Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 6.2 towing 2500RL

I have a 1/2 ton 2016 Silverado High Country with the 6.2. The owners manual says I'm good for 9200 lbs. Is anyone pulling a 2500rl with this configuration ? Looking for some constructive input. Don't want to buy a 3/4 ton if I don't have to but not out of the question. Most of my towing will be on flatland. I live in central Fla. and plan on staying in the S/E for most of my outings.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a bit more helpful if you list your CCC (cargo carrying capacity) of the Silverado. Located on the sticker on the driver's side door jam. That is the figure you'll go over before you hit your tow rating.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shows 1480 max for combined weight of cargo and occupants.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new at all this but I'll take a stab at this question.

Definitely a WDH with anti sway is recommended.

The 2500rl is rated similar to my 2600rb. After loaded for camping you're trailer is going to be closer to 7,000# and at 12% your hitch weight will be up towards 850#. So take the 850 + passengers + anything you carry in the truck and that figured shouldn't exceed your CCC

If you check out my Titan/2600rb CAT weights thread it should give you a close real world scenario since the 2 trailers have similar ratings and my Titan has a CCC of 1488.

I'm sure others with much more experience can give you a more detailed answer.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I know I'm at the edge of the comfort zone. Was definitely going with WDH and anti sway. I'll be traveling lite compare to most as will only be me and a pet. Never carry water. Travel lite travel right .....

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottld View Post
    I have a 1/2 ton 2016 Silverado High Country with the 6.2. The owners manual says I'm good for 9200 lbs. Is anyone pulling a 2500rl with this configuration ? Looking for some constructive input. Don't want to buy a 3/4 ton if I don't have to but not out of the question. Most of my towing will be on flatland. I live in central Fla. and plan on staying in the S/E for most of my outings.
    I don't think you need a 3/4 ton truck. I have towed a Reflection 297RSTS which loaded came in at 9400 lbs loaded with a 2009 Tundra. Truck towed well, stopped well so from my standpoint it will tow well and no need to upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck. A good Weight distrubution hitch with sway control will be a big help.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada