User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reinforcing New Imagine XLS Drawers

All,

My wife and I recently took delivery of our new Imagine XLS. Upon unhitching in our driveway and proceeding to give things a closer look...

The face of one of the drawers literally almost fell off as my wife opened the drawer to inspect it. I witnessed with my own eyes. Where was no rough-handling to speak of, just a normal opening of a drawer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0109.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	25651

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	25652

I took the picture after pushing the two pieces back together somewhat by hand. After realizing that all of the drawers in the trailer are held together with staples I decided to shore things up a bit:

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	25653

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	25654

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	941.6 KB 
ID:	25655

While I was at it, I figured it was a good idea to shore up all the remaining drawers in the trailer. So that's been my project for today.

I also noticed that none of the rails are properly fastened in the rear of the cabinets, but there are holes for screws. Only a bracket held with staples. This discovery was made while looking closer at a wobbling rail. Turns out it was not even attached to the bracket in the back, which explained why it felt loose. I slid the rail into the bracket and it seems like it will stay put, just not sure if it worked it's way out during transport or if the installer never attached it at the factory (my hunch says the latter). Reinforcing the rear brackets for the drawer rails may become a project for another day.

For some reason the orientation of the pictures went weird during the upload. I'm not sure how to change that, apologies for the odd angles.

Best!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you did the right thing shoring all that up. Lots of trim held in place with really thin pin nails too. I keep construction adhesive on hand (liquid nails, or loctite, etc.).

That said, welcome aboard and congratulations!
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otg-family View Post
    All,

My wife and I recently took delivery of our new Imagine XLS. Upon unhitching in our driveway and proceeding to give things a closer look...

The face of one of the drawers literally almost fell off as my wife opened the drawer to inspect it. I witnessed with my own eyes. Where was no rough-handling to speak of, just a normal opening of a drawer.

Name:	IMG_0109.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	25651

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	25652

I took the picture after pushing the two pieces back together somewhat by hand. After realizing that all of the drawers in the trailer are held together with staples I decided to shore things up a bit:

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	25653

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	25654

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	941.6 KB 
ID:	25655

While I was at it, I figured it was a good idea to shore up all the remaining drawers in the trailer. So that's been my project for today.

I also noticed that none of the rails are properly fastened in the rear of the cabinets, but there are holes for screws. Only a bracket held with staples. This discovery was made while looking closer at a wobbling rail. Turns out it was not even attached to the bracket in the back, which explained why it felt loose. I slid the rail into the bracket and it seems like it will stay put, just not sure if it worked it's way out during transport or if the installer never attached it at the factory (my hunch says the latter). Reinforcing the rear brackets for the drawer rails may become a project for another day.

For some reason the orientation of the pictures went weird during the upload. I'm not sure how to change that, apologies for the odd angles.

Best!
    You did a much better job shoring that all up than would have been done had you taken it back to the dealer. Good move.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the workmanship should be better. I think you should provide GD with some feedback.

For the pics, there’s a weird glitch with this website. You have to “edit” the photos on the phone before uploading it, I usually rotate mine 3-4 times, basically all the way around before re-saving it. It will then upload correctly.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is one other place for you to shore up - the bottoms. Get some good 1/4 plywood and sandwich in from underneath. If you cut it a smidgen wider than stock you can bend it to get a snug fit. I also think you should sent these pictures to GD. They do not monitor this sight any more. They may reimburse you for your costs to repair. Include your vin. Contact information is on the GD web page.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they all like this? I was really thinking the GD products were higher quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kangarooelaine View Post
    Are they all like this? I was really thinking the GD products were higher quality.
    “Are they all like this?” - No

“I was thinking GD products were higher quality” - All manufactures have issues. You generally only hear of the problems on forums like this. If you spend any time on other forums you will see what I mean. GD has excellent customer service and will work with you if you have issues. Some dealers may make the process difficult though.

Having said that, I am seeing a trend on this forum with new units having roof bubbles. I think GD may not be using the proper glue. That is why you are getting feedback from others in another thread you started to do your due diligence when you pick up your new trailer. Most likely it will be okay but you may run into something someone mentioned here then you will be better prepared to understand and deal with it.

Our xls 22mle had two issues, first was corrected by our dealer and was workmanship related, second I fixed but not GD’s fault but the recliner manufacturer’s. No problem with the roof or drawers and quality is good so far.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The drawer bottoms on our 2650 are 1/8" hardboard and one broke from the weight of a cast iron skillet in it. Since it was broken I disassembled the drawer and replaced the bottom with 1/4" plywood. Funny thing - the drawer already had 1/4" slots milled in it.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea to attach screws to the inside. Staples aren't going to cut it, especially for the ones with heavier items.

On a semi-related note, recently the kitchen pot/pan drawer latch came loose in the middle of a trip with a lot of windy roads. Thankfully it didn't cause too much damage banging around but I had to replace the slides (put some nice soft-close 100lb slides in) and installed a lock so that the drawer stays put. Just have to remember to lock it
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II