User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 GD M381 - Garage Door Window Install

So, just shy of two months into the new unit, and four trips completed, a couple of things have been bothering me with this new Momentum 381. Doing my best to do the work myself where possible, especially with all this Beer Flu stuff going around and working from home.

Firstly, the garage side entry door. Why would any unit come with a door that dosen't have a window in it. It's a safety thing having a window in it, so you can see out and downward to avoid hitting someone on the stairs. Well, I had enough after the last trip where my wife accidentally hit me in the head while I was putting on my MX boots.

Got the jigsaw, drill, level, masking tape and AP Thin Shade window (Amazon) out and said "let's do this." I will admit that cutting a big hole into an expensive door did have me holding my breath for awhile at the beginning, but the install took less than an hour, minus cleanup.

Back of the box for the window give a rough size template for marking to cut. It was a tad oversize for my taste so I adjusted inwards 1/8" around. Would rather have to cut more than cut too much. Taped the entire top half of the door exterior with masking tape to avoid chipping the gelcoat, and this is an absolute must or you will get ragged edges. Penciled the cut line on, leveled it, and drilled a corner hole with a 1/2" bit to start the jigsaw cut. Used a clean wood T101BR blade and dialed the saw back to midpower.

Cut came out great and used a dremel sanding wheel to smooth out two small spots that made the window frame fit nice and tight. Overall, easy experience. Turned out great. Water tight and nice shade feature to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3102.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	25571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6385.jpg 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	25572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1274.jpg 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	25574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5634.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	25575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5101.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	25576

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it came out pretty good!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing that, I've already looked up the window. On my project list now.
    '19 Momentum 351M
    '20 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 8' bed