Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prevent Dump Valves From Freezing

Hello...

We own an Imagine 2150RB. The black and grey dump valves are exposed to the elements below the enclosed insulated floor. Everything above this wont freeze, but I'm worried about the dump valves and the plumbing that runs below the enclosed insulated floor. I know they are 4" pipes and it will take a lot to freeze them, but sure wouldn't one of these to freeze, breaking and spilling out some really nasty stuff...
    David, Shar and Bejr - Boise, Idaho
    2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB (Madge) - Andersen WD Hitch
    2004 Ford F150 5.4 (Henry) - Procomp Lift and traction bars, 4:56 Gears, Hypertech Tuned, Banks Monster Exhaust, K&N Intake, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your 3 best solutions are;
    Stay out of freezing weather,
    Make sure that your tanks and valves are fully drained,
    Pour RV Antifreeze in each tank after it has been thoroughly drained.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    Your 3 best solutions are;
    Stay out of freezing weather,
    Make sure that your tanks and valves are fully drained,
    Pour RV Antifreeze in each tank after it has been thoroughly drained.
    So much for having a trailer that is supposed be somewhat usable in cold weather. They really should have enclosed these in the belly of the trailer...
    2004 Ford F150 5.4 (Henry) - Procomp Lift and traction bars, 4:56 Gears, Hypertech Tuned, Banks Monster Exhaust, K&N Intake, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david3allens View Post
    So much for having a trailer that is supposed be somewhat usable in cold weather. They really should have enclosed these in the belly of the trailer...
    Yours is "usable" in cold weather, and "somewhat usable" in really cold weather. I don't know of any RV under 200K that can go into any freezing condition without at least 30 seconds of the owner's precious time. Pouring a gallon of RVAF into an empty gray tank and letting it flow to the termination valve outside doesn't really seem like a big effort for Justin.
    If that ever becomes an issue for me, I'm living inside the wrong four walls. Ours has been down in the low teens without hyper draining the drain lines without a problem.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    Yours is "usable" in cold weather, and "somewhat usable" in really cold weather. I don't know of any RV under 200K that can go into any freezing condition without at least 30 seconds of the owner's precious time. Pouring a gallon of RVAF into an empty gray tank and letting it flow to the termination valve outside doesn't really seem like a big effort for Justin.
    If that ever becomes an issue for me, I'm living inside the wrong four walls. Ours has been down in the low teens without hyper draining the drain lines without a problem.
    Thank you for your response....

Yea, we don't plan on doing any really cold weather camping. I was just concerned if it ever gets down to the 20's at night while camping that my 4" inch exposed dumps don't ever freeze. That would be a real mess if they did and cracked.

Being as large as the dump pipes are, I think it's going to take more than just getting to the 20's at night and then warming up each day for them to freeze. I guess I just need to be sure we are not camping when it doesn't warm up above freezing during the day and we should be OK.

David

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since your tanks are within your insulation, you will be fine. I was thinking more that yours is is like mine and I have a gate valve on the end. My class C had both tanks and valves exposed and we went through 140+ hours below freezing with lows between -1 and +5 and I know that they were well drained and I think I put 1 gallon of RVAF in each tank. You will be fine.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I’m new to this website, but bought a brand new Solitude (Mid-bunk model) in 2017 and have been full-timing since then. As a (somewhat) helpless single woman, I have no business full-timing in any RV at any time.... but that’s another story how I got here. LOL!!

Anyway - may I ask more about the use of the antifreeze in the tanks? I did purchase the specific marine/rv antifreeze.... so I’ve got 2 gallons of that. I’m wondering what the procedure is to use this in gray & black tanks. So... do I need to completely empty the tanks first, then add 1 gallon in each tank?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prevent Dump Valves From Freezing

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    Hello,
    I’m new to this website, but bought a brand new Solitude (Mid-bunk model) in 2017 and have been full-timing since then. As a (somewhat) helpless single woman, I have no business full-timing in any RV at any time.... but that’s another story how I got here. LOL!!

Anyway - may I ask more about the use of the antifreeze in the tanks? I did purchase the specific marine/rv antifreeze.... so I’ve got 2 gallons of that. I’m wondering what the procedure is to use this in gray & black tanks. So... do I need to completely empty the tanks first, then add 1 gallon in each tank?

Thanks for any info you can offer.
    Hi Tracer,

First, since you are full timing on your own, I would say you are not helpless. A full time lifestyle in these rigs is not easy and certainly that much harder as one. Second, this lifestyle is not exclusive to men, lots of solo rv women out there who are just as capable as their male counterparts. Don’t sell yourself short.

Ok, with that out of the way let’s talk antifreeze. The antifreeze you mention is for the fresh water system, not the waste system. It’s purpose is to prevent the lines from freezing and bursting. The goal is to flush all water out and full with the antifreeze which has a lower freezing point, thus protecting your fresh water system. Frozen pipes suck.

You should have tank heaters on your rig that operates off of 12v. What and how you protect depends largely on if you are occupying and where you are. If you are on a cold area, you could certainly make sure the underbelly is heaters well as keeping the interior well heated.

Unfortunately the waste valves on most rigs are not protected and prone to freezing. I have never used the rig in super cold weather, so I am sure others with more experience can chime in.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS