User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    By law, or is your fuel different (goes bad too fast)? I'm guessing the first, but the 2nd, even I'm a little worried about that, I burn a lot of diesel, but 1000 gallons at a time is well.. A whole lot of fuel!
    I think it more law but the gas is crap but they have good diesel. Its the most expensive fuel in the nation.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the change with TSD (losing FlyingJ) coupled with the low oil prices has spurred me to action, I decided it was time to buy a transfer tank and mount it on my trailer so I could carry more fuel around (because Loves is further away from me than FlyingJ is, so now it's a bit of a ride to get fuel). Thought I'd share my first fuel up on the transfer tank (and the truck, which wasn't empty). 85 dollars saved on this one, 120 gallons of diesel at 1.54/gallon. While it's a PITA to drive right past FlyingJ to get to Loves, I'll do the extra 10 miles all day long to save almost 100 bucks a fill up! Also, this makes it so I can use the cheap fuel in my tractors and farm implements (it's really hard/impossible to fill up portable diesel cans off a truck pump, they are too fast/nozzle too big). My payback period, neglecting any swings in fuel price (if the price of fuel goes up, it shortens, of course) for the whole transfer tank setup is about 5-6 fill ups (at 100 gallons per fill up). Should get through that in a year or so, made sense for me to buy the tank (also, my wife drives a diesel vehicle that can't fill from a truck pump, it has a capless tank, which she can now fill at home from the transfer tank). Hopefully (almost certainly not) someone from FlyingJ/Pilot sees this kind of behavior and reacts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200330-092814_EFS CardControl.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	25587

FYI, Pilot (my old filling station) was 2.25/gallon when I drove by. The cheapest I've seen locally advertised is around 2.20/gallon. So, minimum savings here is about .70/gallon with TSD.
    Last edited by Overtaxed; 03-30-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the change with TSD (losing FlyingJ) coupled with the low oil prices has spurred me to action, I decided it was time to buy a transfer tank and mount it on my trailer so I could carry more fuel around (because Loves is further away from me than FlyingJ is, so now it's a bit of a ride to get fuel). Thought I'd share my first fuel up on the transfer tank (and the truck, which wasn't empty). 85 dollars saved on this one, 120 gallons of diesel at 1.54/gallon. While it's a PITA to drive right past FlyingJ to get to Loves, I'll do the extra 10 miles all day long to save almost 100 bucks a fill up! Also, this makes it so I can use the cheap fuel in my tractors and farm implements (it's really hard/impossible to fill up portable diesel cans off a truck pump, they are too fast/nozzle too big). My payback period, neglecting any swings in fuel price (if the price of fuel goes up, it shortens, of course) for the whole transfer tank setup is about 5-6 fill ups (at 100 gallons per fill up). Should get through that in a year or so, made sense for me to buy the tank (also, my wife drives a diesel vehicle that can't fill from a truck pump, it has a capless tank, which she can now fill at home from the transfer tank). Hopefully (almost certainly not) someone from FlyingJ/Pilot sees this kind of behavior and reacts.

FYI, Pilot (my old filling station) was 2.25/gallon when I drove by. The cheapest I've seen locally advertised is around 2.20/gallon. So, minimum savings here is about .70/gallon with TSD.
    Now that is what I call a SUCCESS Story !!! I am sure your ROI will be even shorter because now you can fill your wife's car too.

PS: be chivalrous and always fill up your wife's car, she will love you for it !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Now that is what I call a SUCCESS Story !!! I am sure your ROI will be even shorter because now you can fill your wife's car too.

PS: be chivalrous and always fill up your wife's car, she will love you for it !!!
    LOL, she'd agree with that. When we were discussing it, I'm going through all the financial stuff trying to figure it out and her only question.. "Does this mean I never need to go to the gas station again"? IDK what it is, I honestly kind of like stopping for fuel, chance to stretch my legs, get out of the car.. But she HATES it. Having fuel in the back yard is like a dream come true for her. Whatever, works for me, she's happy, I'm happy. Now I just need to figure out some way past her stupid capless diesel tank. I need to get a "standard" diesel pump size (the one on the auto diesel side, not a truck diesel pump and not a gas pump) to open her tank. It's ridiculous. Designed to keep you from accidentally putting diesel into your car, a problem that I've never had, but I've had a lot of problems caused by that stupid cap! <end rant>

And yes, I agree, the ROI would be faster but, given the travel restrictions, we're not driving either my truck or her vehicle very much. Still using the hell out of the tractors though!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't save as much as you "taxed" , but it's definitely cheaper then at a regular station. The lowest price for diesel is around $2.47.

P.S. I have the cap-less fuel tank hole and the big nozzle fits. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's still pretty darn good, you saved almost a buck a gallon. You just need a bigger tank! Allow me to help you on to path to insanity.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5489_200395489

Feel like with a big enough tank, I could actually start making money I'd save so much. I finally understand how "sale prices" motivate people to action.

Yeah, it's a real PITA, her truck will ONLY take the "regular sized" diesel pump nozzle. It really stinks, no truck pumps and also, adding a little more misery, the transfer pump also has a size that doesn't work on her truck. It's incredible sensitive, there's only a little difference (1/16th or 1/8th?) between a standard diesel and a standard diesel pump. Technology solving a problem that honestly, should not exist.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456