Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardwire or plug in?

Nope, not the Progressive EMS, but the hangar for the Solitude. Since the electrical part hasn't been done yet, rather than spend the money for the 50/30/20 box, would it be better to just go with a breaker box and hard wire the cord for the Solitude. This would eliminate the removing and replacing of the arthritic Anaconda during the colder parts of the year. The downside is the cost for the plug going into the camper.

Opinions?
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thinking out loud here, but I don't see a need for a 50/30/20 panel since your RV is 50 amp. The 30 and 20 would not be relevant to your situation. My thoughts are you if you had a hard wired cord, you'd still have to wrestle with the arthritic Anaconda to plug in the RV side. You could just get a 50 amp plug and a dedicated cord, plugged in and coiled on the floor or wall hanger, then just plug in to the RV when needed. That would give you a bit more flexibility (necessary or not) going forward. In the end, you'd still need a box to hardwire in, and a cord to hardwire, so the cost wouldn't be much more.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with LV in that either way you do it, there will be a cord to coil. I also agree with LV about flexibility, which is why I'd go all the way with the 50/20/20 receptacles. Never know what the future will bring or what you may want to plug in, like a leaf blower, power washer, Air Compressor, etc.. In the scheme of things, the 50/30/20 is ~$100 more, easy choice.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More basic response - if you are actually doing this in accordance with Code, your alternate suggestion would be a big "no."
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. The more I think about it, a 10-15 foot made up cord as I wasn't thinking about the long term goal is that in 3-4 years is that it will become a rental for storage.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target: