User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=hoverpilot;286860]We use a company that you use a hotspot and have unlimited WiFi. We steam Netflix and Hulu. We pay monthly no contract and we pay through PayPal. We have had it for 2 years. It does use a AT&T signal. We switched from Verizon as the campground we spend our summers at in upstate NY had no Verizon service. You can only use 5 lines at a time so we make sure our phones and laptops are not on WiFi when we are streaming. We are super happy with it. It costs 59.95 a month. We have never noticed any throttling. The company is called FastHomeWifi.com. I watch a lot of YouTube videos as well I know you can try it free for 7 days as that is what we did. Hopefully that may help a few of you.[/QUOTE/]

Unfortunately FastHomeWiFi is no longer accepting new subscribers. Thanks for the info though!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are part time Rvers, Generally on the road 2-3 months a year. Our phones are Tmobile. Considering the following:

Netgear Aircard 797 w/ ATT Pay as you go
    Poynting 600 (or 400) Omni antenna
    Ladder mounted PVC mast sections that store in rear bumper

Thoughts, complaints, experience with the above equipment?
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a WiFiRanger EliteAC kit. All of their stuff is based on MikroTik products (the hAP ac for the indoor unit and the Metal 52 ac for the outdoor unit) with custom firmware. The indoor router has multiple gigabit Ethernet ports and 802.11AC WiFi, plus a USB port for tethering a hotspot device or phone. The Ethernet ports can be setup as LAN or WAN. The outdoor unit can be controlled from the indoor router. It can connect you to any reachable wifi network such as RV park wifi, McDonalds, etc.

The advantage to this setup is that all of our devices are connected to this network only. We installed an Ethernet switch that runs on 12VDC, connects to a LAN port on the router, and hardwired as many devices a possible such as our Roku, Apple TV, etc.

This lets us pick whatever modems we want to in order to hook up to the outside world.

We currently have two modems connected to the indoor router simultaneously on separate Ethernet WAN ports. One is an LB1141 from Netgear. It has a SIM card from T-Mobile which gets us 22G of high-speed data each month, then 3G after that. The other is an unlimited high-speed Connected Car account from AT&T for under $24/month. It started out as a Mobley, but I switched to a Netgear Nighthawk since it has an Ethernet port and is permitted under the TOS for that account. That gives us just about unlimited high-speed internet, but we may failover to T-Mobile from time-to-time. Between the two we haven't needed to get hardwired (cable or ADSL) yet at our home base site, but we have both a DOCSIS 3 cable modem and an ADSL unit for when they may be needed.

The router handles the failover automatically. It makes it nice since I'm WFH now and need high availability.

All of the hardware is mounted on the wall behind our TV in the main living area. It made it easy and central to everything.

ETA - All of the core components (internal and external routers, switch, and modems) run on 12VDC and consume little current, so this is a constant-on system. It's been through power outages (including an earthquake-induced outage) with no problems, and as long as we have either an AT&T or T-Mobile signal while on the road, it's up and reachable from our tow vehicle too.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-05-2020 at 06:33 AM.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    We have a WiFiRanger EliteAC kit. All of their stuff is based on MikroTik products (the hAP ac for the indoor unit and the Metal 52 ac for the outdoor unit) with custom firmware. The indoor router has multiple gigabit Ethernet ports and 802.11AC WiFi, plus a USB port for tethering a hotspot device or phone. The Ethernet ports can be setup as LAN or WAN. The outdoor unit can be controlled from the indoor router. It can connect you to any reachable wifi network such as RV park wifi, McDonalds, etc.

The advantage to this setup is that all of our devices are connected to this network only. We installed an Ethernet switch that runs on 12VDC, connects to a LAN port on the router, and hardwired as many devices a possible such as our Roku, Apple TV, etc.

This lets us pick whatever modems we want to in order to hook up to the outside world.

