue bar above, selecting Edit Profile from the three options there, and then editing your signature under the My Profile options at the left side of the resulting page.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allensworth View Post
    Anybody else have this problem?
    Similar but slightly different problem on our Solitude. On a trip, found the visible (outer) frame lose in one corner. We have the same roughly 1" gap between the inner frame (screwed to the ceiling) and the outer frame (screwed to the inner frame). When they assembled it they screwed one side tight so there was no gap between the frames on one side, which put all of the gap on the other side. The screws they used were to short and only engaged about 1/4" into the inner frame on the side with the wide gap. This is what eventually came loose. I went to the hardware store and got some screws 1" longer. I centered the outer frame so it had an even gap and replace all 4(?) of the screws. Just sloppy workmanship and using to short of screws.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design has agreed to fix or pay for the fix on this. I'm a couple months past my one year warranty, so they could have said no. Happy with their response. I haven't decided whether I'm gonna do it, or have a dealership. Nearest service center has 2+ month wait, the one I bought from is 60+ miles away.