User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolute noob, take 2

Hello all,

Thank you all for your kind advice a few months ago when I started the purchase of my new 2800BH. Picked it up today, and just got it home 2 hours ago. First time pulling a trailer, and the 40 mile drive scared the bejesus out of me, but I got it home. Turns out the anti-sway adjustment on the cheap hitch the sold me wasn't tightened down, so hopefully less scary next time. Also learned that I cannot back a trailer worth a damn either, but its in my yard, level and the stabilizers down, so I call it a success.

Now to learn. Thanks to Sgt ROC and the others who have been so helpful.

I am trying to convince the DW to camp out in the yard tonight, she says it's too cold still. Oh well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job getting it home safely! We've all been right there with you on that maiden voyage

We love our 2800BH and I'm sure you will as well. Have fun and be safe out there!

BTW, we have a summer trip planned to the Winnipesaukee area (I'm a native Mainer)...hoping things settle down by then and we don't have to cancel.
    John and Jessica - Plus 3 Kids...2 Cats...2 Dogs
    Tucson, AZ - Sabino Creek

2019 Imagine 2800BH
    Towing with 2018 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Super Crew

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, yes, I hope it settles down soon. I used to live in Phoenix (One of my projects was Bank One Ballpark) then moved up here in 99. Hope to snowbird to AZ when I retire in a few years; that was the exact reason we bought it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cicatriz View Post
    Also learned that I cannot back a trailer worth a damn
    I still use the "hand on the bottom of the wheel, turn it the way you want the trailer to go" trick. Then some days you are a genius and some days a dope. Congrats on getting it home, hopefully you will be able to use it this summer....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cicatriz View Post
    Hello all,

Thank you all for your kind advice a few months ago when I started the purchase of my new 2800BH. Picked it up today, and just got it home 2 hours ago. First time pulling a trailer, and the 40 mile drive scared the bejesus out of me, but I got it home. Turns out the anti-sway adjustment on the cheap hitch the sold me wasn't tightened down, so hopefully less scary next time. Also learned that I cannot back a trailer worth a damn either, but its in my yard, level and the stabilizers down, so I call it a success.

Now to learn. Thanks to Sgt ROC and the others who have been so helpful.

I am trying to convince the DW to camp out in the yard tonight, she says it's too cold still. Oh well.
    To learn backing place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Whichever way you move you hand is the way the back of the trailer will move. I suggest taking another test drive withthe sway control tightened down. Also check tire pressures. Find an empty parking lot (unfortunately should be easy now) and practice backing into spaces. Take some cones or other objects (safe to drive over) to mark out different configurations. Now this is important "TAIL SWING". When you turn the back end of the trailer will swing out more than you think. Park directly beside a parking spot line (trailer parallel) and have you wife make a hard turn away from the line you parked on, and watch and mark how far the tail swings out. Why do you need to know this?? My brother did not know his new trailer tail swing and made a mess of things (damaged his new trailer and the gas pump) when he pulled out from the pump. He snagged the hose and hit the bollard. Easy to do if you forget. He now has his wife watch if there is a question.

Don't want to scare you, but practice . There are also some excellent You-Tube videos on this subject. Have fun - you will be conformable in no time. Also read up on your hitch for proper use of the sway control.

Hope this helps.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    To learn backing place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Whichever way you move you hand is the way the back of the trailer will move. I suggest taking another test drive withthe sway control tightened down. Also check tire pressures. Find an empty parking lot (unfortunately should be easy now) and practice backing into spaces. Take some cones or other objects (safe to drive over) to mark out different configurations. Now this is important "TAIL SWING". When you turn the back end of the trailer will swing out more than you think. Park directly beside a parking spot line (trailer parallel) and have you wife make a hard turn away from the line you parked on, and watch and mark how far the tail swings out. Why do you need to know this?? My brother did not know his new trailer tail swing and made a mess of things (damaged his new trailer and the gas pump) when he pulled out from the pump. He snagged the hose and hit the bollard. Easy to do if you forget. He now has his wife watch if there is a question.

Don't want to scare you, but practice . There are also some excellent You-Tube videos on this subject. Have fun - you will be conformable in no time. Also read up on your hitch for proper use of the sway control.

Hope this helps.
    That helps tremendously. You are correct, there is a mall with an empty parking lot 1/2 mile from me. Since I am furloughed from my job for a bit, I will put the days off to use.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will come second nature quicker then you think. Practice is important....Like stated^^^^ Cones in a large parking lot.....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all went through the backing up learning curve. Fun - isn't it? Hang in there. You'll get it figured out.

Practicing in a big parking lot always helped me. The only 2 pieces of advice I'll give is that once you get the trailer turning straighten out your wheel and sort of follow the trailer into the parking spot. That and I find pulling forward a foot or two after I get backed up a bit helps realign things; I do that at least once and maybe more just about every time I back up.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp Have Griff Will Travel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other big thing to remember when towing is to make wide turns! And of course pay special attention at service stations.
    Philip & Nancy
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie
    2020 Reflection 303RLS