Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back Up Camera Options

Got my order for a Tadibrothers plug and play for the Furrion mount. I have a GD 2670MK. It was 3 weeks from ordering, but I understand that part.

It was advertised as a Plug & Play and I paid $288 compared to around $400 for the Furrion version. So that's good. Here are some other observations:

The adapter bracket leaves a small gap for water intrusion at the top where they put a square metal tab. Maybe make it rounded like the original bracket.

There is no way the original 4 small screws will hold the camera to the plastic mount. Since they did not provide any replacements, I am assuming the intent was to re-use these.

This is even more important because you cannot use the small bracket given in the kit. The antenna will not clear the small bracket. I'm assuming that is why they included the remote antenna with the cable. Even with that the cable will be kinked.

So you have to use the large camera bracket that extends the distance from the mount and will increase forces going down the road. Since the rear of a trailer bounces quite a bit, this camera will probably come off pretty quickly.

There is no way that all the wiring, adapter pigtail, pairing switch, etc, will fit behind the bracket.

I received no instructions. Lots of the videos on the TB site, but many of the displays are different models.

I got it to pair and it seems to work OK in the driveway... I'll update when I drive down the road.

I am going to buy longer screws for the bracket.

I will directly splice the camera power to my trailer (no pigtail) so hopefully I can fit everything behind the bracket.

Gotta buy a USB adapter for the display as my Ram only has one cigarette style plug.

Hopefully, I don't regret saving the $150!!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if it makes you feel any better.. I have the Furrion, 7in version (top of the line). I'm not thrilled with it. A few things that bug me:

1) There's no way to display all the cameras at once (well, there is, but only for like 30 seconds, then it switches back to one camera view). That's real annoying, I want to see all 3 cameras so I can watch for cars on either side of me and, at a glace, see if I'm clear right/left and rear. Generally now I leave it on the right camera (that's the side where I have the worst visibility generally), but it would be real nice to just have all 3 on the screen all the time.

2) The resolution is poor. Yes, I can see cars, and that's nice. But if my wife is behind the rig, it's hard to make out hand signals. It's just not a very clear picture compared to most cameras today, I have a 30 dollar camera in the RV (to watch inside while traveling) that's dramatically better than my 700 dollar Furrion system. That's annoying/disappointing.

3) The software on the display unit was written in like 1995. It's ancient and it shows. Things don't happen quickly and it's just not a great experience to, for example, switch cameras (which I have to do often because of number 1). Would be real nice to have hard buttons for "right/left/rear" so I can switch fast when making a lane change.

4) It's not smart enough to switch cameras based on blinkers. When I put on my right blinker, for example, why not switch to (or highlight) the right camera? This isn't rocket science and should be doable without a PhD in coding.

I like mine, it's good, don't get me wrong. But it's not great, and, for the price they ask for it, as the most expensive solution (that I know of) on the market, it should be great. I can get a no-name system for 150 bucks that's 1080P and lets you display 4 cameras at once on a 10in screen, come on Furrion, you should be able to do at least that well for 3-4X the cost!