Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rest Areas

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I've yet to stop over at a rest stop. I read that it's not kosher to put your slides out. In our case with the kitchen dinette slide in, we have no access to the kids' bunk room. I suppose we could convert the dinette and let them sleep on top of that.

Is it that putting the slide out takes too much room and risks another vehicle striking it as they pass? It it ever ok to put the slide out?

In our case the slide in question is on the driver's side. So long as the area we are parked at is level, our coach is level with the truck. So if we were able to put the slide out, it should be fairly simple.
    Well, I don't know about the whole "Kosher" thing, but as long as you are within the lines of the slot you are in, I'd say your OK. If someone else just doesn't like it, I'd say it's their problem and as far as the danger of someone hitting the extended slide out? Once again, if you're within the lines, that's their problem (well, your's too but it's theirs to pay for). If you're concerned about this, just don't take the risk. Also, if you can get into an end slot you've got more room to play with.

That said, I have never stayed at a rest area overnight. I like to arrive alive so we plan our trips so that we have a campground at night and we avoid the "marathon" drives like the plague - 8 hours is enough and 10 is OK in a stretch. I guess in an emergency, any port in a storm, but pre-planning goes a long way. However, I have pulled into rest stops for lunch many times and put the slide out so we could get at the appliances and dinette. I've never had anyone say anything about the slides being out.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Well, I don't know about the whole "Kosher" thing, but as long as you are within the lines of the slot you are in, I'd say your OK. If someone else just doesn't like it, I'd say it's their problem and as far as the danger of someone hitting the extended slide out? Once again, if you're within the lines, that's their problem (well, your's too but it's theirs to pay for). If you're concerned about this, just don't take the risk. Also, if you can get into an end slot you've got more room to play with.

That said, I have never stayed at a rest area overnight. I like to arrive alive so we plan our trips so that we have a campground at night and we avoid the "marathon" drives like the plague - 8 hours is enough and 10 is OK in a stretch. I guess in an emergency, any port in a storm, but pre-planning goes a long way. However, I have pulled into rest stops for lunch many times and put the slide out so we could get at the appliances and dinette. I've never had anyone say anything about the slides being out.
    Yeah that's kind of what my feeling was. I would only use the rest stop for a nap or something like that. We would only overnight in an emergency. In our summer tour that is coming up, I only have 3 total days that I'm driving 5 or more hours. Most drives are 2 to 3 hrs.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes in NM, AZ, and TX. As long as my slides don't get in the way, I put them out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234