User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axle Ratings < GVWR?

So this could be a really stupid question so proceed cautiously....

I have a 2020 31MB, GD website lists the following specs:

UVW - 9778 lbs

GVWR - 11995 lbs

Today, I was under the rig looking for the axle information to order a suspension upgrade (Roadmaster Comfort Ride System w/shocks) fully expecting to see 7k axles. Nope, 5,200 lb Dexters... so the math on the axle ratings is 10,400 which is less than GVRW of the rig???

How does that work? is it GVRW - Pin weight = Axle load?

I'm sure it's "fine" but curious what the GD crowd has to say.... Would love your feedback on the Roadmaster if anyone has this setup

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...ils=.questions

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2019 F350 CC SW
    Reese Goosebox

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip31MB View Post
    So this could be a really stupid question so proceed cautiously....

I have a 2020 31MB, GD website lists the following specs:

UVW - 9778 lbs

GVWR - 11995 lbs

Today, I was under the rig looking for the axle information to order a suspension upgrade (Roadmaster Comfort Ride System w/shocks) fully expecting to see 7k axles. Nope, 5,200 lb Dexters... so the math on the axle ratings is 10,400 which is less than GVRW of the rig???

How does that work? is it GVRW - Pin weight = Axle load?

I'm sure it's "fine" but curious what the GD crowd has to say.... Would love your feedback on the Roadmaster if anyone has this setup

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...ils=.questions

Thanks!

The pin weight also factors inti that equation. Add the axle weights together along with the pin weight and that will give you your gvwr. That one catches a lot of people.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people disagree the way it's designed, but the entire trailer weight will never be solely on the axles, some will always be either on the pin or the front landing gear. GD isnt consistent how they do it either, for example, my GVWR is 20k and I have three 7k axles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the question has been answered but there's always more to it. On my last 5th wheel the only way to load the trailer to GVWR without overloading the axles, was to have 25% on the pin. Grand Design sizes their axles a little heavier so you have a little more flexibility with loading.

While all of this works on paper, in my opinion, there is not enough margin above the component ratings to account for unusual loadings. That being said, GD is better than others.

For comparison, the combined axle ratings of a tow vehicle are usually higher than the GVWR.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as you I was taken by surprise when I first saw this math slight of hand. I am one that believes that the axles should be able to carry close to or over the GVW. Using pin weight to allow for a lighter axle is degrading the suspension and undercarriage design. I caught this early on with another manufacturer's trailer that I was really interested in as it met a lot of my desires. I walked away from that one and started over with my new found requirements in hand. It really narrowed the field from there as it was more evident that most 1/2 ton towable 5Ws really aren't. My 260RD has 4400# axles and the factory weight is 7303# which I verified myself. I knew from my old TT that I generally carried about 1000# + of cargo. So that bought me to 8350# +/-. Even with the extra space, storage and new things I found I cannot live without I'm still below the 8800# the axles are rated for. I just consider the weight taken by the pin to be an added cushion and happy with that.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2019 2800bh is in the over built category. It has a GVWR OF 7995 and two 4400 pound axles.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlimitedmatt.......Travel trailers generally fall in that way because I don't think the manufacturers can take into account a WDH taking part of the load. I wouldn't recommend it but you can elect not to use one so the entire load is on the trailer suspension. I found their weak link and also with 5Ws in previous models are the tire/wheel combinations. Most are at or under the rated GVW. I do believe this where not all but most travel trailer tires got their bad rap. Some did deserve it.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Unlimitedmatt.......Travel trailers generally fall in that way because I don't think the manufacturers can take into account a WDH taking part of the load. I wouldn't recommend it but you can elect not to use one so the entire load is on the trailer suspension. I found their weak link and also with 5Ws in previous models are the tire/wheel combinations. Most are at or under the rated GVW. I do believe this where not all but most travel trailer tires got their bad rap. Some did deserve it.
    Just to clarify a weight distribution hitch (WDH) on a travel trailer does not subtract weight from the trailers axles. For example if a travel trailer weighs 10,000 pounds and has a hitch weight of 1500 pounds these stay consistent regardless if a WDH is used or not.

A WDH can be viewed as levers that are attached to the rear of tow vehicle and lifted up, than secured to the tongue of the trailer. It redistributes the force back to the trailer tongue, but does not change the weight exerted on the axles. I verified this with my trailer, the weight on the axles remains consistent with the WDH connected or unconnected.

I wonder if this is the reason for some of the spring failures on some 5th wheel models, the calculation of pin weight reduced from the axle rating ends up with no margin for the forces generated from movement, which increases weight or force on these components as they move on the roadway.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you take your trailer to a scale, you'll see that the math does work. I've had my 351M weighing 16K lbs and neither of my 7K axles was overloaded. I know, it's kind of strange, but it does work out. That said, my 351 is rated, IIRC, to 16,800, I would have really preferred they set it up with 2 8K axles instead of 7Ks but.. It does seem to work fine as is, I'm just not a fan of loading things right "to capacity", I like to have wiggle room in there. Thing is, a 7K axle doesn't "break" at 7,001 lbs of load, there's already wiggle room in the 7K rating, so, I guess if it works, why worry about it, right?

My gooseneck dump trailer is done the same way, FYI. 16K rating with 14K worth of axles. It also seems to work fine, but, same commentary as above applies.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone

Another "huh?" I learn to live with
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2019 F350 CC SW
    Reese Goosebox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast