User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this possible?

2019 Reflection 287RLTS:

Am I able to use the trailer on shore power without having the battery hooked up? Tried looking in the search fxn but no luck.
    Todd and Kathy
    2017 Ford F250 4x4, 6.2 gasser, 3.73 gear ratio
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 287RLTS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebpac View Post
    2019 Reflection 287RLTS:

Am I able to use the trailer on shore power without having the battery hooked up? Tried looking in the search fxn but no luck.
    Yes you can use the trailer on shore power without the battery hooked up. Just make sure that you battery cables aren't touching or you will damage the converter.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 Reflection 287RLTS:

I think the answer is "yes but". The converter should power most of the 12V loads, but (here it is) the battery provides both filtering (might get some noise on stereo/radio or erratic results with sensitive electronics) and surge capacity (for high current loads like furnace motor start up or possibly slide or jacks starting). Why do you want to run without the battery hooked up? You have to have a battery when towing to provide emergency brake power.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just brought it out of storage but don't plan to use it just yet. Just wanted to hook it up to our house to put the slide out and check some things.
    Todd and Kathy
    2017 Ford F250 4x4, 6.2 gasser, 3.73 gear ratio
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 287RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just brought it out of storage but don't plan to use it just yet. Just wanted to hook it up to our house to put the slide out and check some things.
    If already at your house, I would say try it. The worst that should happen is something (jacks or slides) would not work correctly and you would need to install the battery. Schwintek slides only draw a few amps (mine is around 5A) so that should be fine. I do not know what the electric rack & pinon slides in a reflection draw for power. The hydraulic slides (in my Solitude) can draw over 90A (especially in cold weather) and can have all sorts of problems if I do not have a good charged battery installed.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This wont' be a problem. The electric slides work fine without the battery as long as you are hooked up to shore power.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Winter in Sparks Nevada,Summer we travel all over.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 315 RTLS all season (which it isn't) we were hooked up to shore power, lost shore power and not one of our systems came on. All the lights A/C, nothing, zip, zam, zowie...Geez, am I showing my age again?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warren1951 View Post
    2018 315 RTLS all season (which it isn't) we were hooked up to shore power, lost shore power and not one of our systems came on. All the lights A/C, nothing, zip, zam, zowie...Geez, am I showing my age again?
    Without shore power, you are running off the battery only. Unless you installed an inverter, you won't have any 115 v power, only 12 v. You should be able to run the lights, fridge on propane, and furnace. None of the 115 v appliances will run. So, if you don't have lights, is the battery charged? Did the battery cut-off switch get turned off by chance? Simple things first...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked this question for my previous Coachman Apex and was told that historically the 12V system uses the battery as a filter/buffer/surge source, and that extended periods of running with the battery out of the loop will significantly shorten the overall live of your WFCO inverter. I ran mine a bit with the battery out of the loop with no observed failures, but it was repeated to me in that thread that people who remove the battery and go extended on the WFCO alone will often see early failure compared to others who run the system with the battery. Truth or fairy tales...... I do not know.
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had two 30' travel trailers set up permanently on our lake property with 20 amp 110 connections and no batteries. After about 10 years there were no issues. Even the hyd. slide on the one trailer worked fine.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"