User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everyone says. A surge protector may be expensive, but it's cheaper than any repair. I also keep it chained to a post when in service.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the Progressive 30 amp on my travel trailer for years. I experienced low voltage conditions often enough that made the investment worth the money. During an severe thunderstorm two years ago, the campground took a direct hit and several coaches got toasted. My Progressive saved my coach once again making it all worth the money.

I just purchased the portable 50 amp from Camping World for my new Solitude for the 2015 season. I won't leave home without one.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaflick View Post
    I have both the portable 30 amp protector left over from my last unit and a portable 50 amp that I purchased recently. I use the 30 with an adapter at state parks with only 30 amp service. For me it is just peace of mind.
    Same here. 30 amp protector from my old travel trailer to use at parks that only have 30 amp hookups and bought the Progressive Ind. portable 50 amp electrical management system protector for 50 amp sites. I personally would not be without one. If you can get the Progressive portable 50 amp for $279 that's a great deal. I like the lifetime warranty on the Progressive.

We live wherever you find us, we are full-time travelers.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cate & Rob is quite right. A 'brown-out' or low voltage condition is much more likely and can be just as damaging as a spike or surge. The 50 amp device that I just got from Progressive Industries will switch off the power to my Solitude should voltage drop too low.
    I cringed at the cost of the unit, as well, but there is too much expensive equipment in this 5th wheel to loose because of a poorly maintained RV park.
    David, Judy, and Roscoe
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2013 Ram 3500 6.7l Cummins LB 4WD SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lucky View Post
    Same here. 30 amp protector from my old travel trailer to use at parks that only have 30 amp hookups and bought the Progressive Ind. portable 50 amp electrical management system protector for 50 amp sites. I personally would not be without one. If you can get the Progressive portable 50 amp for $279 that's a great deal. I like the lifetime warranty on the Progressive.
    I have the 50AMP portable EMS and chain it to the power pole. Per the Progressive website, you can use the 50AMP on 30AMP and still get the protection. I don't see the need to carry two devices when one will do the work of both. Sell your old one to make the cost of the 50AMP less. Just my 2Cents. I also have my trailer currently connected to my house with a 20AMP plug and the EMS is in the connection. Full protection.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

NHSeasonal
    Guess my earlier post was lost or didn't make it... I had read / heard that GD does not recommend hard-wiring a surge protector to their units?? I would have thought hard wire would be better and encouraged.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got my 50amp portable from camping world for about $145,seem like a good buy

Ditkitty
    Quote Originally Posted by NHSeasonal View Post
    Guess my earlier post was lost or didn't make it... I had read / heard that GD does not recommend hard-wiring a surge protector to their units?? I would have thought hard wire would be better and encouraged.
    We thought about getting one installed in our old Toy Hauler, but Camping World discouraged it. They said if a hard wired one gets blown, you lose your rig (has to be taken back for repairs). with a portable one, you just go get another one.....

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That makes a lot of sense. And if the portable one goes out or disappears (I always chain mine up), you can always just plug in directly until you can replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditkitty View Post
    We thought about getting one installed in our old Toy Hauler, but Camping World discouraged it. They said if a hard wired one gets blown, you lose your rig (has to be taken back for repairs). with a portable one, you just go get another one.....

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else to think about.

I had one of the 50 amp., with a remote readout units installed on my 305RE. The remote readout was installed underneath the counter across from the entry door. Every time I open the door, I can check the readout to see how each leg of the 120 service is doing and how much draw each one is one has. It's a great way to check individual appliances and what their amperage requirement is.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Presently at Fontainebleau State Park
    Mandeville, Louisiana

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast