User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing I forgot to mention, if you do the hardwire install of the 50amp unit, you will never have to worry about it not being enough if you plug into a 50 amp, 30 amp or even the 120 outlet. It protects against all shore power coming in.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Electrical management Protection system by Progressive protects over or under voltage. I do not know about other brands. I use the portable 50amp electrical management system by progressive. They do have just a surge protection system and it is cheaper than the electrical management system. Hootie.

thompsjk
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Probably right that you would have difficulty running two A/C units on 30 amps.
    A 50 amp connection actually provides more than 3 times the power available on a 30 amp connection.
    This is because 30 amps is at 120 volts. 50 amps is at 240 volts = 100 amps at 120 volts.
    This also explains why the 50 amp surge protector is twice the price of the 30 amp version.

Rob

That's not exactly how it works. On a 50 amp service you have two hots with 120 volt potential between each and the neutral. 240 potential between the two hots. But all loads are 120 volt so all loads on both hots need to return on the single neutral that is a 6 AWG that is rated at 50 amps. So the max is 50 amps at 120 volts. So it is only 20 amps more than a 30 amp. I have seen where large fifth wheels with three AC's that don't have a power management system melt the insulation on the neutral. When you spec out a Momentum with a third AC they requirer the power management system. Most manufacters put all three AC's on one hot leg and they tell you it will trip the breaker if you try to run all three. I have seen on some forums that people have figured out that they can move the breaker on one of their AC's and run all three but they are setting their selfs up to overload their neutral.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One neutral can be the return path for both halves of of the divided 240 V because they are exactly out of phase. What you describe, could only happen if both power post 50 amp breakers were wired to the same side of the 240 V source. This could send up to 100 amps in the same phase back through the neutral wire without popping either the RV or the post breakers. I wonder if the surge protectors are smart enough to detect this fault ?
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought surge protectors were a big expense. A few years ago we lost our neutral leg on a 50 amp circuit. Cost me a control panel in my Refridge and furnace and a new microwave. Now I never leave home without one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I'm torn between a hard wired unit, like yours, or a portable unit like the 30 amp one I have. PPL's has the portable unit on sale until 1/2 for $279. That's a great deal. I do worry about it being stolen but I have had my 30 amp portable unit for years and it's never been stolen. I think for $300 though it is a different deal and very tempting to a thief. Decisions, decisions. I think if I wait to save up some money and go for the hard wired unit. As I said, in the mean time I can just connect to the 30 amp outlet on the post and use my 30 amp surge protector.

I've never had a 50 amp RV so correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing I loose by connecting to 50 amp is running both A/C units at the same time?
    Just saw this price on Camping World http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...otection/56420 and thought I should share with you as you were looking at the portable unit for the same price.

I do Recommend NOT cutting your existing 50-amp cord if possible. I disconnect the 4 wires from my RV elec panel, and connected the loose ends of these wires to the input side of the surge protector. Purchased a 3 ft. section of #6 wire from my local big box store to connect the output side of the surge protector to my RV electrical box. This allows me to remove the surge protector if I trade 5th wheels, and reconnect my original wiring. Love being able to monitor current draw from each leg of my 50A service from inside the 5th wheel with the provided remote monitor.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about this, Poppy? It is similar to the 30 amp that I've used for 2 years.
    http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...v+50+amp+surge
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD350M, did you find the wire Grand Design installed to be the hardest wire you ever worked with? It is like trying to bend solid steel!
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lot's of great input here. I would love the hard wired unit for ease of use and security. I guess when I get the rig next week I will take a look at how difficult the install would be and make my decision. As I've said, in the meantime I will run the 30 amp protector on a 30 amp outlet.

Love this place already.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Specularius View Post
    GD350M, did you find the wire Grand Design installed to be the hardest wire you ever worked with? It is like trying to bend solid steel!
    I do find that AWG#6 wire is hard to work with all together. But it was a lot easier putting this unit in my Monentum then in my travel trailer. I was able to install mine behind the false wall in the storage compartment, before the transfer switch. They was a ton more room to work in there then in the TT, which was behind the breaker panel, in this small compartment that I couldn't even put the PI protector in the hole with the lid on. Had to do it after I put it in the hole. Lol. That was then, and I love having a 5th wheel. So much easier to work with.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast