User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 2250RK Owner

Hello everyone

We purchased the 2250RK in September of 2018. We have logged about 150 nights and about 12,000 miles so far. I have been evolving the set up a bit and started looking here for ideas. Which made me think I should share as well. So here we are.

Functionally, the biggest change we made was unplanned. We had a bent back axle, which I was totally oblivious to. It caused a tire failure around 3500 miles and the tire on the other side went about a thousand later. That's when I figured out it was the axle. We had it aligned in Casper Wyoming and continued our trip. Back home I took it to the dealer. The blown tires had damaged the skirts on both sides. I believed that replacement should be covered by warranty. I also wanted them to replace the axle and I hoped that would be covered by the warranty as well. I also had a secret plan. If GD would pay for the new axle, I would pay the difference to upgrade to heavier duty axles. (the 2250RK has 3500# axles, my "road weight" was 6500 lbs, so there was not that much headroom).

I lucked out and there was a GD manufacturing guy visiting my dealership. Basically he said it shouldn't have happened, at they would cover everything. Everything turned out to include the axle upgrade! And they came with new wheels! I'm sporting a pair of 4400 lb Dexter axles and a fierce loyalty to Grand Design.

The trailer rides better with the bigger axles and I have a lot more headroom with respect to weight.

Axles aside, we love the basic layout of this little trailer.

Steve
    Steve & Sheryl

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome Steve & Sheryl,
    Sorry that happened, but great story with satisfactory outcome! Glad you shared it with us.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, we're pushing 6300lbs right now. Hopefully we don't run into your unfortunate event but have no where near your mileage yet. Can you elaborate on your statement of 'trailer rides better?' - what the most significant difference you feel in the TV?
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My customer service with GD has been excellent also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my first trailer, any sort of braking or bumpy-ness on the road and the trailer would "surge." for a bit. I assumed it was the trailer rocking fore and aft and altering the tongue weight on the truck. Cranking down on the chains and tightening the sway bar helped but didn't eliminate it. I thought about going more nose down, but we were accumulating dislikes of the whole rig and had bigger plans.

When we got the 2250 we also switched to an Equalizer hitch. The new setup almost never surged, and when it did it dampened out very quickly. That's gone completely with the new axles. It also handles the bumpy roads better. The new axle has rubber shocks/dampers on the center hanger, I attribute the ride changes to that more than anything else.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. We've only towed the unit about 700 miles to date and have noticed what you describe as 'surging' but the TV and trailer recover quickly. Will keep an eye out on those axles though.
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof