User Tag List

Thread: Built In Desk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Built In Desk

Being just the two of us empty nesters, we only need seating and sleeping for the two of us, so... the sleeper sofa is out and the desk is in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200329_175111.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	25580

Name:	IMG_20200329_175128.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	25581

Lots of new storage

Name:	IMG_20200329_175155.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	25582

All of the exposed wood work and hardware came from Grand Design. You can find the part number s here:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...y/parts-lookup

Everything was laminates or pre finished which meant I had to be careful with damaging the finished surfaces (not to mention, MDF doesn't hold a screw worth a....) so I had to get creative with how I assembled the cabinet.

The top was a new experience for me. I found out that Lowes carries HiMacs countertops and they actually have the perfect match color for what is in the Solitudes but then I discovered that they have a 25 square foot minimum order. So we went to the local countertop fabricator to see what they could do. During this process, DW and I agreed that since it was a different "space" maybe a perfect match wasn't what we really wanted. We picked a complimentary color so there was a separation of the spaces.

I'm not a cabinet guy, so I've been intimidated by these materials, but solid surface countertop (in this case Corian) is surprisingly easy to work with. You can cut it with standard carbide saw blades (better blade = better cut); carbide router bits work with it better than wood. The only tricky thing I had to do with this one was build up the front edge and shape it like the existing countertops. The pros will tell you that you need the proper glue. I did a test piece with standard epoxy and beat it to death with a hammer. This material is actually very impressive (standard epoxy works great, but I would recommend a test piece.) So I glued up three layers on the front edge and shaped with a router. It wasn't perfect, but ok. Then it sanded like a dream. I was able to blend all of the imperfections so they disappeared. I used 80, 120 and 220 on the orbital sander and then wet sanded by hand with 320 and 400. It looks great! One thing I did learn was about the glue up. Since I didn't use the colored adhesive that the fabricators use, I can see the glue joint in a few places on the front edge. I think a little more care with the clamping will take care of this and I didn't even see it until I got to 320 grit wet sanding. Only I know where these flaws are and overall I'm pleased with the result. If you are handy, but are afraid to work with these materials, don't be. They are really very nice to work with.

Ok. This got reaaallly long. I'm happy with the project and I hope it gives someone some ideas of what are possible.
    Roger, Stacy and the Sophie the fur kid

2017 Solitude 300GK
    2015 Chev 2500 Diesel (replaced)
    2020 F350 DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo! Great work.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! DW and I have a vision of the RV that fits us. This is one step in that direction.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very impressive and NICE work. WOW!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice!!

What are your plans for a chair, since you have that ‘lip’ between the slide out and the main floor to contend with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichStwrt View Post
    Very nice!!

What are your plans for a chair, since you have that ‘lip’ between the slide out and the main floor to contend with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We use a high top table and bar stools instead of the dinette and since the desk is a little high (almost countertop height) the bar stools work well. Stool stays on the main floor and knees go under.