0 Thread(s)

Orient Power Lithium

Has anyone tried these batteries?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200322-112431.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	526.5 KB 
ID:	25463

I saw them on amazon and would be curious if anyone has tried them?
    https://www.amazon.com/12V100Ah-Lith...d_i=B07FZJ97FN

Thoughts?

Mike

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at similar lithium batteries also, like these (https://www.amazon.com/3-2V100AH-RUI...4906209&sr=8-4)

In addition to the 4 cells, you probably also need some sort of a Battery Management System. I honestly worry about the reliability of building my own batteries, but they are about half the price. That said, Costco is selling Lion Energy UT-1300 cells (12.8V, 105Ah, 1344Wh) for 699.99.

I'm going to watch this thread.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit I do not know much about these lithium batteries. Battery management system? What exactly will that do for the setup? I know I would have to swap out my charger/converter for sure. I have also seen some sort of battery monitor as well. I guess that would replace the battery red bubble estimator I am currently using with my flooded 6 volts?

Lots of questions... haha

mike

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike-

You definitely need a BMS (Battery Management System) if you're going to assemble your own cells. The BMS controls charging, discharging, temperature cutoffs, etc. Check this guy's channel out for some great videos on LiFePO4 batteries, solar, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse/videos
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramafic View Post
    I have to admit I do not know much about these lithium batteries. Battery management system? What exactly will that do for the setup? I know I would have to swap out my charger/converter for sure. I have also seen some sort of battery monitor as well. I guess that would replace the battery red bubble estimator I am currently using with my flooded 6 volts?

mike
    Lithium batteries:
    1. Need a very precisely regulated charge.
    2. Need to have precise monitoring to avoid overcharging, which otherwise could ruin them very, very quickly.
    3. Need to have precise monitoring to avoid discharging too deeply, which again can ruin them, even if it happens only once.
    4. Need to have each individual cell monitored, with individual charging altered so that they don't get higher/lower than the other cells ("balancing").
    5. Need to have accurate temperature monitoring to avoid:
    a. The cells themselves getting too hot, especially during charge, causing damage to them.
    b. That the environment is not too hot or too cold, and if it is, to not allow charging (ie - charging in below freezing weather can ruin them very quickly)

The BMS takes care of all that. Unless one is willing to wade deeper into the subject to learn how to do it right, it is best to only buy a complete system from a reputable vendor. While lithium iron batteries are much safer than other types of lithium cells, Spiderman was right - "With great power comes great responsibility".
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of suspected it may be more complicated than simply swapping converter and wiring it all up.

Always better to ask and learn first than to learn the hard way.

mike

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of suspected it may be more complicated than simply swapping converter and wiring it all up.
    You actually can just swap the converter and drop in LiFePO4 batteries. You just need to get batteries that have a BMS. All the big players (e.g. Battle Born, Lion Energy, etc) do.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Orient Power Lithium

mike

Mike
    Keep in mind... if you’re getting the lithiums for boondocking and you’re planning on getting solar as well, you could skip upgrading the converter since solar uses a charge controller to charge your batteries. The converter/charger is only going to charge batteries when you’re connected to a generator or shore power.

In regard to the “red bubble” indicator, that one is pretty much useless, especially since there’s no indication for 50% which is where you want to cut off usage (when using the factory lead acid battery). I see a lot of people that use this (terrible) measurement tool and end up destroying their lead acid batteries because they repeatedly let them get down to 1/3 state of charge, which does severe and permanent damage to them.
    If you do no other upgrades, I highly recommend installing any battery voltage indicator that shows the actual voltage.

Sent from my iPhone 12 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-24-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We would need a back up for solar, we camp in the trees frequently and in cloudy weather in our area. Weather would be similar to the Seattle area, not overly cold over the winter but damp and rain. We have gone with a generator rather than solar so far, which I think we would stick with given the above factors.

It is something to think about for a while. We will be holding off for a while as investments took a beating recently. If something gives out like the converter or batteries we may look back into things then.

Good info to consider though thanks again.

Mike