User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic 8 cu ft Fridge Handle Adjustment?

During our recent shakedown trip with our new Reflection 150 series 295RL, we discovered that the main door handle/latch on the refrigerator didn't want to fully release to allow the handle to open the door. I found that if I pushed the door towards the hinge side that it would usually open but what a pain that is just to open the door each time! I have been looking in both the installation and operation manuals for any adjustments but can't find anything. Does anybody have any suggestions? I will try and contact Dometic next week but wilth the current situation, there might not be anybody there. Thanks
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Dometic 8 cf in my 2020 2600rb. Looking at it there doesn't appear to be anyway to adjust that. I'll be interested in hearing what they have to say.

I do have a McGiver fix idea that would probably work if you're interested.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    I have a Dometic 8 cf in my 2020 2600rb. Looking at it there doesn't appear to be anyway to adjust that. I'll be interested in hearing what they have to say.

I do have a McGiver fix idea that would probably work if you're interested.

Thank you Charles. I got an email reply from Dometic that said they know of no adjustment and to take it to a service center. I'm not going that route and would love to hear your McGiver fix. I am going to try and shim a lower corner of the box and see if I can tweek the cabinet slightly to make the latching area shorter. Since it doesn't look like I'll be taking the trailer out soon, I can spend a lot of time on this project!
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don’t need to take it to YOUR dealer. Any dometic dealer or even most mobile techs can do warranty work on your refrigerator.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodwrench View Post
    Thank you Charles. I got an email reply from Dometic that said they know of no adjustment and to take it to a service center. I'm not going that route and would love to hear your McGiver fix. I am going to try and shim a lower corner of the box and see if I can tweek the cabinet slightly to make the latching area shorter. Since it doesn't look like I'll be taking the trailer out soon, I can spend a lot of time on this project!

I didn't think about a lower corner shim, that might work.

Maybe hold off until tomorrow on that shim idea. It's late tonight. When I get home from work tomorrow I'll take a picture and explain what I'm thinking. You might want to see what I got and then decide what route to try first. My idea is just a little complicated to explain without a picture.

Either fix won't void the warrenty. I'm with you, no way I'd send it to a dealer for what is going to be a simple fix done at home.
    Charles and Susan

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gave the refrigerator a good look. Doesn't look like it would be an easy fix raising a corner since the entire frame is screwed down. Here is a McGiver that I think would work.

The top latch of the refrigerator handle is the latch that actually holds. In the picture, part A is pushed down by part B when you open the refrigerator, causing it to unlatch from the small catch on the door frame. I'm guessing part A is not being pushed down far enough. You could take a little piece of thin plastic and using double sided sticky tape, stick it to area C. That should cause part A to push in farther when opening the door.

It probably only needs to be a thin piece of plastic. It's worth a try and easy to remove if it doesn't work. I know you shouldn't have to make a fix like this but way easier than taking it to a dealer. If you try this let me know if it works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	25760
    Charles and Susan

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    Gave the refrigerator a good look. Doesn't look like it would be an easy fix raising a corner since the entire frame is screwed down. Here is a McGiver that I think would work.

The top latch of the refrigerator handle is the latch that actually holds. In the picture, part A is pushed down by part B when you open the refrigerator, causing it to unlatch from the small catch on the door frame. I'm guessing part A is not being pushed down far enough. You could take a little piece of thin plastic and using double sided sticky tape, stick it to area C. That should cause part A to push in farther when opening the door.

It probably only needs to be a thin piece of plastic. It's worth a try and easy to remove if it doesn't work. I know you shouldn't have to make a fix like this but way easier than taking it to a dealer. If you try this let me know if it works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	25760

Thank you very much Charles. You must be a technical writer because you have excellent communication skills. When I was playing around with it, I did think of adding a shim of some sort at (C) but I didn't have much at my disposal to experiment with. However, I have just cut up a plastic milk jug and will take this material with me next trip to the trailer. I think your idea will work if I can get something to stay put in that location. Thank you again for your interest in this problem and I will keep you posted of my (I hope success)!
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon