User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto leveling kit

I'm working with a RV maintenance company to install an auto leveling kit to my Imagine 2500RL. It is the Ground Control TT kit from Lippert. To get the clearance, the techs need to cut away part of the i-beam for the a-frame hitch that connects to the body under the trailer. About 4 feet of it will be untouched and the mod won't require all of it to be cut. Obviously, this is a bit risky. Has anyone tried installing this kit before? Had any troubles with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be clear, there will be 4 feet of the beam still connected to the main body frame for the trailer. The connection runs about half the length of the trailer (which seems overkill). The techs think this should still be more than enough and I don't off road the trailer (so, just wondering how crazy am I for doing this).

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does not sound ok. But I have zero experience with this. Hopefully someone with more knowledge here will reply.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's a bit concerning...but I also know (as an engineer), a company will add a significant safety factor. This is a multiple of what is needed to support the structure. For example, the trailer is rated to only hold 9k lbs...but can actually do a few thousand more. The safety factor is meant to account for "unknowns".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me start by saying I have zero experience with metal work and this type of application, but logically speaking it is not the amount of metal they cut out but how they restructure it afterwards. I would assume they could strengthen it back up as it was before. I am sure your TT is not the first to get this install.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they going to gusset the frame to take the twist that auto leveling creates?

Current specs on the frame are for leveling at the axles, not the front and rear.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexBuckeye View Post
    To be clear, there will be 4 feet of the beam still connected to the main body frame for the trailer. The connection runs about half the length of the trailer (which seems overkill). The techs think this should still be more than enough and I don't off road the trailer (so, just wondering how crazy am I for doing this).
    This alone ('...thinks...") would send me running away from any thought of cutting frame members.

I agree there is some amount of a safety margin built in too, but how much, where, and what effects it are all unknowns. Lippert's engineers would be the best bet to consult about this.

And, as Hunter70 said, there is more to it than just mounting jacks...

One last thought - I always thought travel trailers were not meant for "auto-leveling" and that leveling is expected to be done with leveling the tires for side-to-side and using the front jack for front-to-back and then stabilizing the trailer with the frame mounted stabilizers.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is truly the Lippert Ground Control TT for travel trailers there should not be any cutting of the frame for clearance. If you watch the videos for installations there are mounting brackets. See the video in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5anZ35vjes

See around the 1:30 mark and 5:05 for the front installation. You have a max of 60" and as close to the draw bar as possible.

I would not let them cut away part of the beam as others have said may cause issues. Should be measure, drill, bolt and tighten. Good luck
    Last edited by weekender01; 06-10-2020 at 10:23 AM.