We currently have two modems connected to the indoor router simultaneously on separate Ethernet WAN ports. One is an LB1141 from Netgear. It has a SIM card from T-Mobile which gets us 22G of high-speed data each month, then 3G after that. The other is an unlimited high-speed Connected Car account from AT&T for under $24/month. It started out as a Mobley, but I switched to a Netgear Nighthawk since it has an Ethernet port and is permitted under the TOS for that account. That gives us just about unlimited high-speed internet, but we may failover to T-Mobile from time-to-time. Between the two we haven't needed to get hardwired (cable or ADSL) yet at our home base site, but we have both a DOCSIS 3 cable modem and an ADSL unit for when they may be needed.

The router handles the failover automatically. It makes it nice since I'm WFH now and need high availability.

All of the hardware is mounted on the wall behind our TV in the main living area. It made it easy and central to everything.

ETA - All of the core components (internal and external routers, switch, and modems) run on 12VDC and consume little current, so this is a constant-on system. It's been through power outages (including an earthquake-induced outage) with no problems, and as long as we have either an AT&T or T-Mobile signal while on the road, it's up and reachable from our tow vehicle too.
    RVhome
    Could you tell me more about the process of using the Mobley sim card in another router? We have had the Mobley since they came out. We use it for home internet and when traveling.
    Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    RVhome.school
    Could you tell me more about the process of using the Mobley sim card in another router?
    The same SIM card will work in the Netgear Nighthawk. Under our connected car plan, any AT&T hotspot device is allowed. They don't offer that plan any more, but so far, I haven't heard of anyone moving from a Mobley on any plan to a Nighthawk getting shut off. I originally had an OBDII port I wired up to power in our trailer to plug the Mobley in, and used the USB port on it to tether it to the USB port on the WiFi Ranger. It GENERALLY worked, but I had to reboot a couple of times to get everything to sync up correctly.

I tracked a Nighthawk down when they were hard to find and bought it at a Best Buy store. I just paid the full price for it, took it home, took the SIM out of the Mobley and put it in the Nighthawk and powered it up. It came up fine, I logged into it and changed the config (WiFi off, IP pass-through to the Ethernet port) and connected the Ethernet port on the Nighthawk to an Ethernet port on the indoor WiFi Ranger that I setup as a WAN port. The Nighthawk came right up and it only sees one device plugged into it - the WiFi ranger router.

At no time did I need to call AT&T to do any of this. No need to tell them you are changing devices.

The original reason for doing this was to reserve that USB on the router for if we have to hook up one of our phones as a third backup. The WiFi Ranger is currently configured for AT&T (Nighthawk) on a WAN port on the Wifi Ranger as primary and the LB1141 as secondary on a different WAN port on the WiFi Ranger under a hot standby setup. If AT&T fails, the router automatically rolls over to T-Mobile. We can then hook up a phone to the USB port on the WiFi Ranger as a third option. We have considered getting hardwired internet at our home base site, but AT&T has worked so well we haven't done it.

I can say that during the whole Wuhan Flu mess, we have exceeded 400GB/month on AT&T with no issues.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-06-2020 at 08:34 AM.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Mobley in 2017, when I moved it's SIM to the Netgear Nighthawk in 2019 I had to call ATT for the SIM PUK unlock codes as a firmware update v1.0.3 to the Mobley would automatically assign an unknown PIN to the SIM if the user hadn't already assigned it a PIN.
    So once I got the SIM PIN removed and moved to the Netgear it hasn't gone back in the Mobley to avoid that.

This info was buried in the very long post on Howard Forums.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17030226
    "My understanding, though I have yet to test, is that any SIM without a PIN will lock as part of the update. It's not the firmware update (process) that locks the SIM, it's the presence of an unlocked SIM in a Mobley (once updated to v1.0.3) as it boots up."

Mobley Sim to Hotspot https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Sim-to-Hotspot
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The same SIM card will work in the Netgear Nighthawk. Under our connected car plan, any AT&T hotspot device is allowed. They don't offer that plan any more, but so far, I haven't heard of anyone moving from a Mobley on any plan to a Nighthawk getting shut off. I originally had an OBDII port I wired up to power in our trailer to plug the Mobley in, and used the USB port on it to tether it to the USB port on the WiFi Ranger. It GENERALLY worked, but I had to reboot a couple of times to get everything to sync up correctly.

I tracked a Nighthawk down when they were hard to find and bought it at a Best Buy store. I just paid the full price for it, took it home, took the SIM out of the Mobley and put it in the Nighthawk and powered it up. It came up fine, I logged into it and changed the config (WiFi off, IP pass-through to the Ethernet port) and connected the Ethernet port on the Nighthawk to an Ethernet port on the indoor WiFi Ranger that I setup as a WAN port. The Nighthawk came right up and it only sees one device plugged into it - the WiFi ranger router.

At no time did I need to call AT&T to do any of this. No need to tell them you are changing devices.

The original reason for doing this was to reserve that USB on the router for if we have to hook up one of our phones as a third backup. The WiFi Ranger is currently configured for AT&T (Nighthawk) on a WAN port on the Wifi Ranger as primary and the LB1141 as secondary on a different WAN port on the WiFi Ranger under a hot standby setup. If AT&T fails, the router automatically rolls over to T-Mobile. We can then hook up a phone to the USB port on the WiFi Ranger as a third option. We have considered getting hardwired internet at our home base site, but AT&T has worked so well we haven't done it.

I can say that during the whole Wuhan Flu mess, we have exceeded 400GB/month on AT&T with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I bought Mobley in 2017, when I moved it's SIM to the Netgear Nighthawk in 2019 I had to call ATT for the SIM PUK unlock codes as a firmware update v1.0.3 to the Mobley would automatically assign an unknown PIN to the SIM if the user hadn't already assigned it a PIN.
    So once I got the SIM PIN removed and moved to the Netgear it hasn't gone back in the Mobley to avoid that.

This info was buried in the very long post on Howard Forums.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17030226
    "My understanding, though I have yet to test, is that any SIM without a PIN will lock as part of the update. It's not the firmware update (process) that locks the SIM, it's the presence of an unlocked SIM in a Mobley (once updated to v1.0.3) as it boots up."

Mobley Sim to Hotspot https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Sim-to-Hotspot
    Why
    Why should the sim card be moved to the Netgear Nighthawk?

Is it better because of the antennas? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Why
    Why should the sim card be moved to the Netgear Nighthawk?

Is it better because of the antennas? KEN
    I'ts been awhile, but I think because I'd wanted an ethernet port on the mifi.

ZTE Mobley Specifications https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/att-mobley-zte/
    AT&T Nighthawk MR1100 by Netgear (Mobile Hotspot) https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gea...ear-nighthawk/
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are running a Visible sim and a Netgear 6700 with the latest dd-wrt firmware. This setup allows us to use WIFI as WAN, to either our hot spot or campground WiFi depending on what provides better throughput. The firmware also allows for VPN when we connect to public WiFi.

So far the setup works really well, the only down side I have found is the router interface. If you’re not familiar with networking terms and navigating the typically router GUI, it might feel too challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Headin Out 2 View Post
    Just a quick follow up, we got all of the equipment installed and the service up and running. So far so good. She will bring her office equipment home tomorrow and we will test at that time. In the mean time the equipment worked as advertised. For comparison purposes we had Hughes Net...could not stream video and all youtube stuff was very sketchy and constantly buffered. Since I installed and started service I've been able to stream two laptop at the same time, I actually "binged watched" the entire first season of Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime series). Couldn't be happier at the moment....order of magnitude faster than sat service. Pricey but I think I got what I paid for.
    Update: A bit less than 30 minute setup from the time I backed her in until the 'net was up and running, that included water, sewer, electric, etc. So far we love our internet/WiFi setup, simple enough for us to set up and understand, and trouble shoot if necessary. Although our service provider, neverthrottled.com, does not do voice customer support they are responsive to email and texts. Have not been throttled down in any way, grandson playing xbox online while DW and I are either online or watching streaming video (Netflix or such). Speeds are good and we've downloaded several hundred "Gs" of data. Wonders of the world will never cease, something electronic actually worked for me !!
    Life consists of two dates separated by a dash...Make the most of the dash !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123