User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rewiring residential refrigerator inverter to power more outlets in the trailer

Hey yall,

Anyone with the residential refrigerator and factory inverter installed, just a heads up that with minimal rewiring you can power a decent amount of the outlets in your trailer off of that inverter (1000w continuous, 2000w for a short period).

The refrigerator/inverter are off of the same branch circuit (breaker) as the rest of the outlets with the inverter being inline for the power to the fridge. The inverter passes through power to the fridge when AC (grid) power is available and switches to inverting from batteries when no AC is present (assuming you have it turned on of course). The line for the fridge is wired in parallel with the other outlets. So it goes like this:

Breaker > Hidden Outlet > Inverter >Fridge
    Breaker > Other outlets around the trailer

All I did for this small change was move some wiring around and splice things together as needed to achieve:

Breaker > Hidden Outlet > Inverter > (Refrigerator + Other outlets)

I can work up a diagram if needed later but wanted to share with you all that this is doable and not too tricky. Can add a lot of convenience in the trailer when boondocking without running the generator (in my case I have upgraded battery bank and 1200w of solar).

In my 3740BH-R I can power the 2 outlets on the living room slide (by the table and the outlet the theater seats are plugged into), the lower outlet in my bunk room, the mini fridge in my outdoor kitchen, the outlet by the stove in the kitchen, and the TV and cabinet above the TV. Good enough to have a lot of the creature comforts as needed.

Added a diagram to help explain what I did. In the case of my 3740BH-R, all of the outlets on Breaker "1" are now powered by the inverter.

Here is a diagram I worked up showing the change I made
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Res Fridge Inverter.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	25418

Here is the mapping for outlets to breakers in my 3740BH-R as a reference
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Circuit Mappings.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	25419
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @cookinwitdiesel I was getting ready to post a question about how to power a Residential refrigerator on my rig when traveling when I just found your post. I just bought a 3740BH-R and apparently it came with the WF-5110R but I don't even know how it's wired up. My rig has only 1 lead acid battery with a connection ready to add a 2nd. I'm wondering if I added 2 Bettleborn LIO batteries if I would be able to run the refrigerator for a few hours while traveling?

It looks like you have a pretty amazing solar setup! I'm also thinking about the Reece 20k GooseBox. Do you think it makes a big enough difference over the standard Lippert? Did you have to get a spacer kit to install the GooseBox?

Best,
    Craig

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the junction box that the inverter power goes to? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    What is the junction box that the inverter power goes to? KEN
    Whatever you want it to be. Just need a junction box and some wire nuts

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfsideCA View Post
    @cookinwitdiesel I was getting ready to post a question about how to power a Residential refrigerator on my rig when traveling when I just found your post. I just bought a 3740BH-R and apparently it came with the WF-5110R but I don't even know how it's wired up. My rig has only 1 lead acid battery with a connection ready to add a 2nd. I'm wondering if I added 2 Bettleborn LIO batteries if I would be able to run the refrigerator for a few hours while traveling?

It looks like you have a pretty amazing solar setup! I'm also thinking about the Reece 20k GooseBox. Do you think it makes a big enough difference over the standard Lippert? Did you have to get a spacer kit to install the GooseBox?

Best,
    Craig
    2 LiFEPO4 batteries will do the job well. You may want to consider upgrading the wfco converter to something designed for lithium. Progressive Dynamics has a few good options and a very good reputation.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Whatever you want it to be. Just need a junction box and some wire nuts

WOW
    That's all. That's too easy. I use need to figure out what circuit too connect. The love seat and the TV area would be nice.

I have a 400 AH battery bank to help keep the powered up. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Cookinwitdiesel, I have some additional questions about how to add power to outlets off my existing Momentum 397th. Looks like similar set up as in your example. Can I contact you directly? David

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Daub View Post
    Hey Cookinwitdiesel, I have some additional questions about how to add power to outlets off my existing Momentum 397th. Looks like similar set up as in your example. Can I contact you directly? David
    Feel free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is their a good number or email for you? I am not an electrician or DIY guy when it comes to electronics? Was hoping you might have some suggestions where to start with finding a resource?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Daub View Post
    Is their a good number or email for you? I am not an electrician or DIY guy when it comes to electronics? Was hoping you might have some suggestions where to start with finding a resource?
    The only real "Magic" is knowing what wires to connect where and applying wire nuts. It is very basic AC wiring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast