User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 Imagine 2800 BHS Owners

hi MGR,

been lurking for a while and figured i'd finally post an introduction. we're a family of 3 with a 5.6 yo daughter living in fishtown philly. we very recently purchased our first truck and tt and aside from a 2 week trip we took to a few rv resorts in nj and ny in a rented motor home, we're totally green when it comes to rving. part of our motivation in making the rv thing happen is that we home school our daughter and were hoping to to take advantage of the freedom to experience more of our country and be able give her more time in nature. we live in a row home in a very densely populated part of the city with little nearby opportunity for a kid to run around freely.

the experience so far has been bittersweet with this whole pandemic going on. we started the process of securing a loan before it really started spreading outside of china. by the time we closed on the loan it was already in several other countries. not so much with my wife, but it definitely crossed my multiple times whether this was a smart move to move forward right now. we put a down payment on the tt about a month ago before we went on a 2 week vacation to mexico (thank god our vacation wasn't a couple weeks later!). the timing was funny (not really) in that we bought the truck the day we got back from vacation and within 2 days all of a sudden things started getting REAL around here. i actually had another dealer that didn't initially respond to my email request for an "out the door" price on a truck finally reply 2 days later with a price $2000 lower than what they were asking on autotrader. i joked when i replied to tell her i already bought a truck asking if that was the coronavirus discount.

we also already put a down payment on nice seasonal spot at an rv resort in nj (belhaven lake). we were scheduled to pay for and pick up the tt and pay off the balance at the rv resort 2 weeks after we got back (last firday). during that time while more cities and states announced lock downs, i was thinking "well looks like we won't be buying that tt for a little while." but our sales guy told us they were business as usual until / unless the state shuts them down. so we did it. the resort is only 15 minutes from the dealer and thankfully, the short trip went smoothly. towing is definitely going to take some getting used to and a lot of practice! we love the resort and mitch, one of the owners that helped us get set up is great. he said they were planning on staying open but with a lot of restrictions in place like the bathhouses staying closed, no activities and people supposed to practice social distancing. it was like 2 days after we settled up on everything and brought our new tt to our new spot when we got an email from the rv dealership saying they had to close until further notice. (got in just in the nick of time! )

we were thinking (naively hoping) we'd be spending this weekend in our new tt, but with the nj governor announcing statewide shelter in place and telling people not to go to their 2nd homes in nj, we got word from belhaven that they had to close until further notice.

so great timing right!?!

sorry, this was long. but you all probably have some more free time right now!

anyway.. hopefully things will go back to normal eventually and we can start enjoying our new rig. looking forward to learning from all you experienced rv'ers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 12.40.29 PM.png  

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site. Yeah, your timing could probably have been better, but be happy. You got a nice rig, and when this clears up, you'll have places to go. Get the family out of the city and have fun.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello to a fellow 2800 owner! How does your Tundra handle your camper?
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    hi! well, we only pulled it once on a 15 minute drive on back roads, but so far so good! when we went over some bumpy roads it was a little surprising feeling the trailer lifting the truck a little. but seems like if we ever get to use it it'll be good. how do you like the 2800? how long have you had it?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love our 2800! We picked it up in 10/2018. I camped in it 19 nights in 2019, never once in a campground. Thankfully we have a bunch of public land out here. I still have hope that I will be able to use it more this year.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by froward View Post
    hi! well, we only pulled it once on a 15 minute drive on back roads, but so far so good! when we went over some bumpy roads it was a little surprising feeling the trailer lifting the truck a little. but seems like if we ever get to use it it'll be good. how do you like the 2800? how long have you had it?
    Welcome and nice rig

I pulled our 2019 2800BH with the same Tundra CM4x4 TRD and it did just fine! Took it up and over the I-80 Eisenhower Pass in CO...hated the gas mileage but it pulled fine. The Tundra was a company truck that I turned in at a job change so now we pull it with an F150 with the V6 EcoBoost. I was never a Ford guy but I have to say we have much more power and overall feeling of "control" with the new truck. I felt more porpoising and that lifting sensation you mentioned than anything I've felt in the Ford. Also a lot more payload available with the aluminum body of the F150, which is key for us with three kids and lots of gear! I'm sure you'll do fine, just giving my experience with the two different tow vehicles.

Have fun and be safe out there!
    John and Jessica - Plus 3 Kids...2 Cats...2 Dogs
    Tucson, AZ - Sabino Creek

2019 Imagine 2800BH
    Towing with 2018 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Super Crew

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice, thanks!