User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lights Flicker When the Water Pump Operates

I had a problem with the lights flickering in the living room (310 GK) whenever the Water Pump operates. I determined that GD did not run a dedicated power wire for the Water Pump, instead they daisy chained the positive wire for the Water Pump off of the back of all the other switches in the operating panel (the same wire powered the lights in the living room), consequently, whenever the Water Pump ran, the living room lights would flicker.

At first I replaced the pump (it failed on me once anyway [couldn't get the dealer to replace it under warranty]) and the lights still flickered.

To fix this issue I ran a new 12v wire from the 12v power panel (there were a few available slots for new circuits, just added a 10 amp fuse) to the back of the operating panel and plugged the new wire into the Water Pump Switch.

Viola' No Flickering !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto.... A few of us have done this. I went so far as to run another 15 amp circuit up to the main control panel to separate the power source for lights, awnings and slides.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I had a problem with the lights flickering in the living room (310 GK) whenever the Water Pump operates. I determined that GD did not run a dedicated power wire for the Water Pump, instead they daisy chained the positive wire for the Water Pump off of the back of all the other switches in the operating panel (the same wire powered the lights in the living room), consequently, whenever the Water Pump ran, the living room lights would flicker.

At first I replaced the pump (it failed on me once anyway [couldn't get the dealer to replace it under warranty]) and the lights still flickered.

To fix this issue I ran a new 12v wire from the 12v power panel (there were a few available slots for new circuits, just added a 10 amp fuse) to the back of the operating panel and plugged the new wire into the Water Pump Switch.

Viola' No Flickering !!!
    I had the same problem. I installed a 12 volt relay in the compartment where the water pump is. Used the original feed to trigger the relay and feed the load directly off the battery.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shared circuit problem also exists on the 110 volt side. My refrigerator was on the same circuit as the TV, radio, and living room outlets -- including the luxurious Thomas Pane massage/heat center.

My refer is now on its own dedicated circuit.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viola' No Flickering !!!
    I’m thinking about doing this as well, but I’m not very “electrical” minded. I get adding a fuse and connecting to empty 12v slot & adding fuse, but which connector on the switch did you swap out and does that affect your 3 way switch in the water bay for the water pump?
    Joe & Melissa
    2018 Solitude 310GK, Sailun S637’s, Morryde 7k IS
    2021 Ram Bighorn 3500 DRW 4x4
    Southwest Missouri

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    The shared circuit problem also exists on the 110 volt side. My refrigerator was on the same circuit as the TV, radio, and living room outlets -- including the luxurious Thomas Pane massage/heat center. My refer is now on its own dedicated circuit. -Steve
    On the "official" electrical plan for the 310GK that Grand Design provides to owners who ask for it, your luxurious Thomas Payne massage / heat center / light show should not be on the same circuit as the other loads you list, nor should the electrical outlets on either side of the rear sofa. Those outlets are indicated as being on circuit 'F' while the others you listed should be on circuit 'G'. However...

A couple of months ago I was running four 1,300-watt heaters that - according to the "plan" which I had not consulted - were all on the same circuit 'F'. The circuit breaker should have popped with two heaters on it, but all four ran. Those outlets were clearly not all on circuit 'F', and all those you listed should not have been on circuit 'G' (or 'F').

It seems that the only safe thing to do is ignore the electrical "plan" that Grand Design publishes for reference and trace / test the individual circuits the hard way. Sounds like you've done / started doing that.

I wonder if there's any chance that two or more 310GKs will be wired the same way?!
    Last edited by boyscout; 04-03-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeshantz View Post
    I’m thinking about doing this as well, but I’m not very “electrical” minded. I get adding a fuse and connecting to empty 12v slot & adding fuse, but which connector on the switch did you swap out and does that affect your 3 way switch in the water bay for the water pump?
    On the back of the main water pump switch are three wires, the center wire is 12v positive (red). I simply ran my new 12v wire to this center post. Since this fix only changes the source of the 12v power supply, the remainder of the circuit is not effected.

PS: I used 14 awg wire and a 10 amp fuse.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    On the "official" electrical plan for the 310GK that Grand Design provides to owners who ask for it, your luxurious Thomas Payne massage / heat center / light show should not be on the same circuit as the other loads you list, nor should the electrical outlets on either side of the rear sofa. Those outlets are indicated as being on circuit 'F' while the others you listed should be on circuit 'G'. However...

A couple of months ago I was running four 1,300-watt heaters that - according to the "plan" which I had not consulted - were all on the same circuit 'F'. The circuit breaker should have popped with two heaters on it, but all four ran. Those outlets were clearly not all on circuit 'F', and all those you listed should not have been on circuit 'G' (or 'F').

It seems that the only safe thing to do is ignore the electrical "plan" that Grand Design publishes for reference and trace / test the individual circuits the hard way. Sounds like you've done / started doing that.

I wonder if there's any chance that two or more 310GKs will be wired the same way?!
    I’ve been working on that...not completely done yet, bit a work in progress. This is what I have so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D548D79C-4E91-4136-9B7C-66644ABD5C10.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	334.8 KB 
ID:	25661

Name:	369813C9-9FA7-4959-9FDE-2675FF5839DF.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	25662

Name:	4C162EAD-B2D3-4AF3-BEB7-07F3710F840D.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	25663

Name:	1106C088-FB54-4857-B34B-A4D3982F2C23.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	25665
    Joe & Melissa
    Southwest Missouri

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the back of the main water pump switch are three wires, the center wire is 12v positive (red). I simply ran my new 12v wire to this center post. Since this fix only changes the source of the 12v power supply, the remainder of the circuit is not effected.

PS: I used 14 awg wire and a 10 amp fuse.
    Thanks, sounds like a plan.
    Joe & Melissa
    Southwest Missouri

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeshantz View Post
    I’ve been working on that...not completely done yet, bit a work in progress. This is what I have so far.
    Wow, Joe, excellent, thanks!

Your diagram confirms what @andrewssteve reported about his trailer, yikes! That's a whole lotta potential load on circuit 14 in your diagram.

Your diagram also sort-of explains how I got away with running those four heaters. I was running two of them on circuit 14 of your diagram and two on circuit 4 of your diagram, instead of all four on the same circuit per Grand Design's diagram. However if my trailer is wired like yours and Steve's I was running two of them on circuit 14 along with the fridge, watching TV, and running a coffee grinder. Blind luck - or something more sinister - that I didn't pop anything.

Thanks again... please re-post when you've completed your project.
    Last edited by boyscout; 04-03-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast