Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude 369 RL - Getting DirecTV to Work

In the water control area there is just 1 plug to connect the Winegard cable to the rig... I am guessing this line gets split to the main room, bedroom and pass through storage cables...

So how do I get directv to possible work. Since it is not working if I hook up the dish box in the main room to the cable next to the TV - I am guessing since the line is split to those 3 areas from the Winegard line in.

I think older models have pass through with 3 lines to each other but I don't - so how do I get directv?

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0690.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	25602
    Last edited by gd369rl; 03-31-2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added image

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Automatic satellite antennas have to be connected directly to the matched receiver without any splitters. I've not seen a Grand Design RV (Reflection or Solitude) that did not have a satellite input for each TV in the rig. If you only have one labeled "Satellite," it likely only goes to the living room. Cable inputs can be split, but not satellite. Since you have the Anderson Brass water panel, your 369 appears to be at least several years old - that may be the difference.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - this is an early 2014 Solitude 369RL. There is the only 1 cable input. I have tried hooking it up to the bedroom and the main room and neither of them I can get to work... so am I out of luck getting DirecTV if it's split?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gd369rl View Post
    Yes - this is an early 2014 Solitude 369RL. There is the only 1 cable input. I have tried hooking it up to the bedroom and the main room and neither of them I can get to work... so am I out of luck getting DirecTV if it's split?
    Is it labeled either "Cable" or "Satellite?" There's still a work-around, though. We had poor cable and connectors in our Reflection, so I installed a through-hull coax receptacle on the underside of the slide under the living room entertainment center. I used quad-shield coax to go from the back of the through-hull to the Wally (we're with Dish) and connected the Wally to the TV with an HDMI cable. When the slide was out, I connected a piece of quad-shield coax between the through-hull input and the satellite antenna. Worked perfectly and avoided long runs of poor quality cable with splice connectors.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Automatic satellite antennas have to be connected directly to the matched receiver without any splitters.

Rob
    I had great luck with an earlier trailer and before I "cut the cord" with Dish, where I used diplexers that do in fact "split" a coax for use with cable or antenna and satellite. It worked great with my TailGater automatic antenna and the Dish receiver. Just an FYI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Rob said is right. What JohnJCES said is right.

The Diplexer use is right but is mostly just needed if running both cable TV and Satellite signal on the same coax. You have to use a Diplexer on both ends.

Try going behind the panel that contains your antenna/cable switch (the thing most people call a booster - the one with the light that come on when you switch to antenna).

There will be 3 cables into that switch. One input is antenna, one output goes to all the TVs (likely via a splitter) and one cable should be directly wired to the input in you water bay. The connections for those 3 connections are usually identified on the back of the switch panel itself so should be pretty easy to identify each wire.

If you pull off the wire into the cable input and connect that directly to your DirectTV receiver I think you'll find you get a signal.

The reason you can't get a sat signal through that switch has to do with the higher frequencies of the satellite dishes LNB, the low signal levels, voltage passing, etc. Whatever, sat signals and digital TV signals on coax don't pass well, if at all, through that switch.

A lot of times I rewire folks' switch so they can select cable and antenna separate from that switch and just use the switch for a power supply to the antennas built in booster. Maybe you could do the same if you still want to use the antenna for over-the-air or use a cable input fro campgrounds.

Hope this helps some rather than confuse things.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went behind the switch and took a picture. Tried plugging the directv box directly into all 3 cables and none worked - just got the 771 searching for signal... works fine right from winegard -> directv - so obviously some type of splitter or issue with GD wiring and only having 1 main wire come in...

Any clue what else I can try?

Name:	IMG_9777.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	25633

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    What Rob said is right. What JohnJCES said is right.

The Diplexer use is right but is mostly just needed if running both cable TV and Satellite signal on the same coax. You have to use a Diplexer on both ends.

Try going behind the panel that contains your antenna/cable switch (the thing most people call a booster - the one with the light that come on when you switch to antenna).

There will be 3 cables into that switch. One input is antenna, one output goes to all the TVs (likely via a splitter) and one cable should be directly wired to the input in you water bay. The connections for those 3 connections are usually identified on the back of the switch panel itself so should be pretty easy to identify each wire.

If you pull off the wire into the cable input and connect that directly to your DirectTV receiver I think you'll find you get a signal.

The reason you can't get a sat signal through that switch has to do with the higher frequencies of the satellite dishes LNB, the low signal levels, voltage passing, etc. Whatever, sat signals and digital TV signals on coax don't pass well, if at all, through that switch.

A lot of times I rewire folks' switch so they can select cable and antenna separate from that switch and just use the switch for a power supply to the antennas built in booster. Maybe you could do the same if you still want to use the antenna for over-the-air or use a cable input fro campgrounds.

Hope this helps some rather than confuse things.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see what type of Winegard you are using but hopefully this pic helps you. The coax cable from the splitter would connect to the faceplace connection you're using for cable/satellite.

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	25634
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue is GD has some type of splitter after the connection coming in to split the cable connection to the 3 areas you can put TVs. Which is not working with directv. In 2015 they switched to 3 input connections I guess to the 3 areas you can have TVs so the connection would not be split and this would work easily...

Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    I didn't see what type of Winegard you are using but hopefully this pic helps you. The coax cable from the splitter would connect to the faceplace connection you're using for cable/satellite.

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	25634

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gd369rl View Post
    The issue is GD has some type of splitter after the connection coming in to split the cable connection to the 3 areas you can put TVs. Which is not working with directv. In 2015 they switched to 3 input connections I guess to the 3 areas you can have TVs so the connection would not be split and this would work easily...
    In almost every situation the splitter to all the TVs is AFTER the antenna/cable switch. That's how most manufacturers distribute cable or antenna (Over-The-Air) to all the TVs. In almost every situation the cable coming in goes directly to the antenna/cable switch.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast