User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV Issues and Radio: Suggestion to Grand Design!

We have a TLC in our 2019 18RBE which is hooked to the Jensen JWM 40 CD/DVD player using the old style single yellow RCA composite plug. The TV is OK. The DVD picture is OK. The over the air TV tuner pulls in weak signals well. The TV has HDMI inputs so I am going to experiment with a Roku device in the near future.

The Jensen JWM 40 we have should have been left at the side of the road outside the GD factory. It has an input for a USB disk or device. However the software that manages the USB content is freaking awful. It forces you to move between directories one at a time, so I have to press up (or down) to get to the next artist directory. In my case I have a USB with about 150 artist directories on it. Two things make this $uck. You can't hold down the button to quickly skip to the artist you want. To get to the middle you have to press the button down at (about 1 second) intervals 75 times. Secondly, the random function only works within one directory at a time. Its like they took really bad CD management software and copied it to the USB function. I've no idea what would happen if I put all the Rock songs in one directory, all the Jazz tunes in another, and all my classical stuff in a third. I suspect the thing can't handle more than 1000 songs in a directory. And the bluetooth connection to my phone sounds just awful. It sounds like generation one or two Blutooth, which allowed for low definition stereo. Of course the speakers have no bass, or much treble either, so the whole package all goes together. Like I said, they should have left the whole jensen package on the factory floor.

MY suggestions to GD:
    1/ If you have to install entertainment systems at least give us some different options. I'd have gladly paid for a system that can do what my car's can do with the USB.
    2/ At the factory you guys should only pre-wire the RV for TV and sound systems to be selected by the consumer and installed by the dealer (or the customer after the sale).
    3/ TCL makes great Roku smart TVs. They have been on the market for several years. They're cheap. If you have to install a TV, install one of these.

I had a better radio than this thing in my Nissan Xterra in 2013.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they’ve already addressed one of your issues... the TV in my 2020 Imagine 2970RL is a TCL Roku TV. Stereo is still the same piece of crap, which is disappointing.

The brochure for the 2020 Imagine line clearly states an HDMI DVD player, and I have the same Jenson as you. Must of had a few left over as they were switching over model years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jensen Stereo/DVD Player

Just have to add one more testimonial for disappointment in the Jensen JWM 40. We have a 2020 Transcend 27BHS. We are on our 5th camping trip and the DVD player has quit working suddenly. You put in a DVD and it indicates on the TV and stereo screen that it is loading, but then switches back to the radio. I guess we are a little disappointed as we have been pleased with the quality of everything else in our trailer but we do not even use the radio or DVD player much, so really it crapped out immediately on us. Bit of a bummer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TCL in my trailer is a 32D100 series. It displays a 720P resolution picture. The Jensen is connected composite, so the resolution may be only 480. I have used a Sony 1100 series BluRay player connected with HDMI cable and the picture was pretty good. The Sony is bottom end unit, cost $50 and is just fine for the trailer. The TCL speakers are not that much different than the ceiling speakers in the trailer. If the air is running, listening to anything using the TV speakers or the ceiling built ins is pretty much impossible. Last week we used a $20CDN Lightning Digital AV Adapter. Mirrors the connected “i” device, iPad, iPhone or iPod. Assume there is an android version. The TCL is a $130 TV, can’t expect much from it.

The Jensen is what the Jensen is. A 12V AM (sometimes), FM, USB (agree it is not very user friendly), CD/DVD player with mediocre bluetooth. The Jensen in our boat was excellent as a radio or cassette player, before CDs. Worked in a very harsh salt water marine environment.

It would be nice to have choice rather than either put up with what’s there or start to redo what’s been just paid for. I wonder if the dealers do install the electronics? On my serial number sheet, the axles and water heater are listed but not the TV or the Jensen.

Like many, I plan to take the TCL out, maybe use it in my BBQ Shack and replace it with a smart set. At that time, will probably go with a sound bar and ignore the ceiling mounted speakers.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.