Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Reinforcing New Imagine XLS Drawers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reinforcing New Imagine XLS Drawers

All,

My wife and I recently took delivery of our new Imagine XLS. Upon unhitching in our driveway and proceeding to give things a closer look...

The face of one of the drawers literally almost fell off as my wife opened the drawer to inspect it. I witnessed with my own eyes. Where was no rough-handling to speak of, just a normal opening of a drawer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0109.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	25651

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	25652

I took the picture after pushing the two pieces back together somewhat by hand. After realizing that all of the drawers in the trailer are held together with staples I decided to shore things up a bit:

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	25653

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	25654

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg 
Size:	941.6 KB 
ID:	25655

While I was at it, I figured it was a good idea to shore up all the remaining drawers in the trailer. So that's been my project for today.

I also noticed that none of the rails are properly fastened in the rear of the cabinets, but there are holes for screws. Only a bracket held with staples. This discovery was made while looking closer at a wobbling rail. Turns out it was not even attached to the bracket in the back, which explained why it felt loose. I slid the rail into the bracket and it seems like it will stay put, just not sure if it worked it's way out during transport or if the installer never attached it at the factory (my hunch says the latter). Reinforcing the rear brackets for the drawer rails may become a project for another day.

For some reason the orientation of the pictures went weird during the upload. I'm not sure how to change that, apologies for the odd angles.

Best!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you did the right thing shoring all that up. Lots of trim held in place with really thin pin nails too. I keep construction adhesive on hand (liquid nails, or loctite, etc.).

That said, welcome aboard and congratulations!
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otg-family View Post
    All,

My wife and I recently took delivery of our new Imagine XLS. Upon unhitching in our driveway and proceeding to give things a closer look...

The face of one of the drawers literally almost fell off as my wife opened the drawer to inspect it. I witnessed with my own eyes. Where was no rough-handling to speak of, just a normal opening of a drawer.

Name:	IMG_0109.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	25651

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	25652

I took the picture after pushing the two pieces back together somewhat by hand. After realizing that all of the drawers in the trailer are held together with staples I decided to shore things up a bit:

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	25653

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	25654

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg 
Size:	941.6 KB 
ID:	25655

While I was at it, I figured it was a good idea to shore up all the remaining drawers in the trailer. So that's been my project for today.

I also noticed that none of the rails are properly fastened in the rear of the cabinets, but there are holes for screws. Only a bracket held with staples. This discovery was made while looking closer at a wobbling rail. Turns out it was not even attached to the bracket in the back, which explained why it felt loose. I slid the rail into the bracket and it seems like it will stay put, just not sure if it worked it's way out during transport or if the installer never attached it at the factory (my hunch says the latter). Reinforcing the rear brackets for the drawer rails may become a project for another day.

For some reason the orientation of the pictures went weird during the upload. I'm not sure how to change that, apologies for the odd angles.

Best!
    You did a much better job shoring that all up than would have been done had you taken it back to the dealer. Good move.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Longbed SRW
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the workmanship should be better. I think you should provide GD with some feedback.

For the pics, there’s a weird glitch with this website. You have to “edit” the photos on the phone before uploading it, I usually rotate mine 3-4 times, basically all the way around before re-saving it. It will then upload correctly.

Mom, Dad, two boys and a shiba inu
    2013 Suburban 2500 6.0L, 6L90E, 3.73 gears
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is one other place for you to shore up - the bottoms. Get some good 1/4 plywood and sandwich in from underneath. If you cut it a smidgen wider than stock you can bend it to get a snug fit. I also think you should sent these pictures to GD. They do not monitor this sight any more. They may reimburse you for your costs to repair. Include your vin. Contact information is on the GD web page.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 F350 King Ranch dually