User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New RVers here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New RVers here.

Hello folks. My wife & I are new to the RV world. We're both freshly retired and have been planning for a few years on traveling the U.S. and possibly Canada. Being a business owner we never really had the time to be part timers.

After much research we've settled on the Solitude 310GK-R with FBP. Ordered it on 3/31 but given the current situation we really don't know when we'll take delivery. I was told about 8 to 12 weeks by the dealer we chose, Coachlight RV in Carthage Missouri. If GD does resume production in mid April I figure (hopefully) that we'll have it by August.

We've made an appointment for the end of September with Morryde in Elkhart to have the independent suspension with disc brakes installed. Supposed to be great weather there at that time of year.

We were considering Solitudes and Keystone Montanas. What we found from our research in comparison was that Montana owners seem to have more problems and that Keystone didn't really stand behind their warranties until the customer was satisfied. On the other hand GD owners tell of problems being resolved even after the warranty periods. Montana owners talk about their fivers being the best in their price range. I have found, through my research, GD to be better quality in the same price range. I do hope this proves to be true.

We chose the 310GK for a combination of comfort and accessibility. We hope to do quite a bit of boondocking.

Just bought a 2019 F350 Superduty with Powerstroke. This was my severance gold watch to myself. Absolutely love the truck but I've always been a Ford truck guy. Had Carli suspension installed with Firestone airbags. Will be hooking up with a TrailerSaver BD5 hitch.

We want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and experiences here. It has been very helpful making decisions on the RV and supporting gear. Hope to have pictures when we're fully equipped. Stay safe and God bless.

oskur

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow how did we all miss this first post? Welcome to the club oskur d, you will enjoy that new Solitude for sure, they are a well built beautiful trailer. Enjoy!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tx. I've only been to San Antonio once, when my son graduated bmt at Lackland in July of 98. Sure was hot (and humid).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. It's a great place with a lot of friendly people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oskur d View Post
    Thanks Tx. I've only been to San Antonio once, when my son graduated bmt at Lackland in July of 98. Sure was hot (and humid).
    Haha that pretty much describes San Antonio but it grows on you
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the life Oskur, unfortunately this is a bad time to become an rv'er. We are all struggling with it. Congratulations on the retirement and the gold (Ford) watch. I bought myself a few retirement gifts when I retired also. Good camera, good GPS, a fly fishing rod. Silly stuff I always compromised on so other priorities could be met. Enjoy, hopefully you will get to go this fall.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Welcome to the life Oskur, unfortunately this is a bad time to become an rv'er. We are all struggling with it. Congratulations on the retirement and the gold (Ford) watch. I bought myself a few retirement gifts when I retired also. Good camera, good GPS, a fly fishing rod. Silly stuff I always compromised on so other priorities could be met. Enjoy, hopefully you will get to go this fall.
    Thanks D2. Not too worried about the timing, probably won't get it until August anyway. Hopefully things will settle down by then. Being retired now I'm learning how to slow down a bit and know that we'll get many years of enjoyment from this RVing thing. Thanks for the warm welcome. Stay safe.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your retirement. Our dealer had a Reflection model in the production process, and we made one change and took delivery in 2 weeks. I had to scramble to come up with the $ to pay him that fast. RV manufacturers have production "slots" reserved. On retail orders, I would hope your dealer would have a "slot" reserved to where it won't take you so long.

And by the way, Grand Design will take your trailer off their assembly line to Morryde for the axle/brake conversion.

When you get your Solitude, be sure to take a few short trips to local campgrounds to get used to handling such a big rig. Long trips need to be reserved for a little later. And I hope your SuperDuty truck is a F350 dually as the Solitudes have too much kingpin weight for my F250 Superduty.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oskur d View Post
    Being retired now I'm learning how to slow down a bit
    About 3 months after I "retired" I totally freaked out, panic attacks, couldn't sleep, headed down the depression lane. Trying to figure out what was wrong, then it dawned on me, it's the first time since I was 15 that I had not gone to work. The few times I missed work bad things happened. Now I am not working. OH MY! Then the pension check cleared for the second time, well maybe it'll be ok, then a couple more cleared, ok, I am getting this.

It's a significant life transition. Just remember that today's events are a bump in the road, like so many that we have survived in life, and if things go well you will adventuring by fall.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the clubs (the forum and retirement ).
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast