User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installed Battle Born Batteries and Solar

I sold my 4 6V CG2 batteries and bought 2 Battle Born 100Ah 12 batteries to replace them. The golf cart batteries weighed 280 lbs; the BB's weigh in at 60 lbs - 200 lbs less tongue weight to deal with. I also installed a Renogy 400 watt solar kit with an MPPT controller.
    I store my trailer at home and leave it plugged in year round. It can easily get into the upper teens and low 20's at night, so I took some precautions to make sure the batteries would charge. First I insulated the area with 1-1/2" foam insulation and hardboard. Then I installed a 400 watt inverter and mini 200 watt ceramic heater with a temperature control that will come on at 28 degrees and turn off at 32 degrees.
    I also have a Progressive Dynamics PD4655 Converter with an Li option for those rare Nevada days when there is no sun and I may need to run my generator. I'm looking forward to trying it out when the weather gets better (and the camping closures are lifted).
    By the way, a shout out to Battle Born Batteries, which are made about 15 minutes from my home. Their customer service is outstanding, and if you are fortunate enough to live close enough to pick them up in person, they do offer a decent discount for not having to ship them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Batteries.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	25451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Batteries close.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	25452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels1.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	25453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Controller.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	25454

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a nice clean install!
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider a little more Dicor on the roof mounts. You will like that set up.

Good job.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Installed Battle Born Batteries and Solar

What gauge are your battery cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-22-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to have them....but I'd need to get a loan to afford them. Hoping they will come down in price someday.
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 3350 RL-R
    2019 Ford F-350 Lariat, 6.7 diesel, SRW/SB, Crew Cab
    B&H Companion Slider for Ford Puck System
    Air Lift Air Bags 5000 Ultimate Plus with Air Lift Wireless One onboard compressor

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironfox View Post
    I'd love to have them....but I'd need to get a loan to afford them. Hoping they will come down in price someday.
    You’ll pay more not having lithium, in the long run. (If you dry camp a lot)
    Spend the money up front for lithium which will last a minimum of ten years but closer to twenty in real world scenarios.
    Or spend the same amount little by little on fuel for a generator, fuel for the truck to go get fuel for the generator, and replacing the lead acid batteries several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nadkaw1957 View Post
    I sold my 4 6V CG2 batteries and bought 2 Battle Born 100Ah 12 batteries to replace them. The golf cart batteries weighed 280 lbs; the BB's weigh in at 60 lbs - 200 lbs less tongue weight to deal with. I also installed a Renogy 400 watt solar kit with an MPPT controller.
    I store my trailer at home and leave it plugged in year round. It can easily get into the upper teens and low 20's at night, so I took some precautions to make sure the batteries would charge. First I insulated the area with 1-1/2" foam insulation and hardboard. Then I installed a 400 watt inverter and mini 200 watt ceramic heater with a temperature control that will come on at 28 degrees and turn off at 32 degrees.
    I also have a Progressive Dynamics PD4655 Converter with an Li option for those rare Nevada days when there is no sun and I may need to run my generator. I'm looking forward to trying it out when the weather gets better (and the camping closures are lifted).
    By the way, a shout out to Battle Born Batteries, which are made about 15 minutes from my home. Their customer service is outstanding, and if you are fortunate enough to live close enough to pick them up in person, they do offer a decent discount for not having to ship them.

I just pulled the trigger on a Battle Born (starting with 1) and the requisite charger. I was just thinking about where to put them securely as I don't want or need them on the tongue, and in the passthrough seems like a waste. However, right under the bed is a perfect as it's easy to run the cable without re-wiring and easy to access. Agree on the customer service, they are extremely helpful.

So thanks for the great idea!
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azink007 View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on a Battle Born (starting with 1) and the requisite charger. I was just thinking about where to put them securely as I don't want or need them on the tongue, and in the passthrough seems like a waste. However, right under the bed is a perfect as it's easy to run the cable without re-wiring and easy to access. Agree on the customer service, they are extremely helpful.

So thanks for the great idea!
    So where did you end up installing the BattleBorn? I moved mine to the storage bay, tucked into the corner behind the Universal Docking Station, and it's been working great for me. Lot's of room to add a second BB battery, which I'm hoping to do this winter.
    Last edited by tonygoncalves; 08-21-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonygoncalves View Post
    So where did you end up installing the BattleBorn? I moved mine to the storage by, tucked into the corner behind the Universal Docking Station, and it's been working great for me. Lot's of room to add a second BB battery, which I'm hoping to do this winter.
    I didn't want to eat up space in the passthrough and risk banging things so I ended up putting it under the bed, with cables poking through the floor to the belly. Since this photo I've also added a Victron 100/30 MPPT and moved the Renogy panels to the roof, so there's another set of cables going to the passthrough. No issues so far and very happy with the setup, even for long periods of dry camping!

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	28926
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azink007 View Post
    I didn't want to eat up space in the passthrough and risk banging things so I ended up putting it under the bed, with cables poking through the floor to the belly. Since this photo I've also added a Victron 100/30 MPPT and moved the Renogy panels to the roof, so there's another set of cables going to the passthrough. No issues so far and very happy with the setup, even for long periods of dry camping!

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	28926
    Maybe it is an illusion in the pic (if so please disregard) but that looks to be pretty thin (like 10 gauge? wire ) to the battery. I would highly encourage getting heavier wiring due to loss.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast