User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backup camera - first post

Just purchased a 2020 reflection which is wired for a b/u camera. My 2014 ram diesel does not have a screen so what monitor and camera do you recommend w/o going broke?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    Just purchased a 2020 reflection which is wired for a b/u camera. My 2014 ram diesel does not have a screen so what monitor and camera do you recommend w/o going broke?
    Gary, welcome.

Grand Design trailers have a mount factory-installed for the Furrion camera system. The Furrion camera plugs in to an existing wire in the trailer and installs in minutes in the mount there. It's sometimes so easy (with a warning that I'll give you below) that a lot of people including me buy the Furrion system just because of that pre-installation done at the factory.

It can be purchased with a single camera for the rear of your trailer plus a monitor to be placed somewhere in your truck. The system also supports optional side cameras and a security camera over the entry door of the trailer. Here's the product page.

https://furrion.com/collections/cameras/Vehicle

Here's the manual for the system:

https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906126258...0001-2_web.pdf

You can find a lot of other posts here about this system, good reviews and a few negatives, by using the search system at the upper right of this page. You can also use google, which often works better, by entering search terms in the usual way but adding site:mygrandrv.com after your search terms so it searches only this site.

There are posts here by people who have purchased less-expensive options; you again can search for them using "rear camera" and site:mygrandrv.com. I've read that one of these alternatives can be adapted to fit in the Furrion mount you already have, but can't remember more information about it. Search here for it.

The warning I mentioned above is following, and it can apply to installation of either the Furrion system or a system from another manufacturer.

Grand Design has been very inconsistent about how it installs the power socket for the rear camera. You may find that your camera power is on all the time, which most people don't want. You may find that it's wired to the marker light circuit so that the camera will be powered on only when the truck's and trailer's lights are turned on, which is the preference of a majority of owners. You may find that it's weirdly wired to power for a bathroom fan or something else. Years of sloppy inconsistency, though lately there seem to be more reports of marker-light installs from the factory so maybe the problem is getting better.

Once again you can find posts here about how people (including me) have dealt with this.

Good luck with your choices and your installation.
    Last edited by boyscout; 03-31-2020 at 06:15 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 what Boyscout said. Easy -just watch that you don't drop one of the screws. They are a pain to find, as some can attest, including me. And mine are powered from the marker light circuit.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a Haloview backup camera on my Solitude. Had to take off the factory Furrion mount (4 screws) and use the mount that came with it. Works great as a backup camera, has night vision and sound but not so good as a observation camera. The picture cuts out at about 45 MPH. Customer service suggested raising the monitor location ( I have it on the center console under the radio) and even sent me a extended antenna for free which helped a little. I think the signal has to go though my 2 AC units when towing. Comes with a 7" monitor and is a fraction of the price of the Furrion. I bought this 2 years ago and the new ones have a higher data rate so they work better as an observation camera. https://www.amazon.com/Haloview-MC71.../dp/B079M6R7NB
    Last edited by Smithkev; 04-02-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithkev View Post
    I installed a Haloview backup camera on my Solitude. Had to take off the factory Furrion mount (4 screws) and use the mount that came with it. Works great as a backup camera, has night vision and sound but not so good as a observation camera. The picture cuts out at about 45 MPH. Customer service suggested raising the monitor location ( I have it on the center console under the radio) and even sent me a extended antenna for free which helped a little. I think the signal has to go though my 2 AC units when towing. Comes with a 7" monitor and is a fraction of the price of the Furrion. I bought this 2 years ago and the new ones have a higher data rate so they work better as an observation camera. https://www.amazon.com/Haloview-MC71.../dp/B079M6R7NB
    If the ac's were blocking the signal, speed would have nothing to do with it. I have had several cameras- the RVS and now a Voyager both have intermittent signals. I added a signal repeater to the Voyager and it still cuts out intermittently. I think Ford's tpms is interfering with the camera's signal
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    We elected to install an observation camera "furrion" and wired it to the marker lights on our 5th wheel. When my vehicle lights or parking lights are on, the camera is on. I cannot stress enough, the comfort of being able to see what is behind you as you are driving down the road, i.e. traffic.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like your approach to see behind while traveling. Thank you so much.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    We elected to install an observation camera "furrion" and wired it to the marker lights on our 5th wheel. When my vehicle lights or parking lights are on, the camera is on. I cannot stress enough, the comfort of being able to see what is behind you as you are driving down the road, i.e. traffic.
    I agree with you completely. I never liked towing on the interstate and not knowing what was behind me. I took to "wagging the tail" of the rig a little bit to get a view (only when it was clear on either side). Works but not the best thing. Bought the Furrion and installed it in the rig. Now I know if anyone is back there before making a move. Added benefit is that with the sound, I can hear DW when backing up - First night of camping is much less stressful now
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll chime in here as I have installed a Haloview mc7108 camera system and I find it outstanding in my instance. If you do some research you will see this kit checks off all the best features of an observation camera that you would want. That along with very good build quality makes it worth consideration. With this kit the factory Furrion bracket needs to be removed and a Haloview supplied bracket installed. The bracket screw holes are on the same centers so it's a matter of unscrewing one and installing the other, a 5 minute job. I recommend a bit of sealer in the screw and wire holes as I found none from the factory and evidence of moisture intrusion. The rubber gasket, which I kept in place, is not enough by itself. With this system the camera angle is adjustable in the vertical plane which allows you do get the distance behind that suits you. If you want to retain the Furrion mount Haloview kit 7109 provides a camera that attaches right to it, otherwise the same as the 7108 kit
    I find it's picture quality and utility to be superb. I use it as a back up and observation camera with good effect. I can see tractor trailers coming up from behind that are beyond mirror view. I like the ability to change to single or split screen. Up to four cameras can be monitored. I bought a second camera to mount on my pin box to watch as I back up to connect, taking the guess work out. Night vision is good which I found a pleasant surprise as I've not had much experience with it previously. I'm working on another mount to use the second camera as an outside monitor to see what goes on while I'm inside at night. You would be surprised to see the abundance of wildlife.
    My 5W being 30 feet in length brings the camera closer to the receiver(monitor). Others with longer trailers that complain would probably be better served with a repeater installed. There are limits to any wireless system and they are disclosed in the specifications. The only bugger I have found, which is not Haloview's doing, is the rear camera is only powered when I have the headlights on in my truck. It's on the same circuit as the running lights. Not a big problem as long as I remember to shut the headlights off. The pin box camera I have wired to come on with with the front light.
    In all the whole thing came at a cost of about $325 with two cameras and an hour and a half of my time to install the rear camera and set up the monitor. And a little more time to get the wire through to the pin box.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 04-04-2020 at 05:28 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at purchasing the Haloview RD7 with the extender. My rig is around 35 feet and I've read good reviews about the clarity and lack of pixeling while at speed. I've just got to figure out if I run the wire through the belly or on the roof. With the rear kitchen, I believe I could run the wire down the refrigerator vent area into the belly and up to the front of the coach, where the extender would be mounted.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast