User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter and converter

Just started a inverter install. I think I have a good plan for what i'm doing and could share end results if all goes well. Installing a Magnum 2012 2k inverter. Taking 4 circuits out of the main service panel, AC outlets, GFCI outlets, Microwave and Fireplace. Fireplace circuit because it also controls my AC outlet to the TV/Blue Ray surround sound unit. Also kind of cool to be able to turn on fireplace light effects while boondocking, not heat though!. This sub panel of four 15 amp breakers will be in the basement of the 5th wheel. We have a 32 ft Reflection 303 RLS. Question is what to do with the converter? The magnum inverter will become the new charger for the batteries. I guess the only thing I need to do with the converter is disconnect the battery leads so it's not hooked into the battery bank. Anyone have additional advice for that issue?

Al

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left my converter in place, turned off the circuit breaker for it and disconnected it from the batteries. I figure if my inverter/converter goes bad it is pretty simple to reconnect the old converter.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I left my converter in place, turned off the circuit breaker for it and disconnected it from the batteries. I figure if my inverter/converter goes bad it is pretty simple to reconnect the old converter.
    We did the same.
    Always good to have a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

We did the same thing , flipped the ckt breaker off and pulled the two fuses on the backside of the converter. Tossed the fusses in the junk drawer and never looked back. We have lithium batteries so it probably needs to be re-programmed before it will work again if we needed it.
    Loren and Crystal & Bear and Bailey (White Labs)
    2019 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins w/Asian, 4x4, CC and LB
    2019 Solitude 310GK AND 2013 Lance 850 CabOver

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to hear how your install went. I have a 337RLS and just bought the same inverter, Magnum 2012, getting ready to tackle the install. Where did you locate the inverter? Could you share some advise? how did you handle the stock converter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With a twist

I have a 303RLS and did something similar with a twist. See signature below for model and year. I installed a Xantrex Freedom HFS 2055 ( 2,000 watt inverter and 55 amp charger) in the front storage compartment right next to the batteries to minimize line voltage losses. I just pulled the original converter wires from the breaker and connected in the inverter input wires to the same breaker. That way the original converter is still in place in case I need it or upgrade to a different RV and want to take the inverter/charger with me.

There is one point of caution though, if you plan to plug the shore power into the inverter you would need to turn off the inverter/charger breaker to stop the inverter from trying to charge the batteries while running from batteries!

It works for me as I rarely use the charger with 400 watts of solar so the breaker is mostly off.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magnum 2k watt inverter project
    I posted a few more pictures on the web. Here is the link: http://www.deerislandbrewery.com/rvinverter.html I pulled the fuses out of the back of the stock converter, thus putting it out of commission but ready to go again if needed. The Magnum 2012 does it all. Inverter, Battery charger, converter and auto switches when connected to AC shore power. The remote control switch is really a must have and absolutely cool for monitoring, turning the inverter on and off when needed, customizing setting, battery type etc. As you can see in my pictures, I installed this unit upside down from the floor joists in the basement. You can just as easily mount it on the floor. One note of caution is to be aware of your total weight that will ultimately be on your rear axle. With my inverter close to the hitch and three AGMs in the front compartment, it is 250 lbs alone. Not to mention all the other junk i carry in the front end. I am right at max axle weight on the rear of the truck. 3500 Dodge quad 5.7 Long Bed. If I had a dually, I would be comfortably under limit. just something to think about. Wish I had three Battle born Lithium's instead It would be 120 lbs vs 210 lbs.