User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet and WiFi Options for Full Timing

When I'm at campgrounds that have no WiFi/Internet service, or traveling in remote areas with limited cell service, what's the best way to obtain Internet/WiFi to connect our 3 mobile devices, Ram 2500 built-in WiFi hotspot, and live stream YouTube Live TV through Roku? I have been researching Visible's unlimited data plan with no throttling for $40/month limited to 3 devices vs. buying the Netgear Nighthawk M1 Mobile Hotspot Router for up to 20 devices. What are you using for Internet/WiFi that you are really satsified with without spending a fortune on hardware or unlimited data plans? I'm open to all ideas.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out these folks. They are the experts!
    https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    Check out these folks. They are the experts!
    https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
    ... and use the search function on this forum - dozens (if not more) of threads on this topic.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Fan View Post
    When I'm at campgrounds that have no WiFi/Internet service, or traveling in remote areas with limited cell service, what's the best way to obtain Internet/WiFi to connect our 3 mobile devices, Ram 2500 built-in WiFi hotspot, and live stream YouTube Live TV through Roku? I have been researching Visible's unlimited data plan with no throttling for $40/month limited to 3 devices vs. buying the Netgear Nighthawk M1 Mobile Hotspot Router for up to 20 devices. What are you using for Internet/WiFi that you are really satsified with without spending a fortune on hardware or unlimited data plans? I'm open to all ideas.
    You likely know that Visible is a cell-based service riding on the Verizon network... it's owned by Verizon. You likely know that many if not most campgrounds have pretty lousy wi-fi, especially for streaming your Roku. However the way your question is written it sounds like you're looking for a "magic" solution that covers you off in all situations.

There isn't one. Satellite-based wi-fi might suffice when both local wi-fi and and cell service don't, but it's expensive and slow compared to many alternatives. You won't be streaming Roku over it. Chances are that you may end up with two or more approaches to getting internet service in your trailer.

I tried the "improve wi-fi" route with high-quality (but not terribly-expensive) gear from Ubiquiti. While it allowed me to see a nearly-incredible range of connection options from (sometimes) miles away, I almost never found wi-fi, in parks or outside them, that was (a) unsecured and therefore easy to connect to and (b) performed well. We use it occasionally in the odd park with decent wi-fi, but there aren't a lot of those.

Last year we spent most of the time using unlimited data on a Verizon MiFi LTE hotspot device that worked very well for us. This year the data wasn't unlimited (15Gb) and was more expensive, and performance was frequently poor. I tried AT&T's best offering (18Gb) on the Netgear hotspot device they sell for it and it was a lot better. But next year...???

Bottom line: there is NO magic solution. There are loads of threads here that ultimately tell you to focus on LTE rather than local wi-fi. Some of them will recommend things you may not have seen yet. Tons of reading ahead for you... any questions you have may already be answered in the other threads. Here's are some of them; search for others. It's a good idea to always search before asking... chances are your questions have been answered here, and maybe answered more thoroughly than your new question, already.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...net-when-RVing
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...wifi-solutions
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-WiFi-in-my-RV
    (this one has a wi-fi focus)
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...e-WiFi-Network

Good luck, and welcome!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We use an Acme pipe full of fun kit # 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use 2 devises.
    Att Mobley ( not available any more ) with unlimited 3G after 10G at $2.53 after taxes
    T Mobile Coolpad hotspot with 6G of 4G and unlimited 3G for $25.00.

We can tether our phones to the laptop with unlimited too. We switch to T Mobile with the military plan and are saving $50.00 a month; dropping ATT after 20 years on an old plan. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in the process of setting up a remote work office for DW. She absolutely has to have reliable web service. Her company requires a Static IP as well and furthermore states the current Sat Internet systems will not work. So, with those things in mind we will be spending a bit of coin to get her set up. So far I purchased an external set of antennas from a company called WirEng, cost was about $450.00 Second, I purchased a device from a company called MoFi which is a sim card device that functions much the same way as a personal hot spot. Cost was about $350.00. The device offers several more features that she will use in the office but essentially it's a "turbo charged" hot spot. Now in the process of finding the correct provider for grandfathered unlimited/unthrottled data, there are bunch out there, just gotta decide on the best for her. Most providers will not give a static IP without a significant cost increase and a business tax number, so, we will probably utilize the services of a VPN provider which will give a static IP and an additional layer of security. I still have to buy an antenna mast and some hardware, probably in the $200.00 range. I know, expensive, but in our case will be totally deductible for tax purposes. At least for the first year of owning it ! Keep in mind the system is not set up and will have to meet her company's IT approval !! Fingers' crossed.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, this looks like a great resource!!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Fan View Post
    Thank you, this looks like a great resource!!
    Forum hint: use "Reply With Quote" (as I have done here) and the person you are thanking will know who you're talking about - and get a notification. It helps reduce confusion on threads with a lot of entries.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

We have no sticks and brick home anymore.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a company that you use a hotspot and have unlimited WiFi. We steam Netflix and Hulu. We pay monthly no contract and we pay through PayPal. We have had it for 2 years. It does use a AT&T signal. We switched from Verizon as the campground we spend our summers at in upstate NY had no Verizon service. You can only use 5 lines at a time so we make sure our phones and laptops are not on WiFi when we are streaming. We are super happy with it. It costs 59.95 a month. We have never noticed any throttling. The company is called FastHomeWifi.com. I watch a lot of YouTube videos as well I know you can try it free for 7 days as that is what we did. Hopefully that may help a few of you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast