Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tie down points

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tie down points

Ok, whoever designed the Momentum must think it just for hauling 2 toys, because its not set up for 1. Trying to figure a good way to tie downmy Harley, centered in the garage.Aint no way....only 3 tie down rings side to side. And the two outers are too far apart to hold the motorcycle from moving. So the front wheel will be on the center one. Are the stock ones down through the floor and bolted? So i gotta drop the belly and drill and add more in a right place...not to mention rout out the floor to get them flush...what the heck. Ideas welcomed, but im gonna have to mod the trailer in some way or another

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigmo1; 03-21-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Would something like this work https://www.uscargocontrol.com/shop/...SAAEgL2-fD_BwE

I googled tie down rails.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could try something from Bolt It On, I just ordered the dirt bike version for 4 dirt bikes. Reviews and videos looked good, it hasn't been delivered yet so I cant say for sure. No modification of the current tie downs are necessary and it's easily removable which I like. I went with the 88" cross bar so i can use it in a car hauler type trailer later on if i want. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200322-212132_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	25470

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the recommendation for the Bolt It On system. I have one in my 381M and have used it for various combinations of ATVs, Dirt Bikes, and e-Bikes. It is an extremely solid unit that is easy to install/remove and very flexible.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the ideas....i have looked at the e-tracks and other styles similar...but the idea is to not have to modify the rv much. Dont like the idea of drilling into a new, fairly expensive toy hauler. I have actually talked to the owner of that Bolt it On outfit. Looks like a good rig. I want to get it close to the front wall and they have a half mount that will allow that. So BobKilmer, with the 88" bar it is stable? I want to put a Harley in the center of the garage...so the outer two ties downs would be used. My 351M has the same garage width just shorter

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo1 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas....i have looked at the e-tracks and other styles similar...but the idea is to not have to modify the rv much. Dont like the idea of drilling into a new, fairly expensive toy hauler. I have actually talked to the owner of that Bolt it On outfit. Looks like a good rig. I want to get it close to the front wall and they have a half mount that will allow that. So BobKilmer, with the 88" bar it is stable? I want to put a Harley in the center of the garage...so the outer two ties downs would be used. My 351M has the same garage width just shorter

The bar is rock solid! Before I ordered mine I talked to Scott Corgiat about the stability because I was concerned as well. Just to be extra safe I asked for a third tie down hook so I could attach the bar to all three of the existing cargo hooks. I attached a picture of my installation.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bolt it On Rack.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	25533
    I went with the 95" bar and then moved the leg supports in slightly, so I have three tie down points that pull the bar snug down to the floor over the two leg supports. With the movable tie down points you will be able to place the tie down points and leg supports wherever you like. One item to note is if you use the third hook like I did the hook is in the exact center of the bar, so your bike would have to be offset 5" one way or the other to the next mounting point.

I had to do an emergency swerve maneuver on my first trip using this rack and while many other items were scattered across the RV my bikes and ATV never moved an inch. I couldn't be more pleased with the stability and flexibility of this unit. Having the additional tie down points and wheel chocks let me carry multiple configurations of ATVs, dirt bikes, and e-bikes. Also, if I take the toys out and want a clean floor, the entire rack can be moved to the side wall in a few minutes. I just undo the three J-hooks by hand and turn the rack sideways and it fits under the Happi Jack when it is down. The leg supports distribute the weight well on the floor so there is no marks or holes anywhere when it is removed. This unit is not cheap but I feel it is worth every penny.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was the one with the 88" bar. It finally arrived and although I havent tied down the dirt bikes yet, I installed the system in the RV. Before I even got done tightening down both j hooks I couldn't believe how solid it was and I was unable to move it. After it was tightened down I tried shaking it and the whole RV shook, but the Bolt It On system didnt budge. I'm looking forward to putting it through a real test with the bikes and the RV on the road.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I was the one with the 88" bar. It finally arrived and although I havent tied down the dirt bikes yet, I installed the system in the RV. Before I even got done tightening down both j hooks I couldn't believe how solid it was and I was unable to move it. After it was tightened down I tried shaking it and the whole RV shook, but the Bolt It On system didnt budge. I'm looking forward to putting it through a real test with the bikes and the RV on the road.

Good to hear. What is your toy hauler, how are your tie downs arranged, width wise...
    Im thinkin get 3 of the triangle blocks, one extra j-bolt and try to get the motorcycle as close to centered as i can. Add the extra triangle near the center for extra support along with an extra j-bolt right next to it. That should hold it down pretty solid. My Harley is in the 800# range

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear. What is your toy hauler, how are your tie downs arranged, width wise...
    Im thinkin get 3 of the triangle blocks, one extra j-bolt and try to get the motorcycle as close to centered as i can. Add the extra triangle near the center for extra support along with an extra j-bolt right next to it. That should hold it down pretty solid. My Harley is in the 800# range

I have a 399TH, I attached some pictures, hopefully it answers your questions. I still need to rearrange the bikes to figure out the best loading configuration. I'm not sure a 3rd triangle is needed, it really is solid. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200326_185813.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	25536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200326_185726.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	25537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200326_185650.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	25538

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I have a 399TH, I attached some pictures, hopefully it answers your questions. I still need to rearrange the bikes to figure out the best loading configuration. I'm not sure a 3rd triangle is needed, it really is solid. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200326_185813.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	25536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200326_185726.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	25537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200326_185650.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	25538

I agree you most likely do not need the third triangle. The rack is very solid and as FT4NOW said, if you try to shake the rack the whole RV moves instead of the rack itself. I had my ATV and dirt bike attached and together they weigh about 900 pounds. The rack was rock solid with them both attached. If you get the two supports you can always add a third one if you feel you need it. It is really easy to move, add, or remove items from the cross bar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast