User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couch out, Custom desk installed

We tried to escape, then the virus, then Governor said stay home, so, we came home last night after 1300 miles in 7 days (never left Montana), we have really tried out the new modifications.

In our line of work, we need a mobile office. With that in mind, we took out the sofa/couch/fold out bed, and built a desk over the winter. The goal is for one of us to work from the camper when the other one is on-site with a customer.

Here is the space with the couch removed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200317_115106.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	25556
    You can see a power cord (14ga with a regular female plug end). I took out the camper outlet in that right side end table and replaced with a residential version which has push in 14ga and screw type connectors. This allowed me to connect all of the existing wires and add another for the outlet without needing a junction box. Those Leviton Decora black outlets look the same as the ones that GD put in: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/office-supplies/computer-accessories/3464971

Here is the desk top installed.

Name:	20200317_155349.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	25557
    On the left, that is a cabinet that the top mounts to. On the right side, there is a 2x4 with a couple of little blocks glued to it allowing it to be screwed to the side of the end table (just under the lip) and the top of the desk. The top just hangs over the top of the end tables without anything under them. All things that touch the end tables or the walls have felt glued to them to keep from scratching up the original surfaces.

The top is 3/4 inch oak. The trim pieces are all Walnut (Home Depot). Stain is Minwax 70013 Qt Wood Finish-Ebony, it takes about 2-3 coats to get a similar stain. Finish is Minwax 63010444 Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Finish, quart, Satin. The top has a 1.5 inch trip piece of walnut rear screwed into it for the front of the desk giving it some more strength and a bit of a lip under the desk.

The cabinet is actually the place where the cat litter box is located:

Name:	20200317_172748.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	25558
    The drawer for the litter box has a full extension drawer slides can handle 40 lbs. I don't have the link to that because I had some left over from a previous project. The litter box is from Walmart.

Here is the desk ready for work:

Name:	20200317_172729.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	25559
    You can see the cat door with the motion light on inside the litter box. You can get the matching GD handles by going online at GD and finding the part number. Then call Pharr RV in Texas https://www.pharrrvs.com/ and they will ship you the parts.

Lastly, here is a picture of the chair:

Name:	20200328_102655.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	25560
    the Kitchen slide is in, the dining slide is out. You can see that the chair fits under the desk and between the slides when both are in. The desk is 28" deep so it is inset from the end tables by about 4". I use a bungee cord with some small holes drilled in the inside front trim of the desk top so they don't slip out (that was determined after first trip). Outlet strip is now screwed down with a 1" gap behind so power bricks can fit.

When the time comes, I can unscrew all of that and remove it. put the couch back in and sell it like it never had a desk.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW really well done. Impressive.
    Jim T.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
    We tried to escape, then the virus, then Governor said stay home, so, we came home last night after 1300 miles in 7 days (never left Montana), we have really tried out the new modifications.

In our line of work, we need a mobile office. With that in mind, we took out the sofa/couch/fold out bed, and built a desk over the winter. The goal is for one of us to work from the camper when the other one is on-site with a customer.

You can see a power cord (14ga with a regular female plug end). I took out the camper outlet in that right side end table and replaced with a residential version which has push in 14ga and screw type connectors. This allowed me to connect all of the existing wires and add another for the outlet without needing a junction box. Those Leviton Decora black outlets look the same as the ones that GD put in: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/office-supplies/computer-accessories/3464971

On the left, that is a cabinet that the top mounts to. On the right side, there is a 2x4 with a couple of little blocks glued to it allowing it to be screwed to the side of the end table (just under the lip) and the top of the desk. The top just hangs over the top of the end tables without anything under them. All things that touch the end tables or the walls have felt glued to them to keep from scratching up the original surfaces.

The top is 3/4 inch oak. The trim pieces are all Walnut (Home Depot). Stain is Minwax 70013 Qt Wood Finish-Ebony, it takes about 2-3 coats to get a similar stain. Finish is Minwax 63010444 Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Finish, quart, Satin. The top has a 1.5 inch trip piece of walnut rear screwed into it for the front of the desk giving it some more strength and a bit of a lip under the desk.

The drawer for the litter box has a full extension drawer slides can handle 40 lbs. I don't have the link to that because I had some left over from a previous project. The litter box is from Walmart.

You can see the cat door with the motion light on inside the litter box. You can get the matching GD handles by going online at GD and finding the part number. Then call Pharr RV in Texas https://www.pharrrvs.com/ and they will ship you the parts.

the Kitchen slide is in, the dining slide is out. You can see that the chair fits under the desk and between the slides when both are in. The desk is 28" deep so it is inset from the end tables by about 4". I use a bungee cord with some small holes drilled in the inside front trim of the desk top so they don't slip out (that was determined after first trip). Outlet strip is now screwed down with a 1" gap behind so power bricks can fit.

When the time comes, I can unscrew all of that and remove it. put the couch back in and sell it like it never had a desk.
    great mod. i have a 7 year old that uses the pull out. might come up with another way for him to sleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you have the raised floor where the sofa sat? Our sofa is in a slide out area and the floor is raised but we'd rather have a desk in that area instead. We are concerned we'll have trouble because of the raised floor.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just took the couch out and use a folding table. That is also, where the 2 dog beds go for our golden and English cream go.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Did you have the raised floor where the sofa sat? Our sofa is in a slide out area and the floor is raised but we'd rather have a desk in that area instead. We are concerned we'll have trouble because of the raised floor.
    No, the sofa sits in the rear of the rig, where the floor is flat. You'd have an issue with the raised edge, depending on how deep a desk you put it and how close you want to sit to the desk.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post

Very Nice!
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, if I were remote working and needed a desk in mine, this is exactly how I would do it. Nice big window to look out of... really nice job.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the idea. Simple and exactly what I was looking to do to our 2021 Reflection 303RLS. I had been wondering about the stain on the cabinets. We travel with a Bassett Hound and three cats so the hidden litter box is a necessity.

Herve & Chris Mann