User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 2250RK Front Cap LED lights inoperative

I haven't really started to poke around yet so thought I would ask first. Has anyone had an experience where the cap lights were working fine and then while on and driving at night they just stopped working at some-point, never to come on again yet. Before I tear into the switch and trace wiring maybe someone has had the same issue and can assist.
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only issue I've had with mine since new is a 3" section came unglued so I glued it back down. Other than that, they continue to work fine. good luck with your repair.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll let the community know what I find
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M&Lcamping View Post
    I haven't really started to poke around yet so thought I would ask first. Has anyone had an experience where the cap lights were working fine and then while on and driving at night they just stopped working at some-point, never to come on again yet. Before I tear into the switch and trace wiring maybe someone has had the same issue and can assist.
    Ok, finally got around to looking at my front cap lights and it was a loose connection. See attached pictures. They slammed 2 14 gauge wires into a Yellow spade connector then slid it onto a 1/8 inch wide male switch terminal, loosely I might add. I crimped the spade connector down correctly and everything is fine. Carefully remove the bezel and take note of the two mounting tabs. I do appreciate the two screws painted white and the other black on the heads so I know which screw was the top one! lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front cap switch bezel.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	26454 -- Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crimp connector to the small female switch terminal.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	26455
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M&Lcamping View Post
    ...while on and driving at night...
    Never heard (or saw) anyone switching the Cap lights on driving. Do you do that for safety reasons, or are you just showing off?

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front cap lights

Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Never heard (or saw) anyone switching the Cap lights on driving. Do you do that for safety reasons, or are you just showing off?

-Steve
    For safety Steve - If I were showing off i'd have them blink on and off while traveling
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how that makes it safer while driving. I wouldn't want the glare of those lights in my mirrors.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front cap lights

Might depend on where you take your TT and your experiences as it applies to where you typically camp, (location and crazy California drivers). Those small amber lights at the top of the trailer are standard on rigs 8 ft plus wide right but how much attention in regards to their actual purpose do you think the average driver pays attention to?

I got the idea after a few mountain trips we take each year where we had incidents with people driving much too fast or maybe in slower situations, with them on their cell phones while traveling up or down the mountain; would stray into the the inner edges of the two lane road and I would not be able to react quickly nor safely enough to get over to the right.

You can find this statement on the internet; "The first purpose of clearance lights is to alert drivers to a larger truck's presence on the road. Since they have a much wider stance than most other vehicles, it's crucial to know and give more space to riders of these trucks on roads that are narrower than usual" -- I also see clearance lights are required for a TT over 3k pounds in many states and are to be seen from up to 500 feet. I measured the 500 feet and "if" you are paying attention to the road you can see those tiny "cute" lights but with the front cap lights on it really stands out.

The result in my most recent traveling on those same mountain roads; people slow down because it's something their brain has captured and paid attention to. So whenever we travel through mountainous area, or even along windy roads we have them on.

Interestingly, our mirrors auto dim so its not an issue for us nor have I even paid attention or noticed glare; our tow vehicle is not as tall as a truck. We have the three cameras in the back of the TT, the standard center, a left and right turn camera because our stock mirrors are largely not in play and we do not want to alter them when towing.

Hope this makes more sense now.
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the glare; I see where you are coming from. Based on our tow vehicle it's not an issue but others I can see envision what you are referring too.
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK