User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow rating on back receiver hitch

Anyone know the maximum load you can put/pull with the back mounted receiver hitch on the Reflection 337? Is it strong enough to tow a vehicle, and if so, what is the max? Thanks and Merry Christmas, Campers!!!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fifth wheel trailer frames are inherently weak--compared to auto/truck frames. In many states, the truck police would throw you under the jail for towing behind a fifth wheel.

There's no way you can tow anything unless the frame's been re-engineered and rebuilt. If you need to tow a vehicle, you should be using a Class A motor home with a proper hitch system.

The stock frame with a receiver hitch bolted on is perfectly good for a 3 bicycle rack, however.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the sticker on the back of a Reflection 337 the weight limit is 300lbs and the sticker also says that you should never tow any type of vehicle with this hitch. Saw this on the back of a 337 at Holiday World of Houston today. There is no pigtail for electrical hookup so apparently it is only for bike rack or cargo carrier.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just adding copy of email I received from Grand Design rep in regard to my earlier post.

Thanks for your inquiry on the Reflection brand. My name is Tony Lizzi and I am the Reflection manufacture's representative for the central portion of the U.S. I am more than happy to help any questions that you may have.

The 2” receiver hitch used on the Reflection product is rated for 300lbs. of cargo capacity. It is designed to accommodate bike/luggage racks, but not for towing.

Solid Surface Sink Covers were offered for a limited time this fall. I would recommend that you check with your local dealer to see if the particular unit they have in stock came with the sink covers. If not, they can be ordered through parts and usually run somewhere around $150. For those units coming off-line after the Solid Surface Sink Covers were provided, they will now come with a single piece plastic sink cover free of charge. Again, please check with your local dealer for more information on the particular unit they have in stock.

Have you had a chance to see the Reflection product in person? Have you been able to visit your local Grand Design RV dealer Holiday World of Houston in Katy, TX?

Please let me know how we can help assist in your RV purchase. Thanks again for your interest in Reflection and Grand Design RV!

Tony Lizzi
    Grand Design - Reflection
    Office: 574-825-8000 Ext. 2016
    Cell: 574-850-9581
    Fax: 574-825-9700
    [email protected]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2017 Reflection 315rlts with a 300lb hitch on the rear. My motorcycle and carrier total 307lbs. Just wanted your feedback on if you consider this safe.
    Motorcycle Yamaha WR450f wet weight is 271lbs and my rack weighs 36.5lbs
    Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't exceed 300 lbs. Lots of bad juju of for whatever reason that hitch failed and spewed all kinds of stuff at following traffic, and it was found that you exceeded the weight limitation.

I have a cargo carrier that I use the hitch with, and I always keep it under 300 lbs. I use it mostly to balance out tongue weight when needed.