Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dimmer wiring question

I want to install dimmers on my ceiling lights. I have watch many videos and on all of them there are only 2 wires on the back of switch. Mine has 3 WHITE RED BROWN. How do I hook up the dimmer. I bought the same one as the video.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Switch wiring.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	25356
    2020 2670MK
    2019 F250 6.2 Gasser 4X4 3.73
    Blue Ox towing hitch
    New to everything here

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White and red are crimped together on the male connector. the brown (or black) gets crimped by itself. If the dimmer doesn't work when connected (try it before putting the panel back together) just swap the leads and try again.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riceball1 View Post
    I want to install dimmers on my ceiling lights. I have watch many videos and on all of them there are only 2 wires on the back of switch. Mine has 3 WHITE RED BROWN. How do I hook up the dimmer. I bought the same one as the video.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Switch wiring.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	25356
    Is that a lighted switch? If so, then the 3 wires are +12, Ground and a connection to the lights. You can use a voltmeter to figure out which is which.

Are you planning on replacing the switch with a dimmer or adding the dimmer between the switch and the light (which is what I did)?

And which dimmer did you buy and which video did you watch?
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to leave the switch. I think all I need to do is find the hot wire after switch is turned on (the wire going to light after switch) and install dimmer inline to dim light. Is that correct??
    2020 2670MK
    Blue Ox towing hitch
    New to everything here

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did this last weekend. Works great.

Top (ground gets capped off)
    Middle goers to red & white together
    Bottom goes to black (on the dimmer)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A002C1F3-14F1-4566-9589-1CA44B72AF7E.jpg  

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be to remove lighted switch and put in dimmer. I was hoping to leave lighted switch in place and add dimmer
    2020 2670MK
    Blue Ox towing hitch
    New to everything here

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping to leave lighted switch in place and add dimmer
    See reply #47 in this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...tions!!!/page5

I had previously installed the lighted rocker switches so I added the dimmers and kept the rockers.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be to remove lighted switch and put in dimmer. I was hoping to leave lighted switch in place and add dimmer
    Gotcha - last night I was replying from my iPad and missed that part. Regardless, you can still wire in using the same bottom two legs to the same wires on a rotary switch. Unfortunately the only question I can't answer is which leg actually goes to the light, hopefully that should be pretty easy to sort out.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put dimmer inline on brown wire leaving the lighted switch in place. Everything works great with the exception of when lights are full on and water pump kicks in the lights flicker for a second. It is still a great mod as lights are way to bright.
    2020 2670MK
    Blue Ox towing hitch
    New to everything here

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put dimmer inline on brown wire leaving the lighted switch in place. Everything works great with the exception of when lights are full on and water pump kicks in the lights flicker for a second. It is still a great mod as lights are way to bright.
    I would also say when running on battery(no shore power) the light are much more troublesome. They flicker much more with water pump and when furnace runs. I would also think the air conditioner would also be a problem. Too cold here to try it.
    2020 2670MK
    Blue Ox towing hitch
    New to everything here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast