User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That old blast of cold water after pausing the shower head problem...

So, OK, you are having a shower and have the water temp set just right. To save water, you pause the water flow by pressing the pause button on the shower head while you lather up. When you unpause to continue, you get that blast of cold water before the warm water gets through again.
    Has anyone figured out a way, short of turning the shower valves off to prevent that?
    Alternately, has anyone replaced the dual valve shower control with a single lever/knob temperature compensating style valve?
    Thanks -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a blast of hot!

The theory is either hot or cold system has slightly higher pressure causing a slight back flow of that system into the other through the shower valve manifold. In your case cold is apparently the higher pressure so it infiltrates the hot side.

The way to fix it is to put a check valve in the line on the hot side to prevent the backflow. If you get a blast of hot, the check valve goes on the cold side.

I haven't done it because it doesn't bother me that much but others have reported the check valve install works.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    I get a blast of hot!

The theory is either hot or cold system has slightly higher pressure causing a slight back flow of that system into the other through the shower valve manifold. In your case cold is apparently the higher pressure so it infiltrates the hot side.

The way to fix it is to put a check valve in the line on the hot side to prevent the backflow. If you get a blast of hot, the check valve goes on the cold side.

I haven't done it because it doesn't bother me that much but others have reported the check valve install works.
    I agree that one side is infiltrating the other but I think it is actually infiltrating into the shower hose. The head has a constant trickle when paused.
    It would make more sense that the hot would be the higher pressure due to heat and expansion but ours is definitely cccooolllllldddd! lol
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we switched shower heads we also got a shutoff valve that attaches at end of hose and shower head. True shut off. (KES).

No dribble of water at all. When turning back on it barely registers a little cooler.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    When we switched shower heads we also got a shutoff valve that attaches at end of hose and shower head. True shut off. (KES).

No dribble of water at all. When turning back on it barely registers a little cooler.....
    We may have to look into that. Currently using the one that came with our Oxygenics.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may sound crazy coming from an engineer who has to fix everything, but I just aim it at the wall for a second when I restart it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    This may sound crazy coming from an engineer who has to fix everything, but I just aim it at the wall for a second when I restart it.
    Ditto. Not really that big a deal.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what I do now, but as a hard core boondocker, I hate wasting water or holding tank capacity.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. And yes you can add check valves if you want to fix the problem.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do the same thing and it seems to work fine. It's not much different than using our expensive high tech home shower at home. If you shut off the water supply, the the water in the pipes will change temp depending on the surrounding plumbing and temperature.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast