User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford F250

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford F250

We are about to purchase the GD 150 series Reflection 295 RL. I am looking at a vehicle for towing and the 2020 Ford f250 has caught my eye. I currently pull my travel trailer with a Ford Expedition. I was wondering if anyone was pulling their fifth wheel with an F250 and wanted to know how it is holding up. We are looking at the Gas version of the truck. Any modifications I should make to it like gear ratio? Any must haves on the truck.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    I was wondering if anyone was pulling their fifth wheel with an F250...
    I would guess the majority of folks pulling 5th wheels are using 3/4 ton trucks. If you want to make sure you'll have no problems exceeding your payload rating, I would recommend an F-350. Rides the same when empty but has an overload spring to increase payload when hitched to a 5th wheel. Plus you'll have the payload you need if you choose to get a larger 5th wheel later. If you get a gas engine and want better towing performance, choose a higher rear gear ratio (e.g. 4.10 or 4.30).

As for must haves...that's totally subjective. I have a Platinum model because my "must have" list is pretty long. Others prefer the simplicity of an XL. Less to break later.

Good luck shopping!
    Last edited by bertschb; 03-09-2020 at 05:46 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on getting the 350 vs 250. Go test drive both and compare prices. You shouldn't see a big difference in either category.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just picked up our 260RD, also a 150 Reflection Series. I opted for the RAM 3500 Limited CTD (wanted a Ford but they are now too tall for my garage). I chose to go for the 1 ton for three reasons. I was finding it hard to find a 3/4 ton with enough payload in the configuration I wanted. I like some of the new whizz bang stuff like adaptive cruise etc but eventually all that stuff affects payload capability. I figured about 2000lbs was a reasonable loaded payload. The 3500s payload is way over that which leads me to my next reason. Second, it is unlikely but we may want a slightly bigger/ fancier 5er in the future so I bought the future truck now (what guy ever said I bought too much truck - no one - ha,ha). Third, the difference in price is tiny given the total cost so why not. I did get a diesel and absolutely love towing our rig with it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. The DW and I have decided that this will be our last RV purchase. We want to pay off our house more than we want a larger RV. This RV will serve us until retirement and beyond. We do not do much boondocking so, it has all we need for the future. At this point, the only thing that will happen with our kids and they will grow up and go off on their own.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to a lot going with the 7.3 gas. Probably a good middle ground between the 6.2 gasser and diesel. And the gas engine won’t hurt your payload like my F250 diesel. I’m around 2200 lbs. I’d go with the higher gear ratio. 4.30, I think.
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jury's finally in on the 7.3 gas motor, and so far it's a hit.

It's substantially stronger towing than GM's new 6.6 gas engine. With 8-9-10 gears being overdrives, 4.30:1 is not as harsh as it sounds. But if you're towing under 10K lbs., the 3.73:1 gear would be sufficient and get better fuel mileage.

I've got a F250 diesel, but it's the last month of 7.3 diesel motors--17 years ago. Keeping such trucks for the long term is where the value comes in. It's still a great truck.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Research the new 7.3 gas motor and you will be impressed. The fuel economy for non towing is very respectable but it has the ability to pull heavy loads. Many youtubes on this engine and all very positive. It has enough torque to utilize a 10 speed transmission. F250/F350 is very similar with only the springs being the main difference. Modern diesels are dead with all the EPA crap now required. Many people delete the bad stuff but it's illegal and will void your warranty. This new 7.3 is about a $2000 option and this sure beats a $10K price for a diesel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    Research the new 7.3 gas motor and you will be impressed. The fuel economy for non towing is very respectable but it has the ability to pull heavy loads. Many youtubes on this engine and all very positive. It has enough torque to utilize a 10 speed transmission. F250/F350 is very similar with only the springs being the main difference. Modern diesels are dead with all the EPA crap now required. Many people delete the bad stuff but it's illegal and will void your warranty. This new 7.3 is about a $2000 option and this sure beats a $10K price for a diesel.
    You know why a diesel is 10 a grand option? Because it is worth it! IMO. For light towing the gassser is ok, I guess......
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I would guess the majority of folks pulling 5th wheels are using 3/4 ton trucks. If you want to make sure you'll have no problems exceeding your payload rating, I would recommend an F-350. Rides the same when empty but has an overload spring to increase payload when hitched to a 5th wheel. Plus you'll have the payload you need if you choose to get a larger 5th wheel later. If you get a gas engine and want better towing performance, choose a higher rear gear ratio (e.g. 4.10 or 4.30).

As for must haves...that's totally subjective. I have a Platinum model because my "must have" list is pretty long. Others prefer the simplicity of an XL. Less to break later.

Good luck shopping!
    When we bought our truck, upgrading to a one ton only added about $600.
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast