User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converter useage

I have a 2019 381M and I would like to know if turning off the battery switch and hooked up to shore power will this harm the converter? When not using my 5th wheel I have shore power hooked up. If the converter is always charging the batteries is this a good thing for the batteries and converter or should only use shore power occisionaly to keep the batteries up?
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 381M
    2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When mine is in storage it is on shore power. I just leave everything alone. No disconnecting the batteries, leave the converter/inverter on. If I still have a separate converter and inverted it would be the same routine - plug it in and walk away. I've done this with all my past RVs and can't say I've have any issues.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x2………..^^^^^
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV Tech input.....

Unless your convertor has the ability to alter between charging and a trickle then I recommend not charging your batteries all the time. The convertor will provide around 13.2 volts constant into your batteries. Over time this will boil off the water and I've seen them bulge. Now if you turn off your battery switch the batteries on most rigs DO NOT charge but the convertor still provides 12 VDC to the rig as if a battery was installed.

In theory, you can operate your rig without a battery installed. Unless you use too many 12 VDC items and the convertor cannot keep up (depending upon the amp capability of the convertor). For example you try to run the furnace (fan uses a lot of 12 VDC power), and all your lights etc....

I tell folks if you leave it plugged in, periodically turn back on the battery switch to keep the batteries charged up, but keep in mind when the switch is off there is no draw on the batteries so they take a while to discharge.

Now I say all this but I've seen some RV manufacturers wire some items direct to the battery so even with the disconnect off it draws if the item(s) are used ie. 5th wheel landing gear is normally wired direct and I've seen awnings direct.

Sorry for the long ramble...like to share with folks what I know.....

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Tech View Post
    RV Tech input.....

Unless your convertor has the ability to alter between charging and a trickle then I recommend not charging your batteries all the time. The convertor will provide around 13.2 volts constant into your batteries. Over time this will boil off the water and I've seen them bulge. Now if you turn off your battery switch the batteries on most rigs DO NOT charge but the convertor still provides 12 VDC to the rig as if a battery was installed.

In theory, you can operate your rig without a battery installed. Unless you use too many 12 VDC items and the convertor cannot keep up (depending upon the amp capability of the convertor). For example you try to run the furnace (fan uses a lot of 12 VDC power), and all your lights etc....

I tell folks if you leave it plugged in, periodically turn back on the battery switch to keep the batteries charged up, but keep in mind when the switch is off there is no draw on the batteries so they take a while to discharge.

Now I say all this but I've seen some RV manufacturers wire some items direct to the battery so even with the disconnect off it draws if the item(s) are used ie. 5th wheel landing gear is normally wired direct and I've seen awnings direct.

Sorry for the long ramble...like to share with folks what I know.....
    My unit has the WFCO ULTRAIII 9800 series and is only a 3 stage converter, I was thinking that maybe I should have a 4 stage converter that has the equalizing mode and use the process you described. I have been looking at the progressive dynamics 60 amp converter. what are ypur thoughts?
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 381M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 9800 you have does "trickle charge" at the 13.2 VDC. The PG is a better unit but you need to keep in the same amp range. You are looking at a 60 but what is your current one? On the unit it should reflect the amps by the last two of the 9800 model number ie. 9850 - 50 amps.....

Mark

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 9800 you have does "trickle charge" at the 13.2 VDC. The PG is a better unit but you need to keep in the same amp range. You are looking at a 60 but what is your current one? On the unit it should reflect the amps by the last two of the 9800 model number ie. 9850 - 50 amps.....

Mark
    My converter is a 55 amp, the reason I was thinking of changing was to have the 4 stage process that had the equalizing mode. Progressive Dynamics has a replacement chart that states that there PD9160av is a replacement fot the WFCO 9855. Would this 5 amps make a difference?
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 381M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know if the wfco converter is hard wired or if it has a regular power cord? Also will the Progressive Dynamics fit in its place. I appreciate your help and response.
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 381M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are just screwed to the floor so size is not an issue (they are both very close in size). Both plug in.

Two items you need to be aware of:
    1) go look at your receptacle your existing unit is plugged into. It should be a 20 amp plug (it has the power pin going up and down as well as top to bottom. PG use to send out there units with only the sideways plug and it would not fit the standard receptacle. The newer ones they did change them back - but best to check the receptacle and then not worry about which one you may get.
    2) the PG one comes with a wired charging "genie" that shows you the status (mode) of the converter - you will have to wire this up and put it in a place you can see it, if you so decide to use.

Look at this plug to better understand what I means https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-00I/202066701

Good Luck...

Mark

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are just screwed to the floor so size is not an issue (they are both very close in size). Both plug in.

Two items you need to be aware of:
    1) go look at your receptacle your existing unit is plugged into. It should be a 20 amp plug (it has the power pin going up and down as well as top to bottom. PG use to send out there units with only the sideways plug and it would not fit the standard receptacle. The newer ones they did change them back - but best to check the receptacle and then not worry about which one you may get.
    2) the PG one comes with a wired charging "genie" that shows you the status (mode) of the converter - you will have to wire this up and put it in a place you can see it, if you so decide to use.

Look at this plug to better understand what I means https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-00I/202066701

Good Luck...

Mark
    I took the back panel off and found that the converter is hard wired to the the fuse panel with a 15 amp breaker, what a electrical mess behind the panel i have never seen such a bird nest. i will take a photo and post.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3300070.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	25591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3300071.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	25590 I will have to cut the hard line that supplies power and install a electrical receptial to plug the new converter into. I'm woundering if 15 amp is enough breaker for the PG9160 converter.
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 381M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast