User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progressive Industries 50A Extension Plug

I recently purchased this plug because I had read somewhere on this forum that it was a good thing to have, to protect from bad or worn plugs at different parks. We got it and now my husband is all over me about what it is really for. He keeps saying "it's not a surge protector and I keep saying I never said it was" (love living 40' from each other for 11 months)

Could someone who has used this item let me know what the advantages to having it are, so that I can tell him it's ok? He doesn't want to unplug and replug now, but if and when we move somewhere else, we can then hook it up if he trusts that it is something advantageous.

Hope everyone is staying well and socially distanced!! Peace

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one and use it sometimes. No it's not a surge protector as your husband indicated. Depending on the pedestal design determines if I use it or not. Some of the pedestals do not allow the cord to be inserted all the way into the outlet because the box housing is in the way. This little extension you purchased will solve the problem. I do have a Progressive EMS, it is the hardwired version.

I think the other advantage that has been discussed on here is to prevent premature wear of the prongs on your shore power cord.
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 03-23-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one and use it every time. If the pedestal contacts are worn, corroded, or have been hooked/unhooked multiple times when under load, there can be some level of resistance between the pedestal outlet and your plug. This resistance can cause the plug/outlet to overheat, and has even caused the plug and/or outlet to melt. You usually can’t see the condition of the outlet (although sometimes you will notice if it’s in really bad condition), as it is in the pedestal. This can cause premature wear to your plug, due to overheating.

In my case, I use a portable 50-amp Progressive EMS, plugged directly into the pedestal. The plug on the EMS cannot be replaced, if it overheats from excessive resistance through the connection, and replacing the unit is around $350. With the extension plug in place, that is the set of pins that will take the brunt of the abuse, in the situation described above.

It’s much cheaper to replace the extension plug than the entire portable EMS.

Hope this description helps.
    Last edited by Richter; 03-23-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a hard wired 50A unit, and yes they are a surge protector and is designed to sacrifice itself if it occurs. It also protects against low power conditions which can fry the A/C and fridge motors and mis-wired pedestals. Anything that the Progressive unit protects from can cost over the price of that little black box.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a side-note, since you may not be too familiar with RV power systems, you should always ensure that the power breakers on the pedestal are in the “off” position before plugging or unplugging. Power to the outlet is what will often cause arcing as the plug is inserted or removed. That is one of the primary causes of wear to the outlet, and to your plug, which will become additive and begin to lessen the contact surface and lead to the resistance build-up mentioned in my first post.

Good luck on your adventures.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    We have a hard wired 50A unit, and yes they are a surge protector and is designed to sacrifice itself if it occurs. It also protects against low power conditions which can fry the A/C and fridge motors and mis-wired pedestals. Anything that the Progressive unit protects from can cost over the price of that little black box.
    @fearless, for clarity, Jerry probably read a bit too quickly before posting this message. Happens to us all sometimes when we're eagerly trying to help.

The other advice you've got is good... the Extension Plug is NOT a surge protector, it's not anything but a simple extension of the prongs on your EMS that plug into the campground pedestal. You use it for two reasons

1. To extend the pedestal's outlet outwards a bit, so that your EMS' plug can be fully-seated in an outlet in cases where the pedestal body pushes out against the EMS' body and makes it difficult to keep the EMS fully plugged-in, and

2. To be a relatively-inexpensive destructible surrogate for the plug on your EMS. If a bad connection at the pedestal damages the prongs you just replace the Extension Plug rather than having to replace the factory-attached plug on your EMS.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    @fearless, for clarity, Jerry probably read a bit too quickly before posting this message. Happens to us all sometimes when we're eagerly trying to help.

The other advice you've got is good... the Extension Plug is NOT a surge protector, it's not anything but a simple extension of the prongs on your EMS that plug into the campground pedestal. You use it for two reasons

1. To extend the pedestal's outlet outwards a bit, so that your EMS' plug can be fully-seated in an outlet in cases where the pedestal body pushes out against the EMS' body and makes it difficult to keep the EMS fully plugged-in, and

2. To be a relatively-inexpensive destructible surrogate for the plug on your EMS. If a bad connection at the pedestal damages the prongs you just replace the Extension Plug rather than having to replace the factory-attached plug on your EMS.
    Mark was exactly right. After having spent the better part of the day removing, cleaning, and re-installing the undermount kitchen sink, I sat down to relax for a few minutes before heading to bed and evidently I failed my first test of the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Course.

As to the OP, It will not hurt anything to use is and has been said it will protect your primary plug against damaged receptacles at campgrounds.
    Last edited by ThePowells; 03-24-2020 at 10:41 AM.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target: