User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Hitch for 2020 Chevy GMC 2500HD

Newbie here. We have a 2020 Reflection 303 RLS and were all set to install the Andersen 3220 - Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2 - Gooseneck on our new 2020 GMC 2500 HD, only to discover it does not fit. More specifically , "due to the build of 2020 Chevy & GMC Trucks, the Ultimate Connection will not provide enough clearance". (Tail gate and side rail clearance)

Recommendations? We wanted the Andersen because it was light weight, easy in and out. We were prepared to forego the 90 degree turn that a slider might give. Looking for the advice, wisdom and experience of my new colleagues here on the Forum.

Thanks in advance!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my B&W. Its not the lightest hitch and I am not sure how many times you remove yours from the truck. I am 67 and I take mine out by myself. If you have the gooseneck on your RV they do make a extension or a different pin box so you can just put the ball in the bed. If your RV is under warranty, you need to call GD to make sure you don't void your warranty.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Curt Slider A16 (16000 lbs) Works great. Can be removed in two pieces easily by one healthy person. I use a chain hoist to take mine out in one piece and put it on a mount I made which allows me to move it wherever I want in the garage. Only take it out in late Fall. May not put it back in till mid summer the way things look
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJOB View Post
    Newbie here. We have a 2020 Reflection 303 RLS and were all set to install the Andersen 3220 - Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2 - Gooseneck on our new 2020 GMC 2500 HD, only to discover it does not fit. More specifically , "due to the build of 2020 Chevy & GMC Trucks, the Ultimate Connection will not provide enough clearance". (Tail gate and side rail clearance)

Recommendations? We wanted the Andersen because it was light weight, easy in and out. We were prepared to forego the 90 degree turn that a slider might give. Looking for the advice, wisdom and experience of my new colleagues here on the Forum.

Thanks in advance!
    Your post is of interest to those of us looking at the new generation GM HDs. There have been a few here with the 2020s sharing that the new fiver/goose platform dimensions are different and thus prior hitches (most if not all brands) will not fit. The good news is that they are working on redesigning the hitchs to fit and/or introduce brackets to make prior hitch models fit the new 2020 GMs..

I am curious about your feedback on not enough clearance for the tail gate and side rails. Where did you learn this (only for the Andersen ?) and do you know what the specific differences are ?

Thanks, Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a thread here: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...788#post282788 that has some more info that I replied to as well. It may help.

With my non-slider hitch, I have no problems with interference, that is to the sides and tailgate. I haven't tried to make a 90 degree turn, but close, also with no problems.
    Mike & Marta
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD CC standard bed Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride 184 hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pardon my ignorance but can someone explain what the GM folks did to the back end of the truck to cause these issues?

I run a Ram 3500 Megacab with 6'4" bed AND I have Ramboxes. So not only do I have the shortest bed of the big 3 but I also have a narrower bed. I have an Andersen 3200 and works great. Is that why? Difference between rail mount and gooseneck versions?

And so it's clear I'm not saying its perfect for every truck or every situation. But it solves clearance issues for my truck and the situations I put myself in. Mostly curious what changed in the GMs that don't make it a viable solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170922_171449.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	25667

Name:	20171022_175441.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	25668

Name:	20180420_181115.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	25669

Name:	20181013_164201.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	25671

Name:	20181013_164521.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	25672
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    I love my B&W. Its not the lightest hitch and I am not sure how many times you remove yours from the truck. I am 67 and I take mine out by myself. If you have the gooseneck on your RV they do make a extension or a different pin box so you can just put the ball in the bed. If your RV is under warranty, you need to call GD to make sure you don't void your warranty.
    thanks - what is the year and make of your truck?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Your post is of interest to those of us looking at the new generation GM HDs. There have been a few here with the 2020s sharing that the new fiver/goose platform dimensions are different and thus prior hitches (most if not all brands) will not fit. The good news is that they are working on redesigning the hitchs to fit and/or introduce brackets to make prior hitch models fit the new 2020 GMs..

I am curious about your feedback on not enough clearance for the tail gate and side rails. Where did you learn this (only for the Andersen ?) and do you know what the specific differences are ?

Thanks, Dan
    So far I have only 'discovered' this with respect to the Anderson Ultimate Connection 2. There was some small print on the bottom of the hitch configuration chart that was inside the box that the hitch came in (yes - i have already purchased online and received the hitch - arrgh). I spoke to customer service at Andersen and they, in a round about way, confirmed that with the 2020 Chevy GMC's, clearance is a problem. They advised that i should take a series of measurements - as described in their manual - to determine whether it will clear. it seems that GM has increased the height of the side rails of the box?? Not sure about this as this is the first truck I have bought.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJOB View Post
    So far I have only 'discovered' this with respect to the Anderson Ultimate Connection 2. There was some small print on the bottom of the hitch configuration chart that was inside the box that the hitch came in (yes - i have already purchased online and received the hitch - arrgh). I spoke to customer service at Andersen and they, in a round about way, confirmed that with the 2020 Chevy GMC's, clearance is a problem. They advised that i should take a series of measurements - as described in their manual - to determine whether it will clear. it seems that GM has increased the height of the side rails of the box?? Not sure about this as this is the first truck I have bought.
    Ok, thank you ! Now I am more curious. I will have to go measure the GM 2020HD box and fiver/goose hitch placement dimensions and compare with my current truck.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Ok, thank you ! Now I am more curious. I will have to go measure the GM 2020HD box and fiver/goose hitch placement dimensions and compare with my current truck.

Dan
    I stand corrected - it seems that the height of the side rails and tailgate are the same from the previous model (<2019) to the new model (2020). I had the sales guy from the dealer go out and measure both models and they are the same. What has changed is the length of the box on the standard bed. I believe it was 6'5" (or 6'6") and for 2020 has been increased to 6'10". This has changed the location of factory installed fiver/goose hitch placement. Apparently this is what has the hitch manufacturers scrambling???

Sorry for the previous misinformation.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast