User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cable or cable?? Which one for extending internet?

We have a new doublewide being installed and 110 feet away is the new hangar for the Solitude. We are going to run an extension from the DW to the hangar for internet access and the total run will be just less than 175". The two options I see for this are Cat6 patch cable or coax. I am pretty sure that the coax can run from a T connector underneath the DW and that it would require another modem (and account) from Spectrum. The patch cable would be run from the WiFi router installed in the DW and connect to a second router in the Solitude. The cables will be ran underground in conduit and I plan on laying both at the same time in order to have future flexibility without more digging. I know that installing antennaes and running a wireless system is an option, but the costs involved and still having to buy cable may negate any real benefit. Just to put everyone's mind at ease, both are a new installation and we are digging for water, septic, and power lines, so this will be in a channel with water line and will be ran inside 1 inch black water line while underground. Which would be better and what am I overlooking. I know that I will also have to put a connection in the connections box and run cable inside the trailer. My easiest placement is somewhere around the TV in the main room.
    TIA
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont claim to be an expert, but a quick google search states cat6 is good for 100m and coaxial cable is good for 500m. It seems like either would work for your 175' run. I guess it depends on the source, are you coming off a router or a dedicated new connection to where it splits from the DW? If off a router, cat6 might be easier since the router doesnt typically use coaxial connections for outputs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have the option of either way. The Spectrum coax to the DW router will be right there and I have the option of running either coax from it, or running the cable alongside and to the modem and router. I neglected to expand that there will probably be 3-4 handhelds or laptops running from the first router. I imagine that I can install a T and then move the modem in the Solitude and see what difference it makes.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im guessing when you say run a "T" from under the DW you mean a 2-way splitter. Otherwise I'm confused.

Get some RG6U coax cable for the run. The U is for underground and may included a built in runner for use as a ground. Grounding it at both ends might reduce the effect of lightning strikes effecting the electronics at either end (something we concern ourselves in FL with all the lightning).

CAT6 can go 300 feet, so you're OK at 110'. Get some good cable there too.

I don't think you'd need another modem from Spectrum. If it comes to that then Spectrum is going to have to run an additional cable from the road to your DW; I don't think they can put 2 on one run but I'm not sure.

I suppose the second router in the RV is for use of devices in there. Of course they'd be on a separate WIFI hot spot doing it that way; that should work fine.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I hoped I helped some how.

I know it would be another expense, but I'd put both in a conduit (PVC probably is better than aluminum or steel). I'd guess both could be in the same conduit. Probably pull at least one pull string too and leave it in the conduit in case you have to replace a cable or run another one.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cat6 for sure over coax. I'd pull a few of them while I was at it, the cable is cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Vertical-Copp...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You can get direct burial cable too, but if you do that (rather than conduit), absolutely pull a few in case something gets cut.

Or, if you want to do it cheap/easy, get 2 of these and call it a day.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nano...s%2C175&sr=1-1

I use these all over my property to extend my network, they work great and are cheaper than cable. Plenty fast for most tasks, but if you want to transfer big files, no doubt, a cable that can run 10G is going to be a lot better. If you're just streaming Netflix and browsing the web, the Nano's are faster than most people's Internet connection, more than enough.