User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mattress help from Grand Design CS

Having taken delivery of our Solitude the week before Thanksgiving and having slept in it every day (and some nights) since, the mattress was found to be totally lacking. The mattress was only 6 inches high to begin with and then was at the point that it was on 1 to 1 1/5 inches thick at the depression. I could take the palm of my hand and press the edges down to less than 1 inch. I went back to the dealer in January for the gen install and forgot to mention it as other things popped up (like TV getting broken into at hotel . I sent a help request to the mother ship and had a reply a few hours later wanting a little more info and some pics. The next day I had an email telling me to pick out and purchase what I wanted and that if I sent a copy of the sales invoice that they would reimburse me for part of it. We decided on a memory foam mattress from Costco and I finally sent the ppw to her, and the next day I was told when the check would be mailed. As has been said before, mattresses are extremely subjective to the personal preferences of the person. She did tell me that they were transitioning to Serta mattresses. I did see lots of signs for Serta Mattresses in new units at the show, so evidently they are trying to tap into that wasteland that is the RV sized mattress market. The only downside is that the real king sheets are too big and with the much taller mattress the RV king sheets are "ain't no way in hell".
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol! The sheets - that made me laugh! We have had lots of that over the years. Nice to see GD is trying to upgrade at least their supplier. In my opinion, the better solution is to do layouts that accept standard, residential size beds. Also, I'd be one preferring to have a mattress delete option with a couple hundred bucks credit. Fortunately, our 3350RL was able to accommodate a California King size, and the Purple 3 Hybrid is exceptional for Nikki and I as two very, very different sizes and different support needs.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is awesome GD stepped up (once again) and helped you out. Even though our bed was horrible we were just glad it was a residential size. It took one outing (5 yrs ago) to know we were going mattress shopping very soon.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice that they stepped up like that! We (More DW than me) didn't like ours and went through two different toppers before she found one she likes. The first topper was horrible, and I can normally sleep for at least a little while on anything - except that!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great they helped out. That Serta mattress however I suspect is just marketing. My previous TT had a Serta and it too was a lump, about the same as I have now. The memory foam topper helped /helps out in both cases.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you watch Go Rving on GAC, lots of people seem to like the mattresses in the rigs. Why I don't know because I have owned two TT's prior to this and the mattresses were horrible. This one was as stated above.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    If you watch Go Rving on GAC, lots of people seem to like the mattresses in the rigs. Why I don't know because I have owned two TT's prior to this and the mattresses were horrible. This one was as stated above.
    Probably because they've not slept on it yet or any length of time!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Great they helped out. That Serta mattress however I suspect is just marketing. My previous TT had a Serta and it too was a lump, about the same as I have now. The memory foam topper helped /helps out in both cases.
    Serta has a wide variety of mattresses, junk and good. If an RV manufacturer is putting in a Serta mattress, guess which one will be used?

The Raptor 356 I have ordered is in and I'm trading the motorhome in but keeping the mattress from it. It's a Sleep Innovations, similar to high end Tempurpedic and very comfortable to sleep on even after 13 years. I knew the POS in the Raptor was going to get replaced with something, this just saved me a trip to Sam's.
    Last edited by chunker; 03-15-2020 at 10:16 PM.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Thor class C had a Denver mattress and we loved it so much that we tried to get the same mattress for the house. Had the Solitude had a queen bed, we were going to take it with us.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really liked the mattress in our Momentum until we slept on it for a few months; then it was terrible.
    Several of the people we follow on YouTube suggested Mattress Insider, so we called them.
    The fellow we talked to talked us out of their memory foam mattress and into a residential style pocket coil (same price). He said for full-timers, we would have to replace the memory foam one every year as it would break down from regular use.
    We love our new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 380TH
    2019 Ram 3500 Bighorn DRW OEM hitch
    2 x 2016 Moto Guzzi Audace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast