User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2017 Ford F350 Short Bed with OEM prep kit & Andersen Goseeneck or Reese Goosebox

Solitude is set to arrive in 3 weeks and we are trying to make a final hitch decision. Wanting to stay as light as possible, so we are debating between Andersen Gooseneck or swapping out our pinbox and doing the Reese Goosebox. Interested in feedback from those with a similar set up and experience with either of these two hitches. Considerations:

Warranty- Understood that the Andersen presents a potential concern with the Lippert warranty issue. I did reach out to Lippert and received an email stating they don't endorse the Andersen and that if the hitch were to be used and cause damage to upper deck or frame, they would not be able to assist with repairs to the unit. Sounds like this is a non-issue with the Reese Goosebox. Interested if anyone has actually had frame issues when running the Andersen. Also understand that warranty is a non-issue with the Goosebox.

Turning Radius- Feedback on whether either of these is significantly better or worse than the other given the Ford Short Bed (6.5ft) situation. We can't use the offset ball for the Reese with the OEM prep kit I understand.

Bed Rail Clearance- Again, feedback on whether either of these is significantly better or worse with our truck configuration?

Hooking Up- I have read that lining up the Goosebox can be on the challenging side..... Anyone experienced with this that can comment on how challenging this is? (We are newbies to fifth wheel towing....)

Chucking- From what I've ready, neither of these options have significant chucking problems, but please provide feedback if you have a different experience.

Greatly appreciate the feedback and would like to limit comments to those actually using either of these configurations if possible! Who would have thought that picking out a hitch, would be more challenging than picking the trailer???

Thanks in advance!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kim_e83 View Post
    Solitude is set to arrive in 3 weeks and we are trying to make a final hitch decision. Wanting to stay as light as possible, so we are debating between Andersen Gooseneck or swapping out our pinbox and doing the Reese Goosebox. Interested in feedback from those with a similar set up and experience with either of these two hitches. Considerations:

Warranty- Understood that the Andersen presents a potential concern with the Lippert warranty issue. I did reach out to Lippert and received an email stating they don't endorse the Andersen and that if the hitch were to be used and cause damage to upper deck or frame, they would not be able to assist with repairs to the unit. Sounds like this is a non-issue with the Reese Goosebox. Interested if anyone has actually had frame issues when running the Andersen. Also understand that warranty is a non-issue with the Goosebox.

Turning Radius- Feedback on whether either of these is significantly better or worse than the other given the Ford Short Bed (6.5ft) situation. We can't use the offset ball for the Reese with the OEM prep kit I understand.

Bed Rail Clearance- Again, feedback on whether either of these is significantly better or worse with our truck configuration?

Hooking Up- I have read that lining up the Goosebox can be on the challenging side..... Anyone experienced with this that can comment on how challenging this is? (We are newbies to fifth wheel towing....)

Chucking- From what I've ready, neither of these options have significant chucking problems, but please provide feedback if you have a different experience.

Greatly appreciate the feedback and would like to limit comments to those actually using either of these configurations if possible! Who would have thought that picking out a hitch, would be more challenging than picking the trailer???

Thanks in advance!
    Anybody???

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things: 1) the Andersen Ultimate is not a gooseneck hitch and using the two terms together is the source of a lot of confusion. The hitch, like the B&W Companion, merely attaches to the truck using a gooseneck turnover ball; 2) using an Andersen Ultimate hitch in no way affects the Lippert frame warranty.

The width of a Solitude makes things a bit dicey with a short bed truck. Though I'm a fan of the Andersen hitches (and pulled over 12,000 miles with one), my advice would be to go with an auto-slider like the PullRite or Demco for a Solitude on a short bed truck.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    A couple of things: 1) the Andersen Ultimate is not a gooseneck hitch and using the two terms together is the source of a lot of confusion. The hitch, like the B&W Companion, merely attaches to the truck using a gooseneck turnover ball; 2) using an Andersen Ultimate hitch in no way affects the Lippert frame warranty.

The width of a Solitude makes things a bit dicey with a short bed truck. Though I'm a fan of the Andersen hitches (and pulled over 12,000 miles with one), my advice would be to go with an auto-slider like the PullRite or Demco for a Solitude on a short bed truck.

Rob
    I agree with everything said here. While I understand being weight conscious... the extra width of the Solitude will pose a problem on a SB truck. I had the Demco on my F350 - very solid hook up, and built like a tank.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kim_e83 View Post
    Warranty- Understood that the Andersen presents a potential concern with the Lippert warranty issue. I did reach out to Lippert and received an email stating they don't endorse the Andersen and that if the hitch were to be used and cause damage to upper deck or frame, they would not be able to assist with repairs to the unit. Sounds like this is a non-issue with the Reese Goosebox.
    Do you know that Reese and Lippert have a close working relationship? Some suspect that has helped shape their policy re: warranty.

We have the same truck that you do, and a Pullrite Superglide. There's much I don't like about the Pullrite (you can find other posts by me here about it). I was in deep lust about replacing it with the Anderson Ultimate for a while, then in lust for a Reese Goosebox.

I've reluctantly settled with the Pullrite. It has done the job that neither of those other hitches can do in assuring that I never have a cab-crushing brain fart in a busy fuel station or tight campground.

As others have warned, the extra width of the Solitude is a significant factor. We had a Reflection first, with the Pullrite. I had a BackRack on the truck, no problem with clearance at any time. We traded it in, and as I was pulling our brand-new Solitude out of the inspection shed an employee stopped me frantically. I was just about to run the trailer into the BackRack as I turned out of the shed. Even with the Pullrite moving the trailer back a claimed 14", our Solitude needs nearly ALL of the space behind the cab when turning sharply. The BackRack had to go.

Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As has already been stated you will hit your cab with the Solitude unless you get a slider. I use the Pullrite Superglide on the factory puck system & love it. I never have to worry about hitting the cab.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took delivery on new Momentum 353G towing with Ram 3500 short bed. Previously had Reflection 337. Had a Reese Goose box on 337 and put it on 353G. Differences...337 has Lippert 1621 hitch (15000 lbs hitch) . 353G has Lippert 1621 HD (18000lbs). Bracket is larger drops down an inch or so more then 337. The hitch bracket on Momentum touched my bed cover rail ( no damage) compared to 337. My options are remove bed cover or make a cut out on bed cover rail..have done neither yet. The good news is the Momentum has MORE clearance on truck cab to trailer cap than 337!
    I like the Goose box for all the reasons on previous posts.
    So new Momentum fresh off line..garage AC vibrates..took off inside cover tighten mount bolts which helped. Looked at AC fan and it is missing a blade which is why it vibrates. Thank you GD and Coleman!
    Also thermostats have a lot of black background when adjusting temperature cannot read thermostat numbers. Doesn’t do every time but I have pictures!
    Tire and rims..first stop on walk around one tire was low..valve stem loose on rim, tighten it up ...could have caused blowout! I will check those when I check tire pressure from now on!
    Happy Travels...

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You running an offset ball?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are purchasing a new Momentum, and I'm all over the place considering what hitch to run. Was told the Momentum has a full profile front cap, though the corners do appear tapered a bit to my eyes.
    Current options with 2020 Ford F-350 SWB w/factory prep:
    Pullrite Superlite 2600 - Base offers 4.5" offset, king pin connection offers additional 3.5" (similar to Andersen setup, so I won't list that one as an option)
    Pullrite Superglide with OEM Puck connection - Heavy, expensive, but likely the most worry free of the bunch. Difficult connecting at angles, which I've needed to do often
    Reese Goosebox/Gen Y Executive - Concern here is I will not be able to run an offset due to factory prep - Workaround: Purchase factory puck rail adapter (Curt, Reese, Demco all make similar products), purchase Curt 3" offset ball (This actually gives a 4" offset from center of OEM goose, because the OEM goose sits ~1" forward of axle on Ford)

Downsides - Won't be able to hook-up to other fifth wheels (have already encountered a couple scenarios where I needed to move either a friends or families fifth wheel, though this is a seldom occurence)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by ScottieD82; 03-18-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2017 F350 CCSB with factory pucks. I used the AUH without issue on a Reflection... but would seriously hesitate with the wider Solitudes. For me, I'd want an autoslider.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast