Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ready to join the RV club...

Greetings!

My name is Chris. My wife and I will (hopefully) be taking delivery of our new Grand Design travel trailer next week. We are no strangers to tent/car camping, but this will be an entirely new experience that we are looking forward to. I am in the process of pre-purchasing many of the little items that we need (sewer hose, etc.) online so that these items will trickle in as we work to get up to speed on travel trailer operations. We’re super exited that this long term dream is finally becoming a reality, though the planetary COVID-19 disruption is definitely keeping our excitement in check. I hope everyone is safe and healthy out there!

While I am here, I do have a newbie question. I have a Champion generator which has both a 30A “RV” receptacle (labelled as such) and a 30A twist-lock receptacle. The 30A twist-lock receptacle is protected with a 25A push to reset breaker. As I understand looking over the generator manual, the RV receptacle is not tied into a circuit breaker. I purchased a standard Camco 50’ extension cord to hook into the trailer as well as the RV receptacle on the generator. Now I am second guessing myself. Why wouldn’t I want to use the twist-lock receptacle that has a breaker in stead of the RV outlet? Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 12.41.00 PM.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	25420

I figure I can get an adapter for $15 to convert between the two. But if I should be using the twist-lock by default, I think I’ll look for an extension cable that has the appropriate connectors.

Best regards,
    Chris

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if that's just poor wording in the manual. I wouldn't think they would provide a non protected outlet. Can look behind the panel to see if the two outlets are tied together to the fuze? Or could you use an Ohm meter and see if the outlets are connected (with the generator off of course).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 30 amp twist lock is a 240 volt line on my generator. But then again, my generator doesn't have a RV receptacle. I would check it first before using it for the rig. I bought an adapter for the twist lock to run the rig. The adapter plug knocks it back to 110 volt.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ramcneal,

Thank you for the advise. After checking with a multi-meter I see there is continuity between the two outlets so I think you're right. So it just boils down to which one you choose to use. Makes sense now.

On a completely unrelated note, I am being asked by my employer to work remotely due to COVID-19 starting tomorrow. My wife and I are already joking about taking the laptop and working from the dinette in the driveway once we bring our trailer home. Honest, that sounds like a pretty good idea!

Best,
    otg-family

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otg-family View Post
    On a completely unrelated note, I am being asked by my employer to work remotely due to COVID-19 starting tomorrow. My wife and I are already joking about taking the laptop and working from the dinette in the driveway once we bring our trailer home. Honest, that sounds like a pretty good idea!
    That's not a bad idea really. We did a shake down cruise with our trailer 1.5 miles from our house for the weekend. Gives you a good chance to really open every drawer, turn on every light, check out each system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased our 2017 2670 MK Imagine in January. We just took it for a maiden voyage in the driveway for a couple of days. Echo ramcneal to check everything. I had already made a arrive/depart checklist and have added to it. I pulled it to the dump station and also weighed it with all the stuff we put in. There are several YouTube videos on how to weigh. I am pulling with an F150 so it reassured me of my distribution.