User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Maybe it is an illusion in the pic (if so please disregard) but that looks to be pretty thin (like 10 gauge? wire ) to the battery. I would highly encourage getting heavier wiring due to loss.
    It's 8 gauge, I used that because the current wire going from the distribution panel to the shutoff switch and back is 8 gauge from the factory and I didn't want to replace all of it. I will in the future if I add a second battery though.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azink007 View Post
    It's 8 gauge, I used that because the current wire going from the distribution panel to the shutoff switch and back is 8 gauge from the factory and I didn't want to replace all of it. I will in the future if I add a second battery though.
    I replaced that wire with 4AWG, along with the ground from the distribution to frame, and frame to battery. No more lights dimming when I use the slide or water pump.
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonygoncalves View Post
    I replaced that wire with 4AWG, along with the ground from the distribution to frame, and frame to battery. No more lights dimming when I use the slide or water pump.
    Good to know about the dimming, it's not as noticeable after I put the LiFePo4 in, but I'll replace it with 4 AWG MTW next time I feel like getting under the belly...
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nadkaw1957 View Post
    I sold my 4 6V CG2 batteries and bought 2 Battle Born 100Ah 12 batteries to replace them. The golf cart batteries weighed 280 lbs; the BB's weigh in at 60 lbs - 200 lbs less tongue weight to deal with. I also installed a Renogy 400 watt solar kit with an MPPT controller.
    I store my trailer at home and leave it plugged in year round. It can easily get into the upper teens and low 20's at night, so I took some precautions to make sure the batteries would charge. First I insulated the area with 1-1/2" foam insulation and hardboard. Then I installed a 400 watt inverter and mini 200 watt ceramic heater with a temperature control that will come on at 28 degrees and turn off at 32 degrees.
    I also have a Progressive Dynamics PD4655 Converter with an Li option for those rare Nevada days when there is no sun and I may need to run my generator. I'm looking forward to trying it out when the weather gets better (and the camping closures are lifted).
    By the way, a shout out to Battle Born Batteries, which are made about 15 minutes from my home. Their customer service is outstanding, and if you are fortunate enough to live close enough to pick them up in person, they do offer a decent discount for not having to ship them.

Attachment 25451Attachment 25452Attachment 25453Attachment 25454

I am just going thru all kinds of threads looking for projects and good mods. FYI I am looking at solar, know my way around AC & DC but not solar or inverter components (on learning curve). HAVING SAID THIS: I too camp out when the temps drop below freezing. I did consider putting the components under the bed...to keep them warm (as usually the trailer is heated. I have insulated the front compartment somewhat. I am building a hypothetical system that will meet my needs and your idea of placing the batteries under the bed is excellent. I would keep the electronics in the storage bay and just use some heavier gauge cables to the batteries due to a bit of extra length. I think that any noise from below the bed would incur the wrath of Mrs. Thanks.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to move to lighter-weight batteries, but knowing we're camping on and off throughout the winter, without keeping the trailer warm between trips, i would have to stay with regular batteries, right?
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
    e2 trunnion hitch and Curt 7-pin brake controller
    Victron SmartSolar 100|50 -- 2x UB121000 100ah -- 4x100W panels
    Always boondocking. No post, no facilities.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealRoland View Post
    Would love to move to lighter-weight batteries, but knowing we're camping on and off throughout the winter, without keeping the trailer warm between trips, i would have to stay with regular batteries, right?
    Not at all. If anything, the lithium batteries will perform better and last longer under colder temps than lead acid batteries. The only limitation is that they can't be charged when the battery themselves are below freezing. The actual temp will depend on the battery itself. My battleborns will accept a charge until about -4C.
    If you buy battleborns, the batteries themselves have an internal cold temp switch, so you don't have to worry about it, as the batteries will refuse a charge until they warm up enough.
    If you camp that much in the cold, you can buy the model that has a builtin heater. It will use a bit more power than the regular battery, but you would only use the heater when you're charging anyways, which means you have a source for the extra power needed, ie: generator or shore power.
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much all the LiFePO4 batteries have a low temp cut off now. There a few at the cheapest end of the spectrum that don't. So you aren't limited to just the expensive BB.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you hear that? That's the slurping sound Amazon is making on my bank account ;-)

That's great info. I'll definitely do some more reading on these, then. All for lighter-weight camping!
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
    e2 trunnion hitch and Curt 7-pin brake controller
    Victron SmartSolar 100|50 -- 2x UB121000 100ah -- 4x100W panels
    Always boondocking. No post, no facilities.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealRoland View Post
    Do you hear that? That's the slurping sound Amazon is making on my bank account ;-)

That's great info. I'll definitely do some more reading on these, then. All for lighter-weight camping!
    And if you're able to move those lithiums inside your trailer, with a little bit of rewiring of course, then you shouldn't need to worry about freezing temps while camping. On the tongue, yes, but while camping how often is the inside of your trailer actually below freezing? LiFePo are safe, sealed batteries, they won't vent hydrogen or leak acid when charging, so you can place them almost anywhere in your trailer.
    I have mine in my passthrough storage up front, but in your trailer I've seen someone install them in the pantry right by your converter?
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12