User Tag List

Thread: New tow vehicle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New tow vehicle

Hi y'all. I've been contemplating getting a new truck. I currently have a 2005 Ford with the dreaded 6.0 diesel. I've already gone through a blown head gasket due to failed EGR. Had it all fixed and did a EGR delete by welding it closed. Needed a tuner to get rid of the check engine light. After that had a couple bad injectors but since having it fixed have been using bio diesel when I can or adding Diesel Kleen when I can't, since the diesel fuel changed to ULSD. Since all this the truck has been great, reliable and obviously, cheap to operate. I have gauges to keep an eye on things, a large turbo back exhaust to keep it cooler, an exhaust brake (had to delete the cat) and this engine loves to work. This motor, with the slight tow tune I have pulls pretty good for what I'm towing.I have never reenable to use the cruise control while towing until recently after I bought a new Reflection which is lighter than what I was towing in the past. Going up grades I just have to be patient but I get frustrated when I get passed by a new truck pulling something bigger than what I pull. I get about 10 mpg when towing, 18.5 otherwise. I don't drive it much when not towing. These new trucks put 1,000 lb.ft torque, twice what I have. Now they have better transmissions with more gears. But they are EXPENSIVE and what I can tell is that the emissions is a motor killer and the government has put a stop to deletes in these new trucks.
    I guess my question is: are the new trucks worth the money? I'm not even brand specific but I have seen pros and cons on every brand out there. I am partial to the diesel. I've seen guys on YouTube pulling HEAVY loads up grades at 65-70mph at less than 2000rpm (where the power is I guess). Just not sure if it's worth the price. I know a lot of you guys have the newer trucks.
    Brian and Lori
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideblue51 View Post
    I guess my question is: are the new trucks worth the money?
    Worth the money? They must be because people like me keep buying them! The problem (for me) is there is no good alternative. Having owned a diesel, I won't go back to gas for towing heavy loads. So, the question then becomes new or used? Since I can afford new, enjoy the new gadgets available on new trucks and don't like owning anything that isn't reliable (and not under warranty), I choose new. I love my 2020 F-350 but I cringe when I think of what I could buy with the money we spent on it (MSRP was $85,430!!). Especially since it will be driven half a dozen times a year. It would be cheaper for me to just hire somebody to move my RV around! Heck, I could hire a full time driver for a couple years for the money I spent. You know what they say though - you can't take it with you and with what's going on in the world, I'm glad I'm enjoying the new truck while I can.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Worth the money? They must be because people like me keep buying them! The problem (for me) is there is no good alternative. Having owned a diesel, I won't go back to gas for towing heavy loads. So, the question then becomes new or used? Since I can afford new, enjoy the new gadgets available on new trucks and don't like owning anything that isn't reliable (and not under warranty), I choose new. I love my 2020 F-350 but I cringe when I think of what I could buy with the money we spent on it (MSRP was $85,430!!). Especially since it will be driven half a dozen times a year. It would be cheaper for me to just hire somebody to move my RV around! Heck, I could hire a full time driver for a couple years for the money I spent. You know what they say though - you can't take it with you and with what's going on in the world, I'm glad I'm enjoying the new truck while I can.
    Couldn't have said it better myself Brian. I only put 6000 miles on my 2019 F350 in 18 months, used strictly for towing but it was sure nice to have. I plan to drive the 450 much more. Life's too short to not enjoy the nicer things while we can. Rideblue51 yes the new diesels are worth the money, they have become amazingly capable machines for their intended task...towing! Go drive one and see if you agree. I really believe if you maintain it well you will get a long life out of any of the new diesels.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they worth the money???? Good question. About a year ago (April 2019), we decide to trade in our 33' Cross Roads Cruiser and purchase the 28G Momentum toy hauler. My vehicle at the time was a 2003 RAM 5.9 cummins diesel short bed. I had a little over a 100K on this truck so no issues with mileage or pulling the Cross Roads for years with this truck. When we picked up the new 28G even though the weight was within the 2003 ability I could defiantly tell the difference. It was a windy stormy day when I towed the new trailer home and with the bigger surface area I felt the wind shear and could tell right away the heavier trailer was forcing the 2003 to remain in the lower gears unlike with the Cross Road trailer. Long story short, while having my Dodge Durango serviced, I took a look at the inventory of new RAM trucks and found a 2018 Big Horn Edition long bed with the 6.7 liter diesel. Since it was a 2018 the dealership had a number of discounts wanting to get it off the lot for the 2019 inventory. Shortly after the purchase we took the new trailer and truck out for a shakedown trip (roughly 40 miles to a nearby campground). On this trip we passed the dealership where we had purchased the 28G so it was a good test of the new truck and how it pulled due to the same route. I immediately noticed the difference, felt much safer along with the ability to pass when needed. Even though I now have truck payment which I did not before I would recommend a new vehicle if you can manage it. Since buying both, I have been on multiple trips including a 1200 mile round trip with the trailer loaded with quads etc. and had no issues. I am happy with the decision to upgrade the truck and the peace of mind is worth it.
    Hope this helps.
    Scott O.
    2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
    2019 28G Momentum

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideblue51 View Post
    Hi y'all. I've been contemplating getting a new truck. I currently have a 2005 Ford with the dreaded 6.0 diesel. I've already gone through a blown head gasket due to failed EGR. Had it all fixed and did a EGR delete by welding it closed. Needed a tuner to get rid of the check engine light. After that had a couple bad injectors but since having it fixed have been using bio diesel when I can or adding Diesel Kleen when I can't, since the diesel fuel changed to ULSD. Since all this the truck has been great, reliable and obviously, cheap to operate. I have gauges to keep an eye on things, a large turbo back exhaust to keep it cooler, an exhaust brake (had to delete the cat) and this engine loves to work. This motor, with the slight tow tune I have pulls pretty good for what I'm towing.I have never reenable to use the cruise control while towing until recently after I bought a new Reflection which is lighter than what I was towing in the past. Going up grades I just have to be patient but I get frustrated when I get passed by a new truck pulling something bigger than what I pull. I get about 10 mpg when towing, 18.5 otherwise. I don't drive it much when not towing. These new trucks put 1,000 lb.ft torque, twice what I have. Now they have better transmissions with more gears. But they are EXPENSIVE and what I can tell is that the emissions is a motor killer and the government has put a stop to deletes in these new trucks.
    I guess my question is: are the new trucks worth the money? I'm not even brand specific but I have seen pros and cons on every brand out there. I am partial to the diesel. I've seen guys on YouTube pulling HEAVY loads up grades at 65-70mph at less than 2000rpm (where the power is I guess). Just not sure if it's worth the price. I know a lot of you guys have the newer trucks.
    I have a 15 F250 and I have not had a single emission problem. There was a recall on the CCV box and that was fixed. My truck is still stock and 65,000 miles and the truck has been relatively trouble free. I had the oil pan leak but the newer 19's and 20's seem to have that problem solved. I also had a mysterious leak from behind the motor.
    That was fixed under the diesel warranty. Motor has been a solid work horse other that. The exhaust brake is nice. I have the Lariat trim without the sun roof. LOL I am a loyal Ford owner and have 5 fords in the driveway. I like my 6 speed transmission. My truck has been coast to coast towing and my truck never had a problem pulling any mountain and I have been over most of them. They are expensive for sure but if you buy one you won't regret it. Some guys delete there trucks but you don't need to tune the new trucks to get them to work. They work right out of the box.