User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mixing Batteries types?
    Cash flow dilemma! I want to move to the lion safari and a new convert/ charger. Currently running the one original Gp 27 that came with the coach and 2 6volt GC batteries with a selection switch. I would love to replace the Gp 27 with the lithium and use the selection switch to change use and charging. Has anyone tried this type of setup? Will these new smart convert/chargers adapt to the different types of batteries?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tburandt View Post
    Mixing Batteries types?
    Cash flow dilemma! I want to move to the lion safari and a new convert/ charger. Currently running the one original Gp 27 that came with the coach and 2 6volt GC batteries with a selection switch. I would love to replace the Gp 27 with the lithium and use the selection switch to change use and charging. Has anyone tried this type of setup? Will these new smart convert/chargers adapt to the different types of batteries?
    Some converter/chargers have settings for the type of battery they are charging. The "smart" converter/chargers automatically detect what they are charging and then adjust to bulk, absorption and float. In either case you should never charge two different types of batteries on the same charging circuit. Not sure why you want to keep two different types of batteries. You'll find that one of either the Safari or Battleborn batteries will give the equivalent power, if not more, than two of your others.
    Bruce & Sue plus 1ea fluffy Chow Chow (Maggie)
    1999 Ford F350 CC Lariat 7.3L diesel Power Stroke
    2017 315 RLTS Purchased Sept 2018
    Reese Straight Line Trunion Weight Distribution
    2000 Mariah Z308 at Bull Frog Marina, Lake Powell

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Converter/charger/power center replacement options

Quote Originally Posted by FlakKnight View Post
    That sale is what got me in on this train of thought. Couldn't help the impulse purchase... Now I just have to find a way to charge them or else back to Costco they go for a project in a year or two unfortunately.
    I quoted FlakKnight but this is an FYI for everyone... if the point of getting lithium is to boondock (and) you have solar or are planning on getting solar then the solar charge controller will charge your batteries.
    The only reason to upgrade or even “have” a converter/charger is if you’re going to hook up to shore power or a generator.
    If for instance you were only going to boondock there’s no reason to upgrade from the WFCO that came with your trailer.

Let’s say you were building a RV from scratch and all you were ever going to do was Boondock, (and you were going to use solar) there would be no reason to install a converter/charger at all.

We are currently at a campground that charges .17 per kilowatt hour so we’re not even connected to shore power.
    Funny part is we’ve had several neighbors come up to us I guess thinking that we were new and “remind us” that we forgot to connect to shore power. Their eyes glaze over as I try to explain that we have solar so we don’t need it.
    Lol
    I’m getting to the point where I wanna just say “thanks for letting me know.”

At any rate, we use everything in the rig all day long, the TV, DVD player, Xbox, microwave charge laptops, cell phones, vent fans, lights, etc. we even run the furnace all night long and every morning we are usually only down to about 70-75% so we use about 100 amp hours per day, and we usually stay up till about midnight.
    So for most people I believe you would only need one of these whatever brand 100 amp hour lithium batteries and you would be just fine. If you are someone who is out on your ATV all day or hiking and you come home and watch TV for an hour or two and you’re in bed by 10pm, you probably wouldn’t use but “maybe” 50% of one battery.

The point I’m trying to make is Yea lithium is great but it isn’t necessary to spend $5000 or $10,000 on lithium batteries, because (most people) really don’t need that much power.
    We’re night owls, so we are using up our battery bank 6 to 8 hours past the time that the solar is bringing in any power, and we could easily get by with half of our battery bank.
    I think two lithium 100 amp hour batteries would be more than enough for most people. The only reason you need really any more then that is if you’re planning to run your fridge on electric, 24/7, the fireplace, or air conditioning while boondocking.

Again, I’m just trying to keep people from spending a lot of money unnecessarily. My advice is to install 100ah (200ah max) and try it out for a while then upgrade a few months later if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-31-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I def agree with what Ed said above. We bought one of those Lions Energy UT1300 batteries from costco while it was on sale. In almost done with the install, waiting on my new converter to arrive this week. I went with the Progressive 9160 that is usually mentioned. I did end up redoing some of the wiring since I was unsatisfied how GD wired everything up. I also added the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. We live in Idaho now so there is plenty of BLM around for dry camping. My thought is go with the single lithium battery and see how we like it before I invest in any more batteries, solar or an inverter. We have an on-board generator so charging the battery or having 110v access isnt an issue. With the cost of all the wiring, converter, battery and monitor it will take about 16 nights of camping to "pay for itself" compared to if I just ran the generator the entire time during those same 16 nights based off an estimated $2.50/gallon of fuel for the generator.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 03-31-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I def agree with what Ed said above. We bought one of those Lions Energy UT1300 batteries from costco while it was on sale. In almost done with the install, waiting on my new converter to arrive this week. I went with the Progressive 9160 that is usually mentioned. I did end up redoing some of the wiring since I was unsatisfied how GD wired everything up. I also added the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. We live in Idaho now so there is plenty of BLM around for dry camping. My thought is go with the single lithium battery and see how we like it before I invest in any more batteries, solar or an inverter. We have an on-board generator so charging the battery or having 110v access isnt an issue. With the cost of all the wiring, converter, battery and monitor it will take about 16 nights of camping to "pay for itself" compared to if I just ran the generator the entire time during those same 16 nights based off an estimated $2.50/gallon of fuel for the generator.

I'm getting real close to installing our 2 lithium batteries.

What wiring upgrade did you do for the converter? Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tburandt View Post
    Mixing Batteries types?
    I was going to keep our 2 AGM batteries and have 2 battery banks. It was going to be too many headaches, plus extra costs. I will be selling the AGM's and 2 converters. KEN
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I'm getting real close to installing our 2 lithium batteries.

What wiring upgrade did you do for the converter? Thanks, KEN
    I'll take some pics when done, but I changed the routing of the output of the converter and switched it to 4awg. I added positive and negative bus bars in the front area to clean things up, i changed some of the wiring where GD used those auto reset breakers, i finally added the 80 amp circuit breaker and took the factory installed 50 amp auto reset breaker out of the circuit, I added a true battery disconnect(mainly for battery removal or electrical maintenance) , but left the factory one in place and still in the circuit, added a shunt for the BMV-712 battery monitor. I think that covers everything.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take some pics when done, but I changed the routing of the output of the converter and switched it to 4awg. I added positive and negative bus bars in the front area to clean things up, i changed some of the wiring where GD used those auto reset breakers, i finally added the 80 amp circuit breaker and took the factory installed 50 amp auto reset breaker out of the circuit, I added a true battery disconnect(mainly for battery removal or electrical maintenance) , but left the factory one in place and still in the circuit, added a shunt for the BMV-712 battery monitor. I think that covers everything.

I am planning doing most of that too, except for the 80 amp circuit breaker. I am going to move the 80 amp circuit breaker to the wall by the hydraulic pump. Where did you route the bigger wire to the batteries?
    I'm going to cheat with an inverter and plug an extension cord in from the inverter to the 50 to 20a adapter at the outside inlet. I just need to power the living room area. KEN
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I am planning doing most of that too, except for the 80 amp circuit breaker. I am going to move the 80 amp circuit breaker to the wall by the hydraulic pump. Where did you route the bigger wire to the batteries?
    I'm going to cheat with an inverter and plug an extension cord in from the inverter to the 50 to 20a adapter at the outside inlet. I just need to power the living room area. KEN
    I went from the converter to the bus bars I installed, to the battery for positive and negative.

GD wired my factory converter positive wire to the main panel and then through the disconnect switch through the auto reset breakers then to the battery. They wired the converter negative wire to a bus bar near the panel and then the bus bar connects to the trailer frame and there is a wire from the battery to the frame.

I plan on leaving the factory converter in place, but I'll pull the fuses and unplug it. More of an installed spare since the Progressive converter is bigger and doesnt fit where the original is located. I'll end up building a shelf for the new one above my auto transfer switch.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just installed my Lion Energy UT1300 battery and Progressive 9160 last weekend. After going through 2 Interstate lead acid in two years, I needed to change to a battery/charger set up that matched my style of camping.

I never stay in a campground so my camping is always boondocking. My hope was that the factory charger would top off my old battery while I ran my generator for a few hours every evening, but that wasn't enough charge time. By the end of the summer, my old battery is clinging to life as it gets ran down low with never getting a full recharge. I am excited to see if my new setup handles my way of camping. If not, I will invest into a portable solar panel to add energy all day long.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast