User Tag List

Thread: Propane Doors

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Doors

I have a 2019 381M and my propane door latch does not extend far enough to keep the door closed. I have been searching for a latch that has a longer catch. Has anyone had this problem and came up with a fix?
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 381M
    2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do make cam locks with different lengths of the “catch” (your term). Measure the one you currently have and then find on that has a longer extension.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moppie14 View Post
    I have a 2019 381M and my propane door latch does not extend far enough to keep the door closed. I have been searching for a latch that has a longer catch. Has anyone had this problem and came up with a fix?
    Are both latches having the problem or is it just the bottom latch? If it's just the bottom latch look to see if the metal lip along the bottom is bent towards the outside. At least on my 337 the metal is very soft and when I was putting a fresh tank into the compartment I bent the metal because I made the mistake of resting the bottle on what's part of the door frame instead of the actual shelf. It's easy to bend back into place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramcneal View Post
    Are both latches having the problem or is it just the bottom latch? If it's just the bottom latch look to see if the metal lip along the bottom is bent towards the outside. At least on my 337 the metal is very soft and when I was putting a fresh tank into the compartment I bent the metal because I made the mistake of resting the bottle on what's part of the door frame instead of the actual shelf. It's easy to bend back into place.
    The door trim is ok, the latch is just to short the same applys to the top door, have been searching the inner net for longer latch. Also grand Design does not have a different latch is the response the dealer gave me.
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 381M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    They do make cam locks with different lengths of the “catch” (your term). Measure the one you currently have and then find on that has a longer extension.
    Been looking but unable the find one, do you have any idea of a possible supplier?
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 381M

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try ACE hardware. Ours has an assortment of different size and shape "catches" and cylinder locks.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like shimming the hinges and strike plates would be an easier answer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The door trim is ok, the latch is just to short the same applys to the top door, have been searching the inner net for longer latch. Also grand Design does not have a different latch is the response the dealer gave me.
    Can you post a picture of the door frame? Sounds like the frame may have shifted. Also check the hing side for damage (frame bent in. Look inside at the back of the frame and it may be held in place with screws. If so, remove them and gently move the frame inward, and then re attach. Fill the old holes with tooth picks and glue before shifting the frame. In my case my door was too tight and the dealer just adjusted the frame.

Hope this helps.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been looking but unable the find one, do you have any idea of a possible supplier?
    RVlocksandmore.com sells cylinder locks with various latch arm lengths. I don't know if they sell just the latch arm though. You might call them. They are generally very helpful.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL