User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is my truck big enough?

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting but I have been looking around the forums for awhile. My wife and I will be taking a trip across the US this summer from Washington to Minnesota, down to Florida, back through Texasand up through Nevada. I have a 29' Jayco Eagle that I will be towing. As of right now my tow vehicle is a 2004 2500 Avalanche. The GVW for the Jayco is 7600 lbs. Am I going to be safe pulling this with the Jayco? I was looking at a 1999 f350 super duty with the 6.8l motor as an alternative. If the Avalanche isn't enough then will this be or do I need a diesel?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Chris

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have enough truck but for a trip like this you will use a lot of fuel. There are some serious mountain passes to cross. Like the one just out side of Idaho into Montana. It gets better in North Dakota. If it was me and I would go with what I have and not buy a used truck you have no history with. If you have the funds than a new truck may be the ticket for a trip like this. Would a diesel be a better choice ? You bet but I wouldn't just get one for just one trip. If you go with a Ford than a 15 and newer is the best choice for the 6.7 diesel.
    I got a used 5th wheel a 03 that was gently used and there was no way I could trust a truck that was used. After all it's what gets you there and back. I have made the trip you are going on and we had a blast.We went all the way to Maine down the east coast to Florida and back to California. Lots to see and do. it took us 3 months to do our trips. We did 2. One northern route and one southern route coming back across the middle of the country.
    Have fun and you will take lots of pictures.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure you have a good weight distribution hitch and sway control. You won't go up the mountains very fast but you will be OK. I have smaller camper, weighs about 4300lbs plus a family of 5 in the TV, that I pulled to the west coast (Oregon) from MN with a half ton Tahoe. We averaged 10MPG on the trip. I think the 2500 should be plenty of truck for that trailer. My Dad pulls a trailer about the size you have with a 2014 Dodge 2500 gasser and has no problems with it. Like I said, a good hitch with good sway control is key.
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L
    B&W Companion non-slider Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwagon View Post
    Just make sure you have a good weight distribution hitch and sway control. You won't go up the mountains very fast but you will be OK. I have smaller camper, weighs about 4300lbs plus a family of 5 in the TV, that I pulled to the west coast (Oregon) from MN with a half ton Tahoe. We averaged 10MPG on the trip. I think the 2500 should be plenty of truck for that trailer. My Dad pulls a trailer about the size you have with a 2014 Dodge 2500 gasser and has no problems with it. Like I said, a good hitch with good sway control is key.
    Thanks Jackwagon. I have a Reese sway control hitch. If I tow it with the Avalanch I will install airbags and an aux transmission cooler also. I am not that concerned about mileage, just as long as I can make it to the next station. I mostly just wanted to know if it was safe or not. I have lots of time if I have to drive slow, just pull off often.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisabroad View Post
    Thanks Jackwagon. I have a Reese sway control hitch. If I tow it with the Avalanch I will install airbags and an aux transmission cooler also. I am not that concerned about mileage, just as long as I can make it to the next station. I mostly just wanted to know if it was safe or not. I have lots of time if I have to drive slow, just pull off often.
    Yeah, we had to stop for gas really often with our Tahoe, only a 20 gal tank... We bought a F350 with the 6.7L diesel now for the 5er we just bought and it has 34 gal tank. We are going to Florida in a couple weeks with the small camper for "one last trip" in it and I am really looking forward to towing with the F350 and having much more range!

Have a great trip! If you are in the Duluth, MN area and need anything shoot me a message. Safe travels!
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing your 2500 Avalanch has the same drive line as my 02 GMC 1500 HD. 6.0L V-8, 4L80E transmission. If that is the case, do yourself a favor and bring a couple 6 gallon fuel cans full.

A number of years ago we took a snowmobile trip out to Wyoming. 4 of us in the truck the trailer we were pulling was a 26 foot, 8 foot wide enclosed snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds in it. During that trip, out and back, never did I get 10 mpg. Typical mileage on that trip was 6 to 7 mpg, with an all time worst of 5-5.5 mpg. There were a few times were the mileage between towns was such that we literally came in on fumes.

The few times I pulled my Imagine 2970, mpg was in that 6-7 mpg range.

Have a safe trip!

Your truck will probably do ok. Long hills you will be in 2nd gear at 50 mph.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisabroad View Post
    One other thing I wanted to mention was mph, we kept it to 65 MPH max do to tire rating and also that is about where the 2006 Tahoe with 5.3L V8 had the best power. Any faster and I think you can have more sway issues and MPG falls way off over 60 - 65 MPH. Not sure what engine you have. Results will vary also since you are pulling a heavier trailer.
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Engine do you have in the truck? Anything 6.0 or bigger should be fine.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His 2500 Avalanch should have either a 6.0L or an 8.1L. I'd be really surprised if it were an 8.1L.

If it's a 6.0L hopefully he's got 4.11 gears, otherwise that truck is going to work. My 1500HD (basically a 2500) with a 6.0L has 3.73 gears. It pulls our 2970 pretty well around Minnesota, but I would not want to pull that rig in the long hills out in South Dakota going into a wind.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6.0 with 4.10 gears should be plenty I would think. My truck has that arrangement, but then it's newer with a 6 speed transmission
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast